Free Bass guitar lessons

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Free Bass guitar lessons
Free Bass guitar lessons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bass Amp: Tone, EQ, Compressor Ratio, and Contour

3 posters

Go down

Bass Amp: Tone, EQ, Compressor Ratio, and Contour Empty Bass Amp: Tone, EQ, Compressor Ratio, and Contour

Post  Faceslide Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:06 pm

Hey! Been a long while since I've posted here but I just thought of a question and figured you guys might be the best group to ask!

Bought a new Setup about a month ago, got a Schecter Stiletto 4-string Custom and a 150 Fender Bassman! Amazing upgrade by the way, love them both, however, when I was trying to tab out the Rush song "Natural Science" today I kept wondering how to get that punchy treble sound Geddy Lee pulls off so well. That lead me to an overall question about my Equalizer and Tone configuration on my new Amp.

I'm not sure if someone has already done a little beginner tutorial but I would love for someone to maybe break down the concepts behind some of these 'effects' and kinda give me an idea of what each one does and how they manipulate the sounds. Maybe even show examples for certain genres? (I.E. Funk, Roll up contour and off compressor for distinct High/Low sound) That is if anyone is up for the undertaking!

With love!
Faceslide
Faceslide

Back to top Go down

Bass Amp: Tone, EQ, Compressor Ratio, and Contour Empty Re: Bass Amp: Tone, EQ, Compressor Ratio, and Contour

Post  DavidM96 Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:23 am

well this would be very hard to do because every amp has a unique sound, yes you can get a similar sound but different amps have different settings. One amp may have standard bass, mids, and treble but some amps might have medium lows and things like that. But im sure some of the other more experienced members (more experienced then me, so almost all of them Very Happy ) can help you with this, im just giving my opinion.
DavidM96
DavidM96
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Bass Amp: Tone, EQ, Compressor Ratio, and Contour Empty Re: Bass Amp: Tone, EQ, Compressor Ratio, and Contour

Post  SuperMaximo93 Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:56 pm

Ooh nice man, gotta get some pics up! Smile
I haven't used the amp you have, but I'll give you a little description of the EQ section. It has a Bass, Low Mid, High Mid and Treble control, I presume, looking at the pictures.

Bass/Lows: This is basically all the boom of your sound. If your sound is a little bit thin, boost this, and if its a bit too muddy and indistinct, cut it a bit. And if you don't care and just want to shake everything just crank it (but make sure you don't distort your speaker which will damage it)

Low Mid: This is where the 'punch' of the sound is. It literally punches you in the chest/stomach/groin/etc. It's where the bass is heard the most. On your amp I think it's parametric, so it will allow you to adjust the frequency of this frequency. You can set it somewhere above, below, or directly on the frequency with the most punch (which may vary depending on the room, I think). Setting it below should help reinforce the bassiness of your sound, and setting it above will make your sound cut through the mix more. Experiment and see what you like best

High Mid: This is what cuts through the mix and makes the bass truly heard. In a rock/metal band you'd want to maybe boost this knob if you're getting drowned but in a jazz band you'll want to cut this so you can lay in the background a bit more. I think on your amp it's parametric so you can change the frequency, just have a play around with it.

Treble/Highs: This is the sparkle of your sound. To be honest this'll probably be drowned out in a band setting but may be nice to have if you want to play some harmonics or something.

Hope this helps, this definitely isn't a definitive guide, and this information is only from my experience/reading
SuperMaximo93
SuperMaximo93

Back to top Go down

Post  Faceslide Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:02 pm

Yea, that helped a lot man! I'll upload some pic of the pretty lady soon! I guess it has mostly to do with just fiddling around with the knobs and learning it on your own, probably hard to give an adequate description via forum posts Razz but thanks for trying!
Faceslide
Faceslide

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum