Free Bass guitar lessons

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Free Bass guitar lessons
Free Bass guitar lessons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

how to play flamenco style?

3 posters

Go down

how to play flamenco style? Empty how to play flamenco style?

Post  zsquad Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:42 am

i know that i've already asked this question like 3 times now, but no one has actually answered. i've seen people up and downstroke really fast with their fingers, and i was wondering how you do that.

zsquad

Back to top Go down

how to play flamenco style? Empty Re: how to play flamenco style?

Post  Stryfer Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:15 am

First off, I don't know.
I do something that I believe is similar, but I never actually sat down and "I'll learn flamenco style".
I just expanded the plucking range of my fingers. Instead of plucking one string, I plucked two and then three while holding a power chord with my fretting hand.
Since I already knew how to play with 3 fingers before, and I was used to playing doing a hard downstroke with all my fingers to play a chord, I could easliy incorporate all those elements together and get something I could call flamenco.
It's all about keeping your fingers moving across the strings and plucking strings with both sides of your fingers. By this I mean after you pluck upward, bring your finger down back into position, but pluck the string as you're doing it.

Like I said, I never checked to see if this IS flamenco or if it's the proper way, I just started running all my fingers across all the strings and it sounded about right Very Happy
As for speed, that's just a matter of practice and feeling more freedom.

P.S. I did give a similar answer already, only maybe shorter...I hope this is what you were looking for

Stryfer

Back to top Go down

Post  zsquad Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:03 pm

ha yea on the other threads i was asking more about downstrokes rather than actual flamenco. but thanks, ill go try that out. i dhaven learned any songs with flamenco style yet, but i just saw a music video where the bassist appears to be doing it. but maybe not. here is the video, tell me what you think the bassist is doing when he is moving his right hand up and down really fast. its about 23 seconds in

Dropthelines585
Dropthelines585
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Stryfer Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:13 am

Actually, I think he's just plucking, but moving his entire hand upward to make it seem more aggresive.

DTL, if you want a master of flamenco, check out Stanley Clarke (especially on an upright). I already posted the vid in another thread, so I'm not doing it in this one XD

Stryfer

Back to top Go down

Post  zsquad Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:08 am

He's definitley using flamenco or at least doing some downstrokes cuz I checked the tabs for that song and there is no way he is just doing plucks at those spots

zsquad

Back to top Go down

Post  Dropthelines585 Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:43 am

I'm a big Clarke fan. I just like Les' tone more.

I used to play at a venue with a bunch of bands. The headlining band had an arrogant fuck for a bass player. He did that exact thing just to look cool. He never did anything that stood out that much. I'm not saying that the guy in Protest the Hero is like that. It's just that I've seen that style before. It really is for dramatic effect, trust me.
Dropthelines585
Dropthelines585
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  zsquad Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:43 pm

Oh I'm sure it is, I mean it IS a music video. But regardless of how far up and down his hand goes, he is doing flamenco style, isn't he?

zsquad

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down