Free Bass guitar lessons

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Free Bass guitar lessons
Free Bass guitar lessons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Suggestions on strings?

+4
maxf13
Dropthelines585
DavidM96
Havarh
8 posters

Go down

Suggestions on strings? Empty Suggestions on strings?

Post  Havarh Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:30 pm

Hi guys, first of all I just want to say that this forum is really great.

But the point of this thread is that I'm kind of in need of changing something considering my setup and such, but a new bass is maybe a little extreme, so I was wondering about getting new strings. I have the Washburn Taurus T 14, and I'm in a band that mainly plays rock but I'm personally into a much wider scene of music. So, basically....any suggestions? Or should I maybe just try cleaning my current strings? I want to point out that I'm still using the original strings(lol) and they're getting a bit boring.

Havarh

Back to top Go down

Suggestions on strings? Empty Re: Suggestions on strings?

Post  DavidM96 Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:36 pm

I use ernie ball super slinky bass strings
DavidM96
DavidM96
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Dropthelines585 Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:37 pm

Second that, and personally I love the sound of old strings.
Dropthelines585
Dropthelines585
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Havarh Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:47 pm

DavidM96 wrote:I use ernie ball super slinky bass strings
I would appreciate it if you could maybe tell me how they've worked for you and such hehe, but thanks for pointing them out though
Dropthelines585 wrote:Second that, and personally I love the sound of old strings.
I'll keep that in mind since I've never changed my strings so I wouldn't be familiar with the difference between new and old ones Very Happy and thanks

Havarh

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidM96 Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:29 pm

the new string will sound alot brighter and snappier, the old ones would be duller.

and as for the ernie balls, they work great for me no matter what genre im playing and what style im playing (finger style, tapping, slap n pop)
DavidM96
DavidM96
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  maxf13 Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:07 pm

Uve got to try different string sets out.
If u like slap n pop or taping and stuff like that i recommend getting a set of Warwick Black Label strings.
I got them about 3 months ago and they still have a really nice twang to them
maxf13
maxf13

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperMaximo93 Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:21 pm

Also remember that if a string is roundwound then it will have a brighter tone, flatrounds are duller (and groundwound are in the middle I think?). And then you also have the choice of them being nickel which are duller or steel which is brighter/snappier

Personally I prefer nickel roundwounds, not too bothered on the brand, I used Elites before but now I'm on Rotosound
SuperMaximo93
SuperMaximo93

Back to top Go down

Post  Some freaky guy Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:23 pm

MTD Mediums (.045-.105) are very trebly. Just pointing it out, so you know you should go for them if you want trebly sound or avoid them if you don't.
Some freaky guy
Some freaky guy
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Smaz Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:41 pm

Ernie Balls are great all-round strings. They don't feel too rough like some roundwounds (for example Rotosound), they're easy to play, have a nice sound to them (not too bright, not too warm) and suit all styles of music & techniques. I found them great for funk & slap, equally as good with fingers and my friend plays mainly with a pick and has used them for the past 8 years or so. They're a great choice to start out with Smile

Rotosound are one of my favourites, they have a great rock tone to them which gives them a 'dirty' sound when slapped. Lighter in tension than the Ernies, so I find them easier to play. Only slight downside is when they're new, they feel pretty rough on the fingers.

If you want to go for the higher end of the market, look out for some DR strings. Killer tone, suit all styles of play and if you go for their coated strings, they last for ages. I used to change Rotosounds/Ernies once every six weeks, I think these things last me 4 - 6 months...

But the main thing is, try a few sets out over a period of time, see which ones you like. It's all down to personal preference - what suits one person might not suit another Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  DubHertz Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:17 pm

If youre looking for responsive strings with a very detailed sound then try some Thomastik-Infeld strings. i got a Fender jazz bass with some of these already fitted great slap and pop tone and full of mids. My favourite strings are Status-Graphite Hot wires in the flatwound variety.

Be careful with string gauges as thicker gauge strings usually involves having your bass setup by somebody who knows what they are doing.

Avoid Warwick Yellow Label strings, they are so rough they will cut your entire arm off lol! .

And have a look through the gear chat section as there is a post with a link to a review of bass guitar strings.
DubHertz
DubHertz

Back to top Go down

Post  Havarh Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:29 pm

Thanks so much guys, I'll definitely keep that in mind, but I'm still not quite sure which I'm going for although I'm thinking about maybe trying out those ernie balls. And will definitely look through the gear chat, just didn't know there was a thread about strings hehh :S Thanks for the good responses Smile

Havarh

Back to top Go down

Post  maxf13 Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:35 pm

oh yeah my ww black labels where also quite rough in the beginning
they are nice and smooth now tho
maxf13
maxf13

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum