Free Bass guitar lessons

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Free Bass guitar lessons
Free Bass guitar lessons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How do you feel if people say playing and learning bass is easier than the guitar?

+34
weller7503
Pippynip
SyneRRR
aL
Macneil1
lololiet
Nocturnal_Pulse
stjimmee
Aster
Some freaky guy
MET@LBASS
Southernstar
McSnuggles
Rushfan30
stefk0
Fuzzy
ThreeLetterSyndrom
maxf13
danthewelshy
Dropthelines585
ezekiel
akyra
Drakon7
Cliff em' all
BlackF89
mts
uglymutt
willba
DubHertz
SuperMaximo93
KrysH
Dmanlamius
Stryfer
x2n
38 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

How do you feel if people say playing and learning bass is easier than the guitar? - Page 2 Empty Re: How do you feel if people say playing and learning bass is easier than the guitar?

Post  ezekiel Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:44 pm

I find bass to be challenging...a good challenge that keeps my mind going. There are so many different types of music and they all sound so amazing. The different techniques are fun too...finger plucking, pick playing, slap and pop, etc... its so varied how you can play. Makes it so fun and exciting to just sit down and play. Its not easy for me...just loads of fun!

ezekiel

Back to top Go down

How do you feel if people say playing and learning bass is easier than the guitar? - Page 2 Empty Re: How do you feel if people say playing and learning bass is easier than the guitar?

Post  Stryfer Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:24 pm

What Dman?! Are you telling me your better than Wooten?!

Wink Nah, just kidding.
I know the double bass was around for long a time, but I think he meant the electric bass as a new instrument. Also, he probably meant the time when it started getting mass produced.

Either way, compared to the guitar, the piano keyboards and percussion, I think the bass is a very new instrument. To be honest though, I'm not sure when the guitar came to be, but I'm almost certain it was before the bass.

You're right about funk, but I think the guitar was always the first instrument compared to the bass. It's only a matter of time untill people realize just how much more versatile a bass is. By that time, our roles will be reversed and the popularity hungry "know-it-alls" will be playing the bass and we'll be hiding out on some guitar forum discussing when the guitar will rise again Laughing

Stryfer

Back to top Go down

Post  BlackF89 Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:25 am

Bass does it's job, it belongs as much to percussion as it does melody if not more... no one compares drums or keys to guitar. The bass is a totally different animal to guitar.

Anyone can play route notes on a bass and anyone can just do a basic chord progression on guitar... there are always gonna be people like victor wooten and steve vai but I'd rather just listen to the sultry tones of bass wankery than guitar wankery.
BlackF89
BlackF89

Back to top Go down

Post  Dropthelines585 Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:56 am

I did a 5 page report on the history and evolution of the bass guitar in my junior year.

Started with frets in the baroque period and had six strings then called the bass viola de gamba...blah blah blah. it's older than the guitar. that's all that matters
Dropthelines585
Dropthelines585
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  x2n Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:33 pm

wow! there are lots of replies! maybe victor wooten meant by new was that it is a new instrument to experiment with it, i guess. i'm not exactly sure but, that's what i think. i play bass in guitar too and i also think also think bass is more difficult to play based on my experience. 0_o

x2n

Back to top Go down

Post  danthewelshy Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:10 pm

People who say that obviously have no clue about the subject music so normally I just go along and allow them to live in the imaginary world with the fairy's.
danthewelshy
danthewelshy

Back to top Go down

Post  Cliff em' all Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:37 pm

Classic rock had some of the best bassists two,like Roger glover and John entwistle.
Cliff em' all
Cliff em' all
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Dropthelines585 Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:42 pm

John Paul Jones
Dropthelines585
Dropthelines585
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Cliff em' all Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:46 pm

Ah,yes.
Cliff em' all
Cliff em' all
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  maxf13 Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:29 pm

you shouldave just gone " Yeah i am better than victor wooten what you gonna do about it"
maxf13
maxf13

Back to top Go down

Post  x2n Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:25 am

Yeah! It pisses me off so much! >_< They don't know what they are talking about! i was just minding my own business and my band members insult my instrument Sad someday! the bass will come out from the underground and smite them with pure awesomeness!

x2n

Back to top Go down

Post  BlackF89 Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:19 pm

x2n wrote:Yeah! It pisses me off so much! >_< They don't know what they are talking about! i was just minding my own business and my band members insult my instrument Sad someday! the bass will come out from the underground and smite them with pure awesomeness!

