Free Bass guitar lessons

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Free Bass guitar lessons
Free Bass guitar lessons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

6 string bass

+7
Pastichio
Cliff em' all
Redstarking
mts
SuperMaximo93
Dmanlamius
david2545
11 posters

Go down

6 string bass Empty 6 string bass

Post  david2545 Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:13 am

i was wondering has anyone ever played one lol

the music shops by where i live dont keep them in stock so i cant try one out.

but i would love to get one but since i cant try one does anyone have any idea on what they are like to play ?

Smile
david2545
david2545

Back to top Go down

6 string bass Empty Re: 6 string bass

Post  Dmanlamius Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:21 am

I have never played one...

...which is a good thing, because I know that something like that would get in the way of me functioning as a proper human being. Eating, sleeping, drinking would all go out of the window, and I would be dead within the month...

...dead, a very happy man though.
Dmanlamius
Dmanlamius

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperMaximo93 Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:47 am

I think they are supposed to be a little harder to play as the neck is wider (I don't think they're thicker though), and the strings are closer together. I'm going to a guitar shop on Saturday so I may have the chance to try one then! Very Happy
SuperMaximo93
SuperMaximo93

Back to top Go down

Post  mts Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:59 am

Just buy a guitar. tongue

Maybe bit offtopic but I think these 6 strings and more are just ridiculous. Like Meshuggah recorded their new album with 8 string guitars and 8 string bass. For me the idea it sounds just kinda silly even when the albumis great. Very Happy
mts
mts

Back to top Go down

Post  Redstarking Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:12 pm

I have seen an 11-stringed bass and my friend has a 9-stringed bass but I never have seen a 6-string bass.
Redstarking
Redstarking

Back to top Go down

Post  Cliff em' all Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:13 pm

mts wrote:Just buy a guitar. tongue

Maybe bit offtopic but I think these 6 strings and more are just ridiculous. Like Meshuggah recorded their new album with 8 string guitars and 8 string bass. For me the idea it sounds just kinda silly even when the albumis great. Very Happy

You mean Obzen
Cliff em' all
Cliff em' all
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Dmanlamius Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:16 pm

Redstarking wrote:I have seen an 11-stringed bass and my friend has a 9-stringed bass but I never have seen a 6-string bass.

Yea, Red. I interviewed Jean Baudin here:

https://freebasslessons.forumotion.com/dman-s-interview-with-f8/jean-baudin-part-one-t115.htm

11 string bass right there. Eek! affraid
Dmanlamius
Dmanlamius

Back to top Go down

Post  Redstarking Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:17 pm

Yea thats how I saw it lol, its funny I saw that interview and then the next time I was on youtube that video was one of the recommended ones lol
Redstarking
Redstarking

Back to top Go down

Post  Cliff em' all Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:21 pm

Dmanlamius wrote:
Redstarking wrote:I have seen an 11-stringed bass and my friend has a 9-stringed bass but I never have seen a 6-string bass.

https://freebasslessons.forumotion.com/dman-s-interview-with-f8/jean-baudin-part-one-t115.htm

Man that's ulgy.No beauty at all! lol!
Cliff em' all
Cliff em' all
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  mts Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:42 pm

Cliff em' all wrote:

You mean Obzen

Yes. That album rocks.
mts
mts

Back to top Go down

Post  Pastichio Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:02 pm

Yea but 8 string basses are different than say a 6 string bass, which are 6 individually tuned strings, 8 strings are usually 4 standard strings with 4 corresponding high strings, the effect is much like a 12 string guitar. I could be wrong but I think John Paul Jones used one on Achilles Last Stand and Jeff Ament used one on Jeremy. The result would be like a natural chorus effect. I wouldn't mind trying one just to see how it felt and I would rather try play an 8 string than a 6 string.
Pastichio
Pastichio
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  david2545 Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:04 pm

Dmanlamius wrote:

this guy is amazing non of my mates beleive he is actually playing it tho Neutral
david2545
david2545

Back to top Go down

Post  stefk0 Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:39 pm

Dmanlamius wrote:I have never played one...

...which is a good thing, because I know that something like that would get in the way of me functioning as a proper human being. Eating, sleeping, drinking would all go out of the window, and I would be dead within the month...

Just 1 question.

Why? You'd die tryin to perfect the instrument?
stefk0
stefk0

Back to top Go down

Post  Igastopheles Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:43 pm

6 strings don't really frighten me anymore. I've always been really intrigued by them and have wanted to mess with one because I want to play around more with chordal stuff.
Igastopheles
Igastopheles

Back to top Go down

Post  Dmanlamius Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:51 pm

stefk0 wrote:

Just 1 question.

Well, i've been addicted to four strings for the last fifteen years. Adding another two would just add to my addiction and fascination of the instrument even more!
Dmanlamius
Dmanlamius

Back to top Go down

Post  mts Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:27 am

Dmanlamius wrote:
stefk0 wrote:

Just 1 question.

Well, i've been addicted to four strings for the last fifteen years. Adding another two would just add to my addiction and fascination of the instrument even more!

So basicly you have managed 15 years with 4 strings. Most likely you can and will make it another 15 years with 4 strings. So do you really need extra strings? geek
mts
mts

Back to top Go down

Post  general lee Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:01 pm

At the time 4 strings are enough for me...
general lee
general lee

Back to top Go down

Post  Redstarking Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:11 pm

I agree.....well I wouldn't mind 5
Redstarking
Redstarking

Back to top Go down

Post  Drakon7 Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:43 am

my only problem would be that one of my favourite things to say about guitarists is "You know what their problem is? 2 STRINGS TOO MANY!"

Id have to give up my cherished phrase Sad

But.. It would be worth it.. <.<

>.>
Drakon7
Drakon7

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down