Free Bass guitar lessons

What inspired you to pick up the bass?

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: What inspired you to pick up the bass?

Post  Lazerrus on Fri May 27, 2011 10:38 pm

Hi all. New to the forum. I am 41 now and my inspiration came very early from being introduced to Iron Maiden and Steve "Harry" Harris at the age of 11. I have been a hobby bassist for many years never having the time to really learn appropriately with getting married at 18 and a daughter at 21. Well now She has grown and my time is now mine so I am starting a little late. I have been in a few bands through out the years but now I want to get serious about my playing. SO I hope you all don't mind an old guy like me joining the frey Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post  Pippynip on Fri May 27, 2011 10:44 pm

Better late than never Very Happy

Yeah, welcome to the forum good sir. How long have you been playing?

An opinion solicited does not equal one freely voiced.
Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lazerrus on Fri May 27, 2011 11:45 pm

Off and on about 15 years. But as a closet bassist like I said. I get all gung ho for awhile then life would throw me some curves and I would have to set down again. This has been ongoing. Hopefully now I can stay with it. Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post  Pippynip on Sat May 28, 2011 12:01 am

Communities are great for that. I wouldn't be anywhere near as good as I am now (and I'm not even that good) without this 'ere forum. On that note, I'm going to play my bass now Smile

at 1 in the morning

I've got a lot of work to do

...It can wait.

An opinion solicited does not equal one freely voiced.
Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Some freaky guy on Sat May 28, 2011 2:07 pm

Great to see more people joining in, really hope you stay with us!
Some freaky guy
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  willba on Sat May 28, 2011 4:08 pm

Welcome to the forum cheers

I went on holiday to Santa Rosa ages ago, nice place Very Happy
willba
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperMaximo93 on Sun May 29, 2011 8:34 pm

Woah, I missed this somehow. Welcome to the forum! Hope you have a good time here Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  lololiet on Sun May 29, 2011 8:40 pm

Hmm, I never knew Steve Harris was nicknamed Harry..

Welcome.
lololiet
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidM96 on Sun May 29, 2011 11:56 pm

welcome to the forum!
DavidM96
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MetalJacob on Sun May 29, 2011 11:59 pm

Welcome dude!

Back to top Go down

Post  violinbass on Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:45 pm

I've always loved music and had relatives that played instruments. My mom played piano and her sister played guitar. Their cousin playes in a bluegrass band. Even my grandmother played harmonica. I decided to get serious about playing something other than the radio. Laughing Always wanted to learn the guitar since I was a kid. Been looking at bass videos online which helped a lot after finding someone that went over the fretboard. To me, that was most helpful.

Back to top Go down

Post  Dead Goon on Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:52 pm

When I first started getting into music I got really into Muse and Radiohead*1 and back then I was absolutely blown away by both of those bands. At first I was really inspired by Matt Bellamy and Thom Yorke's voices but after realising I really can't sing whatsoever and I really lack the confidence to be a "frontman" I looked elsewhere. I really loved Matt's guitar playing but I have extremely short and stubby fingers and I got really annoyed and impatient with the guitar because of this and since my Mum wouldn't let me get a drum kit I just picked up the bass and stuck with it.

For the first year or so, all I really did was learn Muse songs and by a few other bands. This led to me discovering Primus which in turn made me think "Damn, am I glad I picked up the bass if that's what I have to work towards..." However about 6 months ago I got in a really bad rut and pretty much left my bass alone for like 5 months. I maintained most of my technique ability and general knowledge but I feel like I'm learning everything all over again and it's all pretty overwhelming and making me feel useless. I'm currently playing more than ever*2 after applying for a music college to improve my musical abilites and also to meet some cool people*3 and hopefully get in to some bands and start playing with other people.

*1 I still am, although I can't really appreciate much post-Absolution Muse anymore
*2 Kinda... Damn you Skyrim!
*3 And more specifically one very lucky lady who will, hopefully, recieve the best 2 minutes of her life courtesy of me.

Back to top Go down

Post  jonny121 on Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:43 pm

ive been a big who fan from the age of about 14, when i saw videos of john entwistle playing i was like, whats that guy doing back there??? i looked it up and it turned out he played this thing called a bass... Razz so form then on when i listened to the whos songs i would listen for the basslines, and i was mesmerised, the year after i bought my first bass and now im here Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  leftybassgirl on Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:04 am

When I turned 10, my parents bought be a pink Barbie acoustic guitar..lol. I tried my best to play, but then I realized with frustration that I'm getting nowhere because of the whole left handed thing, which both of my parents just overlooked. Shocked Needless to say, I gave up any musical dreams for a while, at least with guitar. I tried piano three times, once when I was 8 and another time when I was 11, and then again for school, but...I just lack the piano skill. Haha. But then I got into music a lot and I started listening for the different instruments in all the songs that I liked, and I loved the bass more than anything else. I slowly started to want to play again, but my final decision to play was when I became a fan of Silversun Pickups. Nikki Monninger just rocks on bass, haha. She's a big inspiration of mine.

Back to top Go down

Post  MetalJacob on Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:23 am

^ I am now a Silversun Pickups fan because of you.

Back to top Go down

Post  leftybassgirl on Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:13 am

Cool! And just in time for their new album next spring, too. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic View next topic Back to top