Free Bass guitar lessons

Learning bass without an actual teacher...

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Learning bass without an actual teacher...

Post  Nocturnal_Pulse on Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:02 pm

BlackF89 wrote:I'll just throw in (if it hasn't been mentioned) that Mr Claypool is self taught

You kidding, right... lol???
Nocturnal_Pulse
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dropthelines585 on Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:03 pm

No joke. If you've seen any of my vids you'll see that he's quite obviously my biggest musical influence.
Dropthelines585
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nocturnal_Pulse on Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:05 pm

Dropthelines585 wrote:No joke. If you've seen any of my vids you'll see that he's quite obviously my biggest musical influence.

I watched the 3 you got on myspace, and you are influenced for sure; but you both are self-tought now.

I agree that I have many online helping around rabbit
Nocturnal_Pulse
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dmanlamius on Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:48 am

Very cool thread!

Well, as you guys know, I'm completely self taught. Never had a lesson in my life. Never read a book on bass, nothing.

Back in the day when I started (the early nineties) we didn't have teh internetz. What I used to do was leave my video (no DVD's back then) on every night, and tape MTV. Because music was go great in the early nineties, you knew for a fact that that tape would be filled with very cool stuff!

And it seems crazy now, looking back, but those tapes were my teacher. I used to watch all my favourite bands, and just watch the bass player (rare the camera was on them!) and keep on re-winding the video until I got the line down. That was it, that was what I used to do to learn.

(I remember destroying the video that had soul to squeeze by the chilis on it by rewinding it too much!)

As well as listen to a LOT of music. I mean....24/7.

But these days, people have it much easier. Man...the internet. The internet is so powerful. You guys are SO lucky.

But, like Stry says, what would I be now if I HAD a teacher? Looking back, I really wish I had taken lessons (somehow). Teachers vs's teachingyourself = teachers win.

But....consider this. IF I had been taught by someone else, would I have become a product of their teaching? A lot of people say I'm a unique bass player. That must be because I taught myself. I had no idea how to do things, so I created my own path if you see what I mean? Is there a danger that teachers just teach us to play like themselves, and any organic creativity is lost?

Back to top Go down

Post  Dropthelines585 on Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:59 am

You make a good point. I think a teacher early on would be okay, but then after you get the basic techniques, I think it's best to send young beavers downstream to build their own damn. (pardon the strange analogy, but it fits)
Dropthelines585
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nocturnal_Pulse on Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:42 pm

Dmanlamius wrote:Very cool thread!

Well, as you guys know, I'm completely self taught. Never had a lesson in my life. Never read a book on bass, nothing.

Back in the day when I started (the early nineties) we didn't have teh internetz. What I used to do was leave my video (no DVD's back then) on every night, and tape MTV. Because music was go great in the early nineties, you knew for a fact that that tape would be filled with very cool stuff!

And it seems crazy now, looking back, but those tapes were my teacher. I used to watch all my favourite bands, and just watch the bass player (rare the camera was on them!) and keep on re-winding the video until I got the line down. That was it, that was what I used to do to learn.

(I remember destroying the video that had soul to squeeze by the chilis on it by rewinding it too much!)

As well as listen to a LOT of music. I mean....24/7.

But these days, people have it much easier. Man...the internet. The internet is so powerful. You guys are SO lucky.

But, like Stry says, what would I be now if I HAD a teacher? Looking back, I really wish I had taken lessons (somehow). Teachers vs's teachingyourself = teachers win.

But....consider this. IF I had been taught by someone else, would I have become a product of their teaching? A lot of people say I'm a unique bass player. That must be because I taught myself. I had no idea how to do things, so I created my own path if you see what I mean? Is there a danger that teachers just teach us to play like themselves, and any organic creativity is lost?

Okay lots of stuff... and many good points.

At first, I watch videos of bassists like you did, just playing live - or when I go to a concert I can't take my eyes off the bassist. And this is very educative even if I lose a 'hell yeah' from the frontman.

Certainly we are lucky having the internet: books, tabs, methods, software like band-in-a-box or bass simulators (VST plugins and more), youtube is filled with play along songs that you can immitate and learn teqniques. Of course there are crappy vids and books etc but you learn to absorb anything that suits you.

As for the teaching, I trully believe that in some point when we are begginers we are products of them. And it's A SHAME that music education is so pricey. I am unemployed for now, I can't have 100 bucks for 45' of something that I would know from the internet. I would need GUIDANCE, not teaching if you get my point. To have someone say: Hey you can do it likewise. But this forum is a great guide. Many posts lay around with this 'likewise' and helping.

Surely practice is the mother of all education, but how do you stop yourself from being a bass jukebox?

I don't know if I will get a teacher, and how long I will survive with them or the opposite. But it's surely a big dillema, especially when I have internet on my feet.
Nocturnal_Pulse
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ClaytonMUSE on Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:55 pm

I'm currently learning to play without a teacher, I've had no previous musical experience or anything, I've been learning for just over 4 months, and I think my technique is pretty good. I can play aload of random songs, including hysteria by muse which I am pretty proud of because I am a massive muse fan, that doesn't really make me good though because my theory is lacking alot, I read things on the internet and watch aload of videos but I don't really understand properly.

