Free Bass guitar lessons

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Free Bass guitar lessons
Free Bass guitar lessons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Advice on Two Basses

3 posters

Go down

Advice on Two Basses Empty Advice on Two Basses

Post  KevinD Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:29 am

I am coming back into playing bass after 15 years of not playing and am suprized at how well and fast I am picking it up again. Used to play pick style but now am using finger and slap technique . I bought a Wasburn bass and Fender Rumble 60 amp to get back up and going . The Washburns time is up at killing my fingers but has served its purpose . I recently took a trip to the music store and played as many basses as I could and the two that felt like butter to me were the Music Man Stingray HS and the Fender Geddy Lee . Loved both but the Geddy was in need of pickup upgrade and shelling out bucks for a hard case . I did have the salesman adjust the action on the MM (he was embarassed at how horrible it was ) but after that BUTTER . Just wanted some pros opinions on these two wonderful instruments that would make a tremendous upgrade for me and much more comfort in playing . Thanks
KevinD
KevinD

Back to top Go down

Advice on Two Basses Empty Re: Advice on Two Basses

Post  Pippynip Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:25 pm

I'm not a pro, but I'll chuck in my opinion anyway Razz If I were in your situation, I'd get the Geddy just because of personal preference. I'm probably the only bassist who's not too keen on Stingrays Razz I'd rather spend more on a bass I'd enjoy playing more, y'know? I hear both basses are very versatile so you probably won't be disappointed with your choice.
Pippynip
Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperMaximo93 Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:33 pm

Oooh... Two really, really great basses! I've played them both (I have proof of playing a Geddy... see left Razz), and based on those experiences, I can't really choose... (Although personally, I would probably go for the Stingray because I already have a Fender Jazz Razz )

If both basses feel great to you then I suppose all it boils down to is the sound. The Geddy (and all Jazz basses) is an all rounder in terms of tone. It will fit in great with any style of music. The Stingray on the other hand has a punchier tone that is great for rocky genres and also funk. The extra single coil of the particular one you're looking at will give you more tonal variety though, so it might be able to compete with the Geddy's jack of all trades-ness.

Oh, bear in mind that apparently the Geddy's neck needs to be periodically readjusted because it is extremely slim. Big changes in climate (e.g. seasons changing) throw the neck off a bit.

P.S. Welcome to the forum! Smile
SuperMaximo93
SuperMaximo93

Back to top Go down

Post  KevinD Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:02 pm

Thanks for the advice guys . I have made the decision final Bass Central has some awesome MM Bongos that are in rare colors and limited editions . I will post pics when I purchase .
KevinD
KevinD

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down