Free Bass guitar lessons

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Free Bass guitar lessons
Free Bass guitar lessons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stryfer's bass covers

+8
Guzco
BlackF89
maxf13
Some freaky guy
DubHertz
akyra
Fuzzy
Stryfer
12 posters

Go down

Stryfer's bass covers Empty Stryfer's bass covers

Post  Stryfer Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:04 am

I know I'm refering to myself in the 3rd person, but at least the topic is more obvious than "my bass covers" or something like that.
So, I found a website where I can upload mp3 files. I don't own a webcam, so you only get audio, sorry guys Razz.
Those of you who have seen the thread where I have asked for recording tips already know this, but for those who don't here it is:
I have serious issues with keeping my bass sound intact when recording, so I used a LOT of compression which makes my attack suffer a bit. Some parts are muddy, the ones where I try to pick pure notes without having the string click on the fret, this is because my sound card can't handle all that low end and most of it is completely lost.
Also, the 5 fret on the G needs replacing and it produces a horrible screech XD (the same problem is present on the 10th fret of the G, but I don't use that one in these songs).

Other than that, I'd like some opinions on my playing. Any suggestions for improvement are appreciated. afro
Here's what I've uploaded so far:
http://www.upload-mp3.com/files/134203_ufrd6/Wickerman%20-%20bass.mp3
http://www.upload-mp3.com/files/134201_bu7mx/Metro%20-%20bass.mp3
http://www.upload-mp3.com/files/134200_fca6p/Smooth%20Criminal%20-%20bass.mp3
http://www.upload-mp3.com/files/134191_vdvnt/Toxicity%20-%20bass.mp3
http://www.upload-mp3.com/files/134190_6cbfk/Easily%20-%20bass.mp3
http://www.upload-mp3.com/files/121700_n2ptp/Aces%20High%20-%20bass.mp3

If this works, I'll upload more. Since I've been without a band for a year now, I need a few judges to point out my flaws.
In the future I will experiment with less compression and try cutting a bit of the low end from my original sound in hopes of keeping my sound more intact. Also, I will fix those frets...hopefully...

If you've read this entire post, congratulations! XD Not many people can listen to me for that long

Stryfer

Back to top Go down

Stryfer's bass covers Empty Re: Stryfer's bass covers

Post  Fuzzy Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:23 am

"This file is not available because you are either not logged in or don't have the owner's permission to view it."

Crying or Very sad
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  akyra Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:24 am

Your not aloud Fuzzy Razz
akyra
akyra

Back to top Go down

Post  DubHertz Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:00 pm

Seems like you've found a site where you can upload mp3's. cheers

But it looks like only you can access them Stryfer. Crying or Very sad
DubHertz
DubHertz

Back to top Go down

Post  Some freaky guy Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:36 pm

Access denied Sad
Some freaky guy
Some freaky guy
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Stryfer Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:35 pm

Oooooook, try again guys. I just found out there are 3 settings. By default it is set so that only I can view them, now I changed it so that anyone who knows the URL can. If you still can't see them, I'll set to be freely accesible.

Stryfer

Back to top Go down

Post  DubHertz Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:53 pm

It works now
DubHertz
DubHertz

Back to top Go down

Post  maxf13 Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:37 pm

lols that smooth criminal is on steroids
i swear the song is slower normally
maxf13
maxf13

Back to top Go down

Post  Stryfer Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:00 pm

It's the Alien Ant Farm version XD

Stryfer

Back to top Go down

Post  Fuzzy Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:40 am

Nice!
The Alien Ant Farm version of Smooth Criminal was one of the first songs I learnt.
cheers
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Stryfer Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:55 am

It's now 3.35 AM and I'm done recording myself. I've uploaded a few new files.

The first is Parallel Universe played with fingers. Yes, I didn't use a pick. Instead, I maxed out the compression (as I did in my previous files) and played the whole thing with my fingers. My sound gets lost and muffled a lot, so towards the end I played a few false and random notes to make myself stand out and show that I'm actually still playing XD.
http://www.upload-mp3.com/files/143774_8r9ur/Parallel%20Universe%20-%20bass.mp3

The second is The Trooper, the first recording I did with my EQ set to my regular playing sound and zero compression. The gallops sound rather poor, even though I'm doing them right as can be heard when I play on the D string in the solo area. Looks like my sound card still can handle the sound as well as I had hoped, even though I'm focusing only on mids this time. Also, a few mistakes in certain parts of the song as I was overdoing the impro.
http://www.upload-mp3.com/files/143773_ggzyo/The%20Trooper%20-%20bass.mp3

Finally, I came here while trying to learn to slap properly and I'd like to show you how much I've learned. Sadly, I can't. This is again with zero compression, and with a "mid scoop" effect. This means that it's a low/high style sound with no mids. This is, again, the sound I use when I regularly play. The pops can be heard well, but the slaps completely fade out. Also when I switch to finger style the sound again suffers and fades, because of the slap set up. I might try and play around with the EQ pedal when switching from slap to finger etc, but that won't help the slaps get any clearer over the PC. :S
http://www.upload-mp3.com/files/143772_keueg/Higher%20ground%20-%20bass.mp3

