Free Bass guitar lessons

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Free Bass guitar lessons
Free Bass guitar lessons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Removing brand decal from headstock

5 posters

Go down

Removing brand decal from headstock Empty Removing brand decal from headstock

Post  Nocturnal_Pulse Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:33 am

Hey peeps...

As you most - might - know, my bass it's not a huge brand or anything.

So I am in a modding mood, I want to buy a new pickguard and some new dot markers to make it more "mine"...

This is my bass now.

Removing brand decal from headstock 1375355_800

So I want to make a custom brand decal, but I need to remove this one first.

I dont think it's under the finish, it's not polished so I think it's on the wood itself.

Can this be done with something or will I need to change my fretboard? (which I wouldnt like it, due to the prices and the service work would take enuff time to forget playing bass)

Thank you for ANY advice...
Nocturnal_Pulse
Nocturnal_Pulse
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Removing brand decal from headstock Empty Re: Removing brand decal from headstock

Post  SuperMaximo93 Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:54 am

If there's no finish on the headstock then I'd expect you can just sand it off (to make sure the whole headstock is still even I would take off the tuners first)

EDIT: For some reason I thought you were talking about the headstock decal Razz

Last edited by SuperMaximo93 on Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:21 am; edited 2 times in total
SuperMaximo93
SuperMaximo93

Back to top Go down

Removing brand decal from headstock Empty Re: Removing brand decal from headstock

Post  maxf13 Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:06 am

new dot inlays would be harder
they are actually set in to the fretboard so you would probably need a proffessional to do it for you
maxf13
maxf13

Back to top Go down

Post  Nocturnal_Pulse Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:31 pm

SuperMaximo93 wrote:If there's no finish on the headstock then I'd expect you can just sand it off (to make sure the whole headstock is still even I would take off the tuners first)

EDIT: For some reason I thought you were talking about the headstock decal Razz

Yes I am! About the brand thingie on headstock! Shouldnt I try nail polish remover if it's ink-on-wood?
What number of sand paper would you recomment?

maxf13 wrote:new dot inlays would be harder
they are actually set in to the fretboard so you would probably need a proffessional to do it for you

They are made of vinyl and they are inlays stickers, they dont get in the fretboard!
Nocturnal_Pulse
Nocturnal_Pulse
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Pippynip Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:38 pm

That's weird, I always thought they were set in the fretboard. Hence 'inlays'. scratch

An opinion solicited does not equal one freely voiced.
Pippynip
Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Nocturnal_Pulse Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:39 pm

Pippynip wrote:That's weird, I always thought they were set in the fretboard. Hence 'inlays'. scratch

those are just vinyl... They say it will keep up for 4-5 years so I need to check it out Razz
Nocturnal_Pulse
Nocturnal_Pulse
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  maxf13 Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:50 pm

seeing as you have to take very little material of the headstock, id say start with maybe 200 grit and then polish up with 400 or something like that
maxf13
maxf13

Back to top Go down

Post  Nocturnal_Pulse Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:53 pm

maxf13 wrote:seeing as you have to take very little material of the headstock, id say start with maybe 200 grit and then polish up with 400 or something like that

great, thanks max!
Nocturnal_Pulse
Nocturnal_Pulse
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Dropthelines585 Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:32 pm

Might be better to use one of these seeing as you only want to remove the brand name. This will do minimal damage to the finish underneath.

Removing brand decal from headstock Abrasive%20scouring%20pad_cleaning%20pad_388
Dropthelines585
Dropthelines585
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  maxf13 Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:45 pm

true
if its finished
maxf13
maxf13

Back to top Go down

Post  Nocturnal_Pulse Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:55 pm

That reminds me of the scotch-brite sponges hard green area... Is it something like that?

It's not finished, at all (I mean polished or with any lacquer)
Nocturnal_Pulse
Nocturnal_Pulse
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  maxf13 Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:24 pm

then you should be fine with just using sand paper
just make sure you use the finest grit you can get to polish it up.
may also be worth to sand the whole headstock very slightly and then rub in some sort of oil.
not sure if you can use the same as for your fretboard but i would asume so.
any vegetable oil should be fine i think.
i rubbed some olive oil on my fretboard and it looks good
maxf13
maxf13

Back to top Go down

Post  Nocturnal_Pulse Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:30 pm

maxf13 wrote:then you should be fine with just using sand paper
just make sure you use the finest grit you can get to polish it up.
may also be worth to sand the whole headstock very slightly and then rub in some sort of oil.
not sure if you can use the same as for your fretboard but i would asume so.
any vegetable oil should be fine i think.
i rubbed some olive oil on my fretboard and it looks good

OK so I will. Olive oil is plenty in my house, well much more than any other wood oil.
My headstock/FBoard are maplewood so ya I think two drops of olive oil would do.

I will definately upload pictures when I am done with the whole process.

The only thing I will not change are my string, are just a bit wore out but they dont buzz and they sound so bassy and groovy!!
Nocturnal_Pulse
Nocturnal_Pulse
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Nocturnal_Pulse Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:18 pm

OK I wait for my custom decal to arrive so I couldn't help it and tried an old dry scotch brite sponge with it's hard side just a little bit on my headstock.

It is ink-on-wood, it's getting off with amazing ease!

Here's a photo of one only scratch:

Removing brand decal from headstock IMG_0230

I will not remove all of it now, I will wait for my parts to arrive first!
Nocturnal_Pulse
Nocturnal_Pulse
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  maxf13 Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:44 pm

yeah just keep on using the sponge then
maxf13
maxf13

Back to top Go down

Post  Nocturnal_Pulse Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:00 pm

maxf13 wrote:yeah just keep on using the sponge then

yup i'll wait till my custom things arrive... :/

Don't know why. LOL
Nocturnal_Pulse
Nocturnal_Pulse
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum