Free Bass guitar lessons

Puzzles! (by Spoon)

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Puzzles! (by Spoon)

Post  Smaz on Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:01 pm

Thread suggested & to be run by Spoon... Smile

In this topic I will post a puzzle (below) and you have to give me an answer and why (unless said otherwise). I (spoon) will then say who has won and post another.

Here comes the 1st:

There are three boxes. One is labeled "APPLES" another is labeled "ORANGES". The last one is labeled "APPLES AND ORANGES". You know that each is labeled incorrectly. You may ask me to pick one fruit from one box which you choose.

How can you label the boxes correctly? (and why?)

Please post replies containing your answers using the Spoiler tags (Click 'Others', then spoiler on the buttons above the reply box).

Back to top Go down

Re: Puzzles! (by Spoon)

Post  Smaz on Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:05 pm

I think I worked this one out...

Spoiler:

Right, key piece of information from your post: "You know that each is labeled incorrectly"

So, each label has to move to a different box...

Lets number the boxes:

Box 1: Apples
Box 2: Oranges
Box 3: Apples & Oranges.

So I can ask you to pick one fruit out of one box... If the label on the Apples & Oranges box is wrong, then whichever fruit you pick out of it must be the only fruit in that box. So lets say I ask you to pick one out of box 3, and you pick out an apple. In that case, box number 3 must be Apples. So we now have...

Box 1:
Box 2: Oranges
Box 3: Apples
with Apples & Oranges spare.

Now because you've said all are wrongly labelled, then box 2 must be wrong. We know that box 3 is now right, so the only place that the tag on box 2 can go is on box 1. So...

Box 1: Oranges
Box 2:

Fit the remaining label to the remaining box, and voila... Smile

Box 1: Oranges
Box 2: Apples and Oranges

Sorted? Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Spoon on Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:17 pm

Smaz's answer is right if a little drawn out.

Ill go for a consise version:
Spoiler:

box 1: A
box 2: O
box 3: A&O
because we know all boxes are wrong pick one out of apples and oranges. you pull out an orange.

box 1: A
box 2: O
box 3: A&O O

this means 2 can't be A&O because it will conflict with box 1. So

box 1: A A&O
box 2: O A
box 3: A&O O

anyway new puzzle. (a little harder but not much)

You are mixing cement and the recipe calls for five gallons of water. You have a garden hose giving you all the water you need. The problem is that you only have a four gallon bucket and a seven gallon bucket and nether has graduation marks. Find a method to measure five gallons.

Back to top Go down

Post  maxf13 on Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:08 pm

Spoiler:
first fill up the 4 gallon bucket
then put all of the water in the 7 gallon bucket
repeat the process but as there are already 4 gallons in the 7 gallon bucket and 7-4=3 u will have 1 gallon left in your 4 gallon bucket
empty the 7 gallon bucket anywhere
pour the 1 gallon out of the 4 gallon bucket into the 7 gallon bucket
fill the 4 gallon bucket again and pour the 4 gallons into 7 gallon bucket together with the 1 gallon u already have in there
this gives you your 5 gallons

Back to top Go down

Post  Spoon on Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:27 pm

Max got it.

ill have to post a harder one.

There are 10 sets of 10 coins. You know how much the coins should weigh. You know all the coins in one set of ten are exactly a hundredth of an ounce off, making the entire set of ten coins a tenth of an ounce off. You also know that all the other coins weight the correct amount. You are allowed to use an extremely accurate digital weighing machine only once.

How do you determine which set of 10 coins is faulty?

Back to top Go down

Post  maxf13 on Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:35 pm

Spoiler:
i think i gots it
number the sets 1-10
from set 1 put in 1 coin
from set 2 put in 2 coins
from set 3 put in 3 coins
etc.
then if you wheigh the whole lot and by measuring by how many hundredths of an ounce the coins are off by you can determine which set the faulty coins belong to

EG

if the whole set is 5 hundredths of an ounce of the weight that it should be then you know that set 5 must be the faulty one as you put in 5 coins from set 5

dont post the correct answer imeadiatly
see how many people can get it in a reasonable amount of time

Back to top Go down

Post  akyra on Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:12 pm

Spoiler:
surely if you already know that one of the sets are off yo dont need to be doing anything :S I feel like Im missing something....

