Free Bass guitar lessons

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Free Bass guitar lessons
Free Bass guitar lessons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Epiphone EB-3, you've tried it?

5 posters

Go down

Epiphone EB-3, you've tried it? Empty Epiphone EB-3, you've tried it?

Post  Lassepetri Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:33 am

Because I haven't.

So here's the case.

I am your typical beginnerbass-player who has outskilled the bass (at least i think so). So naturally, I want to try something new. But I think its a hard choice to make. I've been in a musicstore, tried some bass-guitars, but since I didn't really know what to feel for and furthermore didn't have any money. I wen't away emptyhanded.

Though i might not be playing as much as I want to, my music-horizon is ever-growing. And sooner or later, everyone will meat Cream. At least I did. And boy did i fall in love with Jack Bruce's EB-3 (Gibson I know) bass-buitar. One thing is the awesome look, but the sound! the deep growling tone from the neckpickup is just... yeah, you know the feeling.

So here's the situation.

Epiphone EB-3 is at a really comfortable prizelevel. Now I know one shouldnt buy an instrument one hasn't tried out first, but here is the catch: For some reason Epiphone EB-3 isn't being imported to danish music-shops. Odd isn't it? They all sell the EB-0, but not EB-3.
I've already read the posts here on the board about the cheaper EB-0, and as I can see, people are not excited about it. The owner of the musicshop i visited really had a grudge on EB-0 and had sworn he would never buy any of those for his shop again, but he couldn't say anything about the quality of the EB-3, since, as I said, for some reason its not obtainable in Denmark from physical shops.

So, finally, my point. Have any of you tried the Epiphone EB-3? I'm dying to get some hands-on information about it from you guys, since my only real option if I am to buy one, is online shopping (I know it's not advisable). I've read what i could from review-sites here and there, and the general attitude towards it is positive, and yet some really bad reviews appear. So what i need from you, if you've tried it, is some pointers on the bass, how does it feel to hold, hows the neck and so forth. Is the neckdive an actual problem, and does it have a 'cheap' feel about it, if you know what i mean. You know what, just tell me everything you got.

Furthermore, if theres a dane from the copenhagen-area on the forum who has one of these badboys, gimme a shout :-) If that should happen, it would render my soon-to-be-an-essay post pointless. But alas. Posts are made to be read. So consider this a treat.

Cheers

Lasse
Lassepetri
Lassepetri

Back to top Go down

Epiphone EB-3, you've tried it? Empty Re: Epiphone EB-3, you've tried it?

Post  Dropthelines585 Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:49 pm

Sorry, I've played a shit-load of basses, but have never played an Epi. Surely someone else has some thoughts, though.
Dropthelines585
Dropthelines585
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Lassepetri Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:58 pm

hmm. Sad. I guess theres another question hidden in my wall of text: Any of you who has experience with buying instruments on webshops? thereby being instruments you havent touched before arriving?
Lassepetri
Lassepetri

Back to top Go down

Post  willba Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:18 pm

Bought my first bass off the internet without trying it, I obviously had no idea about basses so I just read reviews. I probably thought that some are better than others regardless of how you like them personally and if a cheap bass felt good to me i was probably just being a newbie. Very Happy
willba
willba
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Lassepetri Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:39 pm

willba wrote:Bought my first bass off the internet without trying it, I obviously had no idea about basses so I just read reviews. I probably thought that some are better than others regardless of how you like them personally and if a cheap bass felt good to me i was probably just being a newbie. Very Happy

Hehe I bought my bass and amp on a costumer-to-costumer site. It was used equipment and I just paid and recieved the bass + amp. But hell, I just wanted it for the learning. But as i wrote before, I finally feel ive outgrown it Smile I paid about $150 which i feel is ok for a newbie who bought a used newbie-kit.

But when we're talking about ~$400, possibly more, for a bass that hopefully will last me a long time. Well then I get a bit iffy about what to do :-) Especially when its about internetshopping.
Lassepetri
Lassepetri

Back to top Go down

Post  lololiet Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:15 pm

Lassepetri wrote:hmm. Sad. I guess theres another question hidden in my wall of text: Any of you who has experience with buying instruments on webshops? thereby being instruments you havent touched before arriving?

I have, I did that with my Ibanez JTKB, and I love that dearly.
lololiet
lololiet
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Pippynip Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:28 pm

Same with my Ibanez SR305.

An opinion solicited does not equal one freely voiced.
Pippynip
Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Dropthelines585 Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:07 pm

Same with my AEB-10. I never had a problem.

My best advice is to read lots of reviews and watch lots of vids. I got mine out of the MF catalog before YouTube was invented, so at least you have that advantage.
Dropthelines585
Dropthelines585
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum