Free Bass guitar lessons

What inspired you to pick up the bass?

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: What inspired you to pick up the bass?

Post  akyra on Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:07 am

f8tlbyte wrote:
Pippynip wrote:I got bored of Guitar Hero, pretty much.

That's why I got Rock Band. Very Happy , still play it from time to time, and I still suck on drums.

I used to be great at guitar hero.. Started playing the bass... now I suck... Conquincidence, I think not.

I always wanted to play an instrument... But I have no patience... I tried keyboards, guitar and drums. Although I loved the drums, a drum kit takes up alot of space.

Sooooooo I was thinking... What COULD I do..... and then it came to me BASS!!

I finally got one at Christmas and have played it everyday since!. I love it. and I have the patience for it cause you can make it as easy or as hard as you like XD

Back to top Go down

Post  Pippynip on Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:38 am

I'm still pretty good at Rock Band, but I'm shit at GH 'cause of calibration issues Sad

GH boredom wasn't really the reason I started bass. I had one of those 'omg i gotta get me one o dem' moments when I kinda really noticed the bass in a couple of songs (Lucretia, My Reflection by Sisters of Mercy and GET UP GET ON UP LIKE A SEX MACHINE GET ON UP by James Brown). Not like "oh there's a bass there i didn't know that", more "...that sounds really awesome I want to do that". Getting bored of GH was purely coincidental Razz

An opinion solicited does not equal one freely voiced.
Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dropthelines585 on Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:36 pm

When I get bummed out about my gimp hand I watch this guy. It could always be worse.

Dropthelines585
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  akyra on Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:50 pm

Yeah but lets face it..

He f'ing awesome XD

Back to top Go down

Post  Late2bass on Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:53 pm

Now that is just plain staggering!!!! I am beginning to understand the full meaning of the term ''INADEQUATE''!!!!!

Bearing in mind I was the talentless geek that posted "How do I get quicker?" and he's doing that with just one hand.

Gonna have to have a long lie down and decide whether to just give up, or use that as some sort of aspirational motivation..... Embarassed

Steve

Back to top Go down

Post  Dropthelines585 on Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:47 pm

just cut off your right hand
Dropthelines585
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  akyra on Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:55 pm

I don't cutting off limbs is the way to go..

Dont tell people that, we may end up with a forum of one handed bass players D: Lulz

Back to top Go down

Post  Dropthelines585 on Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:04 pm

That's my plan. Then I will be superior!
Dropthelines585
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rushfan30 on Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:04 am

I think my username gives my main reason for the most part... Geddy Lee was the first person to inspire me to play bass. When I first heard Yyz and My Favorite Headache (from his solo album) I was sold, also John Entwhistle, Flea, Chris Squire, Sean Andrews, and Marcus Miller really made me want to play bass Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  BlackF89 on Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:06 pm

Rushfan30 wrote:I think my username gives my main reason for the most part... Geddy Lee was the first person to inspire me to play bass. When I first heard Yyz and My Favorite Headache (from his solo album) I was sold, also John Entwhistle, Flea, Chris Squire, Sean Andrews, and Marcus Miller really made me want to play bass Very Happy
I love Geddy Lee's playing, his tone is what a bass should sound like imo

Back to top Go down

Post  Nocturnal_Pulse on Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:43 pm

I got inspired by Red hot (Slap n Pop) Chili Peppers.... lol

Now I am inspired by every bass player that can actually play something more that B-B-B-B-B-B-A lol
Nocturnal_Pulse
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ezekiel on Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:19 pm

A friend of mine started playing a long time ago and when he died i was given his bass guitars by his girl friend. She told me that my friend always wanted me to learn how to play and if something should happen to him to give me all his bass gear. I felt like i had to learn...now i really enjoy just picking up the bass and playing...its so relaxing and fun. I wish i had started sooner its really a great part of enjoying life. I find that just playing can take me out of a bad mood and make things feel/seem so much better.