Back to top Go down

Post  ThreeLetterSyndrom on Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:20 pm

This is one of the hardest problems I've ever come across. Can you solve it?

A group of 201 people live on an isolated island.
- All people are logical geniuses. If a problem's got a logical solution, they'll get it immediately.
- All people want to leave, but they can only do that if they know the colour of their own eyes.
- There are NO reflective surfaces whatsoever.
- There are 100 people with blue eyes and 100 people with brown eyes on the island, but the people themselves don't know this.
- That means that if you see 99 blue and 100 brown, you can still either have blue or brown eyes.
- Nobody is colourblind or can communicate with one another.
- The 201'th person, (The Guru, whose eyecolour is green) is allowed to speak ONCE. She says: "I see someone with blue eyes." (This to nobody in particular)
- Time is infinite, nobody dies.

Who leaves the island, and when?

Last edited by ThreeLetterSyndrom on Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

ThreeLetterSyndrom
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  maxf13 on Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:22 pm

akyra wrote:
Spoiler:
surely if you already know that one of the sets are off yo dont need to be doing anything :S I feel like Im missing something....

the problem is you dont now wich set is off and you only have one chance to weigh something

Back to top Go down

Post  maxf13 on Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:24 pm

Spoiler:
the person who is told that he has blue eyes?

Back to top Go down

Post  ThreeLetterSyndrom on Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:27 pm

maxf13 wrote:
Spoiler:
the person who is told that he has blue eyes?
My fault. The Guru makes this statement to all people, not to anyone in specific.

ThreeLetterSyndrom
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  akyra on Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:45 pm

Spoiler:
Spoon wrote:Max got it.

There are 10 sets of 10 coins. You know how much the coins should weigh. You know all the coins in one set of ten are exactly a hundredth of an ounce off, making the entire set of ten coins a tenth of an ounce off. You also know that all the other coins weight the correct amount. You are allowed to use an extremely accurate digital weighing machine only once.

maybe I'm reading into the wording to much...but surely that one set you know is wrong must be the faulty one..*is confused*

Back to top Go down

Post  Pippynip on Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:45 pm

Spoiler:
akyra wrote:

maybe I'm reading into the wording to much...but surely that one set you know is wrong must be the faulty one..*is confused*

That's the point, you don't know which one is wrong. All you know is that one of them is wrong.

I found the answer. What I did is simply looked at Spoon's poor spelling and grammar, then looked at the almost perfect spelling and grammar in the problem and saw that he'd obviously just copied and pasted the problem direct from a website without even changing the words around to prevent cheating. So I googled the problem, and found the solution. Because I'm really nice, I won't post it for those who want to figure it out themselves Razz

So yeah. Put some cheater prevention on the puzzles Spoon, like we all do in the picture guessing game Smile

An opinion solicited does not equal one freely voiced.
Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Garth on Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:32 pm

Spoiler:

You get yourself a big jug that can fit all of the sets of coins into it. You tare the jug from the scale, then put all the sets of coins into the jug. Since you know how much each correct one should way, you take each set out until you find the set with the incorrect weight. If you can't use a jug or some other form to hold more, start stacking 'em until you find the set that is off.

Back to top Go down

Post  Pippynip on Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:50 pm

Spoiler:
Garth wrote:[spoiler]

You get yourself a big jug that can fit all of the sets of coins into it. You tare the jug from the scale, then put all the sets of coins into the jug. Since you know how much each correct one should way, you take each set out until you find the set with the incorrect weight. If you can't use a jug or some other form to hold more, start stacking 'em until you find the set that is off.