Just tell them, since bass is so shit. That they should name all the successful bands that don't use bass lines Smile
BlackF89
BlackF89

Back to top Go down

Post  Cliff em' all Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:57 pm

Why didn't you ask them why they need a bassist then?
Cliff em' all
Cliff em' all
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  akyra Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:09 pm

x2n wrote:Yeah! It pisses me off so much! >_< They don't know what they are talking about! i was just minding my own business and my band members insult my instrument Sad someday! the bass will come out from the underground and smite them with pure awesomeness!

Hmm thats seems a lil uncalled for...
akyra
akyra

Back to top Go down

Post  Dropthelines585 Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:33 pm

Ignorance can be entertaining.
Dropthelines585
Dropthelines585
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  ThreeLetterSyndrom Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:22 pm

Dropthelines585 wrote:Ignorance can be entertaining.
Emphasis on the word 'can' here.

ThreeLetterSyndrom
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  x2n Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:24 am

akyra wrote:

What's a little uncalled for? All I meant is that people are going to realize that the bass is pretty awesome too.

Ignorance? Where is the ignorant part? 0_o

x2n

Back to top Go down

Post  Fuzzy Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:30 am

x2n wrote:
akyra wrote:

What's a little uncalled for? All I meant is that people are going to realize that the bass is pretty awesome too.

I'm 99.999% sure they mean your band members are ignorant and them insulting your instrument of choice was uncalled for.
Wink
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Dropthelines585 Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:28 am

I was worried someone might take that the wrong way. lol!
Dropthelines585
Dropthelines585
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  stefk0 Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:24 am

Well bass is fun and hard, but you can get away with not playing it very easily (see Sid Vicious).
Also it's all those old punk bands that give bass a bad name.
stefk0
stefk0

Back to top Go down

Post  akyra Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:54 pm

x2n wrote:
akyra wrote:

Your band slagging your instrument was a lil uncalled for is what I meant Smile

Thanks for clarifying that Fuzzy Smile
akyra
akyra

Back to top Go down

Post  Rushfan30 Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:04 pm

I'd have to say Dman and Stryfer's opnion is pretty much the same as mine. Give one person a bass and the other a guitar, and the bassist will probably take off a bit faster.
Bass is hands down harder to master, there aren't many wootens, fleas, and geddys out there. Actually... I don't know anyone close to wooten's style except him Razz.
There is a larger amount of "master" guitar players. Satch, Via, Andy Mckee, Van Halen, Lifeson, Bucket head, Hendrix, ect.
When people say its easier to learn bass I generally agree with them, but when I say its harder to master and they disagree, its all out war Mad
Rushfan30
Rushfan30

Back to top Go down

Post  McSnuggles Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:16 pm

My general feeling is that neither is easier or harder to learn. They're both completely different instruments that are played in completely different ways. Plus there are so many genres and ways both can be played that it really depends on your style.

Depending on what you play, both can be easy to learn. Many people can pick up a guitar and learn Smoke on the Water and many people can pick up a bass and learn Stand By Me. Both are easy to learn basic stuff. But it's just as hard to master slapping as it is to master flat picking.
McSnuggles
McSnuggles

Back to top Go down

How do you feel if people say playing and learning bass is easier than the guitar? - Page 2 Empty How do you feel if people say playing and learning bass is easier than the guitar?

Post  willba Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:31 pm

To be honest I dont want to tell people why bass is better than guitar or argue at all, I dont want to compare instruments at all. Id rather just appreciate each instrument for what it does. But theres always people who seem to have a personal vendetta against bass, best to just get them to see the bigger picture geek

The only people who have criticised bass that I know are guitarists weirdly.....
willba
willba
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperMaximo93 Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:34 pm

Even more weirdly, most of the guitarists I've met and/or play with appreciate bass, and the people that critisize are brass players (or non-musicians) lol!
SuperMaximo93
SuperMaximo93

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next