Stryfer

Back to top Go down

Post  BlackF89 Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:36 am

Stryfer wrote:

Finally, I came here while trying to learn to slap properly and I'd like to show you how much I've learned. Sadly, I can't. This is again with zero compression, and with a "mid scoop" effect. This means that it's a low/high style sound with no mids. This is, again, the sound I use when I regularly play. The pops can be heard well, but the slaps completely fade out. Also when I switch to finger style the sound again suffers and fades, because of the slap set up. I might try and play around with the EQ pedal when switching from slap to finger etc, but that won't help the slaps get any clearer over the PC. :S
http://www.upload-mp3.com/files/143772_keueg/Higher%20ground%20-%20bass.mp3

I can't slap on the A I don't know why it just f***s me up :/ Youre right about the slaps being hard to hear but I can make them out. Sounds good to me, a few slips in timing here and there but not many at all (I couldn't do better haha). I've been toying with the EQ of cutting bass and just having my mids on flat, treble up a bit and boosting my gain on my amp for slapping for the past few days. Sounds okay to me but then again I have brand new strings on.
BlackF89
BlackF89

Back to top Go down

Post  Guzco Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:40 am

So, you actually can play Parallel Universe with your fingers.

I'm impressed.
Guzco
Guzco

Back to top Go down

Post  Thor Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:08 pm

Love your cover of the trooper i can play it but not half as good as you Smile

Thor

Back to top Go down

Post  Nocturnal_Pulse Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:20 pm

Ok I surely cannot slap yet.

But you are awesome lol well done that's a nicely done cover, very smooth (about Higher) king

I am going to listen to Smooth Criminal too coz I cannot help it. LOL

---Smooth Criminal: Is that with a pick or Walking?

I can't judge you man, I can't play the 1/4 of that yet... Enjoyed it tho with all my heart hehe
Nocturnal_Pulse
Nocturnal_Pulse
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Stryfer Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:21 am

I use fingers for everything, even Parallel Universe. I can't play with a pick to save my life Embarassed I don't why, but I never had a drive to learn it; always prefered my fingers.

Although I was looking for criticism, the praise is a nice confidence boost What a Face Thanks to everyone who replied! cheers (and those who reply in the future Wink )

BlackF89: That sounds like a very trebleish slap sound. I'm not sure what bass you have, but if I set my amp to that I lose too much structure and don't like it :S The sound you heard is cut mids, flat high and a boost to bass. I like that punchy bass slap tone Smile. As far as A slapping goes, if your problem is hitting the E string, try turning your wrist slightly so that your thumb kind of hits the A string on the bottom side. Hard to explain, but I have noticed that when I switch from E to A my wrist curves a little.

Stryfer

Back to top Go down

Post  BlackF89 Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:03 am

Cheers for the tip dude, I get what you're saying but I'm finding that my wrist's retarded when I pop the G I can slap any of the strings now fine, and pop any string whilst slapping else where apart from when I'm slapping the A and popping the G :S... ah well practice practice practice. geek

I'm using my Warwick double buck only at the moment, full rich tone. Plus my amp is an ampeg one so I'm probably just finding it easier to get a fatter sound with that EQ
BlackF89
BlackF89

Back to top Go down

Post  Dropthelines585 Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:47 pm

You've gone and spoiled yourself.
Dropthelines585
Dropthelines585
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Stryfer Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:53 pm

Heh, it's funny. I've always had a bigger problem slapping the E and poping the D, while the A and G were easier. Not sure how you slap, but the problem persists even now after I switched to Flea style slapping. This might be because I have a 5 string and getting my finger in between the strings is rough, as well as hitting the fat E with the fatter B/H above.

Stryfer

Back to top Go down

Post  Dropthelines585 Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:12 pm

I could understand why slapping with the thumb perpendicular to the string on a 5 string could be difficult. I personally don't understand why anyone would do it that way. Not very precise if you ask me. If you try the parallel method you may have better results.
Dropthelines585
Dropthelines585
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Stryfer Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:35 pm

To be honest, this slap style suits me the best. I've gotten very accurate, although I still prefer my fingers. I've tried parallel too, but then I don't get all the tone I wan't XD

Stryfer

Back to top Go down

Post  Dmanlamius Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:20 am

Really well played, man! Very Happy

And this just echos my feeling that you can get a pick "sound" by messing with your EQ, and using your fingers in a certain way. It's all in the tone.

Perfect for people that don't like a pick!
Dmanlamius
Dmanlamius

Back to top Go down

Post  Stryfer Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:02 am

Thanks Dman! Compliments from you really mean a lot Very Happy

Stryfer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down