Nope, that counts as using the machine more than once.

Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  akyra on Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:57 pm

Spoiler:
WHat about if you use the wieght... and you add one stack at a time to the wieght untill it doesnt equal a round number / is a tenth of an ouze off or whatever it is.

Back to top Go down

Post  Blackdragon on Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:01 am

ThreeLetterSyndrom wrote:This is one of the hardest problems I've ever come across. Can you solve it?

- All people are logical geniuses. If a problem's got a logical solution, they'll get it immediately.
- All people want to leave, but they can only do that if they know the colour of their own eyes.
- There are 100 people with blue eyes and 100 people with brown eyes on the island, but the people themselves don't know this.
- That means that if you see 99 blue and 100 brown, you can still either have blue or brown eyes.
- The 201'th person, (The Guru, whose eyecolour is green) is allowed to speak ONCE. She says: "I see someone with blue eyes." (This to nobody in particular)

Spoiler:
No one can leave is island, because the wording is still too vauge people would need to guess that they were 'someone' with blue eyes. They wouldn't be able to know it was refering to them or not.

Back to top Go down

Post  uglymutt on Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:25 am

I think i have a hint of what the answer might be, but need to think about it a bit more (the island one).

Back to top Go down

Post  ThreeLetterSyndrom on Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:13 pm

Blackdragon wrote:
ThreeLetterSyndrom wrote:This is one of the hardest problems I've ever come across. Can you solve it?

Spoiler:
No one can leave is island, because the wording is still too vauge people would need to guess that they were 'someone' with blue eyes. They wouldn't be able to know it was refering to them or not.
Spoiler:
I admit, the wording appears to be vague. It is of crucial importance, however and clear enough. Wink

ThreeLetterSyndrom
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Puzzles! (by Spoon)

Post  willba on Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:19 pm

Mice are known for their rapid mating rates. If you have one female mouse, who reaches full maturity in one month and is able to give birth to 12 mice, who themselves give birth to another 12 mice in 1 month etc. How many mice will there be in 10 months?

Spoiler:
One, the first mouse needs another mouse to mate with to start with!
willba
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pippynip on Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:20 pm

That's the second puzzle in this thread that's basically just like a puzzle in Die Hard With A Vengeance with different wording Razz

Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Blackdragon on Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:21 pm

ThreeLetterSyndrom wrote:
Blackdragon wrote:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
I admit, the wording appears to be vague. It is of crucial importance, however and clear enough. Wink

Spoiler:
Sorry about my wording, but thats not what i was getting at, i was saying the guru's statment was too vauge, no one could know their eye colour because of this. So the answer is 0 people can leave the island.

Back to top Go down

Post  ThreeLetterSyndrom on Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:26 pm

Blackdragon wrote:
ThreeLetterSyndrom wrote:
Blackdragon wrote:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Sorry about my wording, but thats not what i was getting at, i was saying the guru's statment was too vauge, no one could know their eye colour because of this. So the answer is 0 people can leave the island.
Spoiler:
But the answer is incorrect. I'll tell you this: Due to the statement AT LEAST one person will know his/her eyecolour and leave the island

ThreeLetterSyndrom
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Spoon on Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:38 pm

Spoiler:
no one can leave, the guru lies. the gurus a woman Razz

on a more serious note

if there was only 3 people (guru brown eyed and blue eyed) the person with blue eyes could leave knowing that it was him on the 1st day. If there was 2 blue eyes and 2 brown they would leave on the 2nd day ect.

Back to top Go down

Post  ThreeLetterSyndrom on Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:03 pm

Spoon wrote:

Spoiler:
no one can leave, the guru lies. the gurus a woman Razz

on a more serious note

if there was only 3 people (guru brown eyed and blue eyed) the person with blue eyes could leave knowing that it was him on the 1st day. If there was 2 blue eyes and 2 brown they would leave on the 2nd day ect.
What leads you to think that?

ThreeLetterSyndrom
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top