Everyone says that I should play with other musicians and drummers when possible, and I do occasionally, but I really can't keep up with them and I can never come up with a decent bass line that fits with what they're playing. I would like a teacher but at the moment I don't have the money, they're pretty pricey.

If you can afford to, I would say go with a teacher, at least for a little while until you feel confident enough with your ability and knowledge that you can carry on by yourself and develop your own styles etc.

Back to top Go down

Post  Dropthelines585 on Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:09 pm

Dman And I are both self taught so it's not impossible. (Disclaimer:I am, by no means, putting myself on the same level as Dman)

Four months is not really a long time to have been playing, so don't sell yourself short just yet. Hysteria wasn't out when I had been playing for that long, but if it were, I wouldn't have been able to play it. So you're definitely on the right track. I hardly know any theory. I hate theory to be honest. I don't know the names of scales, chords or any of that nonsense. I just put stuff together and experimented 'till I found something that sounded good. I think that my complete ignorance to theory has made my style very unique.
That doesn't mean that I suggest you should blow off theory completely. That's just how I did things.

This is my longest post in a while. I don't normally rant like some ppl. (coughs and points at Dub, Stryf, and Krys.)
Dropthelines585
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nocturnal_Pulse on Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:57 pm

After 4 and half months since I got my bass, I realize much diffirence even in how I see music.
This instrument helped a lot to understand things that I had much difficulty to realize.

I am now faster, but still have problems like playing with a pick (!).

I read in sites, this forum and also have bought a method book and a book with chords for bass and my timing is much accurate now, my fingers stronger and faster.

I really don't know what level would I be with a teacher but since now I am doing good and can't wait to help in this forum, other newbies that like me want to learn bass but can't afford a teacher.

Thanks to all of you.
Nocturnal_Pulse
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bass Mon on Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:38 am

I guess I got lucky with my teacher. He is very good and cheap. Costs me $15 for one hour.

Back to top Go down

Post  Nocturnal_Pulse on Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:50 am

Bass Mon wrote:I guess I got lucky with my teacher. He is very good and cheap. Costs me $15 for one hour.

Yup you are very lucky. For me to get a teacher even from the city's music school which suppose to be cheaper and better I have to give 75 Euros (80-85 $) a month for 4 half hours.
Nocturnal_Pulse
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lololiet on Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:57 am

Nocturnal_Pulse wrote:
Bass Mon wrote:I guess I got lucky with my teacher. He is very good and cheap. Costs me $15 for one hour.

Yup you are very lucky. For me to get a teacher even from the city's music school which suppose to be cheaper and better I have to give 75 Euros (80-85 $) a month for 4 half hours.

75E a month? That's 900(!) a year, The music school around here charges (with some subsidies) 350E a year. I applied for that a while back but they wouldn't take students until the start of next season.
lololiet
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nocturnal_Pulse on Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:59 am

lololiet wrote:
Nocturnal_Pulse wrote:

75E a month? That's 900(!) a year, The music school around here charges (with some subsidies) 350E a year. I applied for that a while back but they wouldn't take students until the start of next season.

After the elections for a new mayor yes it's 75 a month.

With the previous mayor I was taking guitar lessons for 35 a month.

And all the other schools ask for 100 or more a month. A school near my house asks 50 for an hour.

I am going crazy. LOL
Nocturnal_Pulse
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  brk32 on Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:38 am

I have learned without any really "formal" teaching.

I have had a lot of help from Dman, reading things online and a little help from a friend is a very good self taught guitarist.

I'm still in the "beginner" category teetering on the brink of becoming intermediate but I'm aware my work is far from over!

The best thing about this is I don't consider it work! I consider it fun and relaxing and very rewarding. To see myself progress as a bassist is an awesome feeling.

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidM96 on Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:48 pm

+1 for that Brk, i love the feeling when i finally nail a song completely or i get something right. And that's why i love playing bass, i view it as an opportunity to make music instead of just a bass.

and i dont think i have much more to say here as i am taking lessons from my best friends dad. (who luckily happens to be a bassist) Very Happy
DavidM96
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Primussucks on Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:11 pm

hey man...ive been playing for years and never had a lesson...so have soooo many great musicians...look at jimmy page...never had a lesson...or paul gray...he never even played a bass when he joined his first band...its all about your devotion and love for the instrument afro

Back to top Go down

Post  lololiet on Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:18 pm

Pfff, I've been on the waiting list of my local music school for a while now but I got an Email today stating that I could get lessons after the summer but that it wasn't certain yet.
lololiet
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nocturnal_Pulse on Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:58 am

I am still thinking of it.

Will you go to the school? Or not... Am trying to think ways that they could help me with one hour per week lol
Nocturnal_Pulse
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lololiet on Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:46 pm

Nocturnal_Pulse wrote:I am still thinking of it.

Will you go to the school? Or not... Am trying to think ways that they could help me with one hour per week lol

even though I've only had one lesson, I'd say that having an actual teacher really helps.
My teacher spent most of the first lesson assessing my skills and though my technique and theory are both quite good, far better then he expected actually, my rhythm really is quite terrible, so he gave me some exercises that arent hard to play but will mean that I have to mind my timing.

So I think a teacher doesn't as much train you to play better bass as just points out your weaknesses and helps you inprove on them, or something
lololiet
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nocturnal_Pulse on Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:27 am

Thats what am thinking myself too.

I am 65% positive to have one...
Nocturnal_Pulse
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top