Free Bass guitar lessons

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Free Bass guitar lessons
Free Bass guitar lessons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Which Strings?!?!?!?

+6
Dmanlamius
Smaz
danthewelshy
david2545
general lee
yogatron
10 posters

Go down

Which Strings?!?!?!? Empty Which Strings?!?!?!?

Post  yogatron Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:53 pm

Hi All

I just bust my G string while popping it Mad and being fairly new to the bass haven't got a clue about which strings I should get to replace it. I've seen different gauges, windings, heavy/light and am totally confused. I understand different strings will produce different sounds but which do what? has anyone got any recommendations for me also is ebay the best place to buy?

Cheers for your help in advance Very Happy
yogatron
yogatron

Back to top Go down

Which Strings?!?!?!? Empty Re: Which Strings?!?!?!?

Post  general lee Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:59 pm

general lee
general lee

Back to top Go down

Post  david2545 Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:01 pm

hey

i was in the same possition the other month i never had a clue so i went the music shop played on a few basses an when i was on a bass that i liked the strings i asked whitch strings they where got them an replaced all the strings (they where old lol) but i know what ones to egt next time not hope it helps like :^)

Very Happy
david2545
david2545

Back to top Go down

Post  yogatron Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:52 pm

hi

Thanks guys, unfortunately I've broken my leg so am pretty much house bound at the moment and my nearest music shop is over 10 miles away so I can't try any different types Sad
I had a look at the wiki sight but it doesn't really tell you the difference between light, medium and heavy strings. there must be one otherwise there would be no point in selling them!

Does anyone use anything other than roundwound strings or does it not really matter?
yogatron
yogatron

Back to top Go down

Post  danthewelshy Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:41 pm

Hey i won't go into much detail but heres what i think is ideal for you.

After a while you will start to have favoured string makes once you have tried a few (try a few over the years of course).

Stick to medium - light guage, these are good for most styles of play, funk, rock etc
The heavier strings are harder to play and for more metal etc

I normally use

40-60-80-100 or 45-65-80-100 guage string

I recomemend these for you, they are good all round strings and not to expensive

http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/products/578-elites_stadium_stainless_steel_bass
i recomend clicking "medium 40-100" down the side, this is a pretty much standard guage which you will find on most bass guitars. I hope i helped you out.
danthewelshy
danthewelshy

Back to top Go down

Post  yogatron Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:28 pm

thanks danthewelshy

I've ordered some of those, they look like good allrounders Very Happy

just need to work on my playing now lol
yogatron
yogatron

Back to top Go down

Post  danthewelshy Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:56 pm

yogatron wrote:thanks danthewelshy

I've ordered some of those, they look like good allrounders Very Happy

just need to work on my playing now lol

Good man. Glad i could help Laughing
danthewelshy
danthewelshy

Back to top Go down

Post  yogatron Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:32 pm

arrggghhhhh!!

when the strin went part of the bridge flew off aswell!! Gutted now I'm trawling the net to find a new one Sad Sad Sad Sad if anyone knows anywhere you can get parts I'd appretiate it Surprised
yogatron
yogatron

Back to top Go down

Post  Smaz Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:38 pm

Which part? A picture might help Smile

You can try here:

http://allparts.uk.com/
Smaz
Smaz

Back to top Go down

Post  danthewelshy Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:40 pm

You'll get one most definatley from a guitar tech, probally from a local music store that do repairs.
danthewelshy
danthewelshy

Back to top Go down

Post  yogatron Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:51 pm

Which Strings?!?!?!? 577

it's the little black bit that the string sits in, i'm not sure if the two little allen key bolts that you use to adjust the height have sheared aswell (oops) Wink
I've had a look on ebay they are about £25 for a set of 4 from the states, I don't think I can wait that long though bounce
That'll learn me for being a ham fisted fool!!
yogatron
yogatron

Back to top Go down

Post  danthewelshy Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:55 pm

yogatron wrote:

it's the little black bit that the string sits in, i'm not sure if the two little allen key bolts that you use to adjust the height have sheared aswell (oops) Wink
I've had a look on ebay they are about £25 for a set of 4 from the states, I don't think I can wait that long though bounce
That'll learn me for being a ham fisted fool!!

