Free Bass guitar lessons

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Free Bass guitar lessons
Free Bass guitar lessons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oh dear.

2 posters

Go down

Oh dear. Empty Oh dear.

Post  Pippynip Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:55 pm

I bought some flatwounds for my lovely new bass. A 'regular light gauge' set of strings, sounded perfect. Only thing is, for some reason the B string is a monster. An absolute monster. It's so massive that it won't actually fit in the nut; the roundwound one that came with the bass clicks in (yeah, clicks) perfectly but this one almost didn't fit in the bridge and definitely will not get in the nut.

So what should I do? Just buy another flatwound B string and recycle this one as a cat toy? Go to a luthier and get the nut adjusted (if this string doesn't fit, it's likely that many more won't fit either)? Or is this a common thing for B strings and it doesn't matter if the string doesn't fit? I dunno, better safe than sorry Smile

This string's bent near the bottom as well, above the bridge pickup. Quite a bit. Seriously, it's probably a 20 degree angle. Didn't think too much of that though, I imagined it would straighten itself out when wound around the post.
Pippynip
Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Oh dear. Empty Re: Oh dear.

Post  DubHertz Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:02 pm

I had a similar problem with D'addario flats - the B string is usually quite chunky. I had to drill out the bridge hole and file out the nut slot. Nut filing isnt something I would recommend without the correct tools and a some knowledge of what you are trying to do. (not only do you need to make the slot wide and deep enough but you also have to file at the correct angle so that the intonation and string break angle are correct)

Not quite sure what you mean about the bend in the string could you put up a pic?

Due to the increased tension in flatwound strings you will probably need to adjust the truss rod a bit and set up the intonation - I would bring it to a luthier to get it setup properly

The good thing with flats is that you can get normally get the action alot lower before any fret buzz occurs due to the limited movement of the strings.

DubHertz
DubHertz

Back to top Go down

Post  Pippynip Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:19 pm

Haha yeah these are D'Addario strings. K yeah I'll take it to a luthier, if I manage to find one around here Razz In the meantime I just put the roundwounds back on. Had to get sister to help because the bridge is not one where you thread the string through a hole, you kinda push the string down into a gap, and putting strings on that have already been used is annoying Razz

I'll put up a pic of the bend in the string soon. I don't really think it's a serious problem at all, just looks a bit funny Smile
Pippynip
Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  DubHertz Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:25 pm

Wise man....its better to pay £30 - £40 for a good setup with all the correct adjustments just for the peace of mind in case you screw it up (talking from experience). Also you can let the luthier know how low or high you prefer your action to be and have it setup the way you want it.

I take it you are looknig for that reggae bass sound with the flatwounds?
DubHertz
DubHertz

Back to top Go down

Post  Pippynip Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:30 pm

http://www.edgeguitarservices.co.uk/rout_serv/index.htm

Can you have a look at this and see if these are fair prices please?

I won't put up a pic of the bent string because I had a moment of pure genius and... you'll never believe what I did... I BENT IT IN THE OPPOSITE DIRECTION. A bit. Oh yeah. So it is bent no longer.

Yep. Lookin' fo that reggae bass sound. I only learned Fade Away by Junior Byles and Could You Be Loved by Bob Marley, then I kinda just thought the sound wasn't cutting it at all... In fact I haven't learned any songs since then, I've just been improvising to various drum beats for hours on end.

Oh and another thing... when I play the E string or the first fret on the E string, sometimes there's a funny rattling noise coming from the headstock somewhere. Last time that happened I was being a retard and it was actually a stringless tuning peg, but what could this be? Everything seems in order.
Pippynip
Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  DubHertz Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:15 pm

Yeah the going rate seems to range from around £30 to £55 for a basic setup, sometimes its worth trying your local music shop they might do it cheaper or sometimes for nothing if you purchased the bass from them.

I just got a Cort Artisan B5 - still deciding whether or not to put flats on it.

Regarding the rattling, check the big nut on each tuner sometimes these are loose and check you have enough wraps of string around each tuner.

It is possible to get that reggae sound with roundwounds with some equalisation. But flats do make the job easier - once you get used to them Very Happy
DubHertz
DubHertz

Back to top Go down

Post  Pippynip Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:46 pm

Righty-o. Cheers Very Happy

I'm currently learning Guess Who's Coming To Dinner by Black Uhuru... I've messed about a bit and it sounds great until the hammer-on Sad
Pippynip
Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down