Back to top Go down

Post  akyra on Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:34 pm

ezekiel wrote:A friend of mine started playing a long time ago and when he died i was given his bass guitars by his girl friend. She told me that my friend always wanted me to learn how to play and if something should happen to him to give me all his bass gear. I felt like i had to learn...now i really enjoy just picking up the bass and playing...its so relaxing and fun. I wish i had started sooner its really a great part of enjoying life. I find that just playing can take me out of a bad mood and make things feel/seem so much better.

That is actually the sweetest thing I have ever heard.

Smile Its great you enjoy it so much

Back to top Go down

Post  Nocturnal_Pulse on Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:59 pm

ezekiel wrote:A friend of mine started playing a long time ago and when he died i was given his bass guitars by his girl friend. She told me that my friend always wanted me to learn how to play and if something should happen to him to give me all his bass gear. I felt like i had to learn...now i really enjoy just picking up the bass and playing...its so relaxing and fun. I wish i had started sooner its really a great part of enjoying life. I find that just playing can take me out of a bad mood and make things feel/seem so much better.

That's epic.
Nocturnal_Pulse
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Fuzzy on Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:11 am

I love you

Back to top Go down

Post  KrysH on Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:07 pm

I played before £*&$% years ago and just lately I got bored with keyboards and acoustic guitar, plus - Tony Levin! Saw him on the Peter Garbriel Secret World Tour and actually met him afterwards, he's a really nice guy and I'd love to be able to play like him.

Back to top Go down

Post  FranR on Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:21 pm

I picked up the bass to be able to play at smaller locations (where my drumkit wouldn't fit) and still have something rhythmic. So unlike maybe a guitarist I didn't view my bass as a guitar with fewer strings, but rather as a drumkit with strings.

Of course I started out playing rootnotes, but it evolved to much more quickly after that. Still with some songs that I don't know well I usualy revert back to root notes but try to apply them rhythmiticaly.

Back to top Go down

Post  Dropthelines585 on Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:44 pm

I love that bass can be just as much of a percussion instrument as it is a stringed instrument. Just so versatile.
Dropthelines585
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Protoplm on Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:30 am

Opportunity. My friend turned around one day and asked me if I wanted to learn to play drums. He said he would buy me a set and I agreed. He ended up buying himself the set and giving me his bass and equipment. I hardly knew the guy at the time, now he's my best friend, and music is my passion.

Back to top Go down

Post  spacedraptor on Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:33 pm

I was listening to a Saxon album and thought that the heavy guitar sound was cool, i was also a musical idiot & thought that was the bass guitar.

what added insult to injury was at the music shop the salesman at the music shop sold me a kay bass, but didn't have any bass amps, so he sold be a badger guitar amp saying don't worry kid it will make you sound like lemmy. Little did he know what he had unleashed upon this earth, i still play with full gain making heavily distorted bass sounds.

Back to top Go down

Post  caliburn50 on Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:58 pm

Bordom and wanting a new challenge that and a mid life crisis sunny

Back to top Go down

Post  BassistMcKay on Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:02 pm

I wanted to play bass for almost as long as I can remember. My dad took me to a concert when I was about 5 (don't remember who it was, just an old band) and I remember how the bassist was the most active. Also, he played with no shoes on. Something about that and the way his sound made all the songs sound so much better got me. I had to wait until just last Christmas to finally play the bass though Sad

Back to top Go down

Post  de_fender on Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:09 pm

mike dirnt plain and simple cheers he inspired me to play but ive had no time and im just picking it back up again now

Back to top Go down

Post  akyra on Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:34 pm

awesome Smile Welcome to the forum dude

Back to top Go down

Post  KrysH on Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:16 am

spacedraptor wrote:I was listening to a Saxon album and thought that the heavy guitar sound was cool, i was also a musical idiot & thought that was the bass guitar.

what added insult to injury was at the music shop the salesman at the music shop sold me a kay bass, but didn't have any bass amps, so he sold be a badger guitar amp saying don't worry kid it will make you sound like lemmy. Little did he know what he had unleashed upon this earth, i still play with full gain making heavily distorted bass sounds.

OMG a Kay bass? That's enough to put you off for life lol!! affraid

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top