I bet if you go to a local guitar tech they'll sell you one for a stupidly cheap price
danthewelshy
danthewelshy

Back to top Go down

Post  yogatron Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:59 pm

yeah your probably right, I've got to go get my leg x-rayed again tomorrow I'll see if my mate will swing by the shop near the hospital and try my luck Cheers for your help Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
yogatron
yogatron

Back to top Go down

Post  Dmanlamius Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:21 pm

Good luck with your leg, dude!

Keep us all informed Smile
Dmanlamius
Dmanlamius

Back to top Go down

Post  stefk0 Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:58 pm

wow what trouble you're in.. Broken string, broken leg, and now a broken string holder thingy...Fix all fast matey Smile

And cake might help you regenerate faster.
The magic of cake is endless
stefk0
stefk0

Back to top Go down

Post  ffox1994 Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:39 am

I Remember I Broke A String On My Bass The First Day I Got It, Hadnt Even Had It A Hour And It Broke. lol!
ffox1994
ffox1994

Back to top Go down

Post  yogatron Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:34 pm

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy New strings arrived today YAY!!! I ended up with the 40's can't wait to try 'em

Mad Mad Mad Mad stupid bridge bit that cost £20 hasn't pitched up yet pale might as well try flossing with my new strings clown
yogatron
yogatron

Back to top Go down

Post  Igastopheles Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:18 pm

That little part is called the saddle, if I remember correctly. Honestly I'm sort of impressed and I wonder how you managed to break that, but newbie mistakes can be interesting. I broke an E string once. >>

Anyway get well soon!
Igastopheles
Igastopheles

Back to top Go down

Which Strings?!?!?!? Empty Cake

Post  Drakon7 Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:52 pm

The man is right, you should listen to him

Cake will fix all of your problems

Enough cake will fix your leg, you could use cake for a bottom string and use more cake to replace the bridge part thingy!

Cake is the solution, and always will be, because cake is awesome.

Also, cake is an all round food

Breakfast, lunch, dinner, birthdays, engagements, weddings, funerals, bungie jumping and its also a proven fact that cake makes you a better bass player by 0.0015% !

There we go, now this reply is about bass, and thusly relevant XD

Caaaake.
Drakon7
Drakon7

Back to top Go down

Post  stefk0 Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:14 am

in the words of ali g

Restepa.

Also, you forgot to mention that due to scientific research and technology you can now LISTEN to the cake for inspiration. Till now, you had to eat it to get the cake feeling, now they have discovered the language of the chocolate frosted cakes. With this new technology they plan on bombing the Sahara desert, achieving nothing, but allowing us to make song on how crap the goverment is (doesn't matter in which country, every goverment does something wrong. Like add taxes to cakes. WHY????)
stefk0
stefk0

Back to top Go down

Which Strings?!?!?!? Empty That is true

Post  Drakon7 Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:40 am

But in reality, yes, you can listen to cake, but all they ever want to talk about is Family Guy and Rap music, its like a music professor and all he wants to do is talk about football.
Its annoying, really. Cake needs to get a life really.
Theyre currently working on a way to give cake arms so they can lay down phat beatz and so they can play funky music the same way white boys do. Especially if they are topped with wild cherry >.>
Drakon7
Drakon7

Back to top Go down

Post  yogatron Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:22 am

Igastopheles wrote:That little part is called the saddle, if I remember correctly. Honestly I'm sort of impressed and I wonder how you managed to break that, but newbie mistakes can be interesting. I broke an E string once. >>

Anyway get well soon!

Cheers I new it'd have a name haha couldn't find it though. I was getting a bit carried away with my popping and where I have those "saddles" set up quite high to stop fret buzz the two allen keys that you use to adjust them sheerd.
Think I need to calm down a bit lol!

As for the cake thats top advice plugged my headphones into a triple chocolate cheese cake and the beats started flowing couldn't believe it awsome Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
yogatron
yogatron

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down