Free Bass guitar lessons

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Free Bass guitar lessons
Free Bass guitar lessons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What inards to use?!?

2 posters

Go down

What inards to use?!? Empty What inards to use?!?

Post  yogatron Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:00 pm

Hi

I brought an old beat up bass for not much money on ebay as a project. It has arrived and is in slightly worse condition than I thought it was going to be. Luckily a friend of mine has offered to wrap the body in carbon fibre (which should look pretty cool), the problem I have is choosing pickups and pots. The bridge is ok but everything electrical needs to be replaced. The problem is I don't want to spend too much money on it incase it sound crap/plays horribly. So I'd like to do it for as little as possible to start with and if it is ok I could upgrade later. I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice on what to start out with.

Cheers

Oh I will put photos up when it's done (as long as it looks cool Cool )
yogatron
yogatron

Back to top Go down

What inards to use?!? Empty Re: What inards to use?!?

Post  DubHertz Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:52 pm

Hi. a bit more info required, what type of bass is it? Precision. Jazz bass, musicman, etc. Which Brand and model? Active or passive?

For pots I recommend CTS or Alpha you can get them here - http://www.axesrus.com/axeElectronicsPots.htm
There are two main pot values for passive basses 250kilohms and 500kilohm. The 500k makes the bass sound more trebley by allowing more high frequencies to pass. and you will need a .22uF capacitor for the tone control - Sprague "Orange Drop" capacitors seem to be the most recommended.

Oh yeah and you need the Audio Taper pots.

It makes sense to use good quality pots. As far as pickups go I need to know what type you are after. But dont be afraid to buy used pickups from Ebay, EMG, Bartolini, Seymour Duncan and even wilkinson are quite good budget pickups
DubHertz
DubHertz

Back to top Go down

Post  yogatron Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:18 pm

Hello mate thanks for the reply, unfortunately I can't give you any more info on the guitar because I don't have any. It's nothing I recognise probably just something very cheap (it only cost me £30 from ebay). As for the pickup at the moment ther is one on it but it looks like there used to to be two (jazz bass style). All I want to do is build it up as a bit of a project and if it sounds bad I'll just hang it on my wall and leave it there as it should look pretty cool all wrapped in carbon fibre Smile .
I think I'll go for 250k pots to start out with and a single pickup, nice and cheap and like I say if it sounds really bad it can be a wall piece, if it sounds ok I may upgrade bits and bobs. afro
yogatron
yogatron

Back to top Go down

Post  DubHertz Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:43 pm

No problem, be careful if you do decide to add another pickup as some jazz basses have odd sized pickup routings. Always check the measurements/dimensions
DubHertz
DubHertz

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum