Free Bass guitar lessons

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Free Bass guitar lessons
Free Bass guitar lessons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Product Review:Groove Tubes Fat Finger

3 posters

Go down

Product Review:Groove Tubes Fat Finger Empty Product Review:Groove Tubes Fat Finger

Post  Dropthelines585 Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:06 pm

Product Review:Groove Tubes Fat Finger 1590_1_medium

Product Review:Groove Tubes Fat Finger Groovetubeffbc-uu

Here's another nifty product review. This is the Groove Tubes Fat Finger. In theory, it's supposed to improve sustain, harmonic balance, and rid your rig of those pesky dead notes. Seems like a grand idea, but in practice there's not a profound noticeable difference. I did a small experiment using the fat finger on an LTD six string (don't know the model and designation, but it hardly seems relevant).

I struck two notes, bottom string and top string, both with and without the fat finger. It did hold sustain for about three seconds longer with the product affixed to the headstock, other than that there was no noticeable difference in tone.

I've tried it mounted every which way and there's still not much improvement in tone or balance. This bass is almost too heavy to notice a difference in balance, so I deemed that test inconclusive until I try it on a couple of different instruments. I've read some reviews that stated that this product helps to remedy the "dead C syndrome" on Fender Jazz basses, but as far as I'm concerned, proper set-up is the only right way to fix problems of that nature.

They can cost anywhere from $30-$35. In my opinion it's just a hunk of metal that adds weight and doesn't do a whole lot for tone that proper setup couldn't. It is aesthetically appealing to an extent, but not really.

I do not recommend this product.
Dropthelines585
Dropthelines585
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Product Review:Groove Tubes Fat Finger Empty Re: Product Review:Groove Tubes Fat Finger

Post  maxf13 Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:09 pm

ah thats a shame
maybe it works better with cheaper basses?
maxf13
maxf13

Back to top Go down

Product Review:Groove Tubes Fat Finger Empty Re: Product Review:Groove Tubes Fat Finger

Post  Dropthelines585 Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:49 pm

That seems to be the consensus. Most decent instruments are already harmonically balanced out of the factory so in those cases this is pretty much useless.
Dropthelines585
Dropthelines585
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Nocturnal_Pulse Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:33 pm

Dropthelines585 wrote:That seems to be the consensus. Most decent instruments are already harmonically balanced out of the factory so in those cases this is pretty much useless.

I might talk like a total gear noob but hey truth is i am.

Why is it useful after all?
Nocturnal_Pulse
Nocturnal_Pulse
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum