Free Bass guitar lessons

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Free Bass guitar lessons
Free Bass guitar lessons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Short Scale Basses

4 posters

Go down

Short Scale Basses Empty Short Scale Basses

Post  phoenix Wed May 18, 2011 3:06 pm

Hi everyone.. I am new to this forum (and in Canada.. hellooo!)

I have an Ibanez Acoustic-electric (AEB10BE) and have been loving learning bass on it. It has a 32" scale which seems about right for my smallish hands.

I am looking to buy an electric bass and have seen some great sounding ones.. but the ones I love seem to be 34-35" scale (Ibanez and a cool Peavey Grind) and I think that they would just be too small for my hands. I think something 30-32 would be more comfortable for me at this stage.. but I also don't want to lose on sound quality.

Can you give me some input on good short-scale basses please?

Thanks in advance!
phoenix
phoenix

Back to top Go down

Short Scale Basses Empty Re: Short Scale Basses

Post  Pippynip Wed May 18, 2011 6:11 pm

Hello and welcome to the forum Smile

Hmm... Short scale basses... I know very little about them. Which is helpful. I played a pretty low-end one once - some sort of Jim Deacon bass, looked like a Stringray - that actually sounded pretty good, but I can't find any information about it online whatsoever. Over here at least, if you want a short scale bass or a 5 string bass or something it's pretty much impossible to go and try them out; music stores only really tend to stock long scale 4-string basses. You have to gamble a bit, trying out the 'normal' version of a bass then getting the store to order the short scale or 5-string or whatever version of it you want, hoping that it won't be too different. I hope the situation's different over where you are Razz

Just like with any other bass, the more expensive it is the better it will be. Probably. I think sound quality between different scaled basses is just that; different, not better or worse. Are you able to look round music stores trying out loads and loads of basses? If so, just do that. It's like the bit in the first Harry Potter book when he goes to get his wand, you've got to try out a few before you meet your match Smile
Pippynip
Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  lololiet Wed May 18, 2011 6:25 pm

Danelectro maybe? They're all shortscale, inexpensive and they sound awesome according to many, many people (including Entwistle, Wyman, Quaife & Rinus Gerritsen off of The Golden Earring).
lololiet
lololiet
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Pippynip Wed May 18, 2011 10:58 pm

I gave Danelectro a ruddy good googling and if you like a classic look then one of their basses is probably a solid choice.

http://www.danelectro.com/gtr_wt_bassblk.html

Nice lookin' instrument.
Pippynip
Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Davo 112233 Thu May 19, 2011 8:34 am

Harry Potter???????????????????????
Davo 112233
Davo 112233

Back to top Go down

Post  Pippynip Thu May 19, 2011 1:01 pm

I've read them all Razz
Pippynip
Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  phoenix Thu May 19, 2011 3:15 pm

Thank you so much for your wonderful replies Pippynip & lololiet!

I have also heard about the Dean EVO XM bass... and it also looks like an option. I will be seeing if I can try something out at the music shops though...

thanks again for the help! I hope I am responding to your posts properly Shocked
phoenix
phoenix

Back to top Go down

Post  lololiet Thu May 19, 2011 3:45 pm

I don't really know what your budget is but I have heard very good things about this Allen Woody Rumblekat: http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Bass/Epiphone/Allen-Woody-Rumblekat.aspx It's a bit more expensive though.

The Gibson/Epiphone EB-0 is shortscale too, and that one was used by Jack Bruce(which makes it obligatory briliant)
lololiet
lololiet
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  phoenix Thu May 19, 2011 4:21 pm

Well, since I am fairly new to the bass world, I didn't want anything too pricey.. but that is a really sharp looking bass!
Nice to know that the bass gods out there also use short scale sometimes.. now I don't feel so bad about not being able to stretch my fingers ... yet!
phoenix
phoenix

Back to top Go down

Post  Pippynip Thu May 19, 2011 7:06 pm

DavidSinRocks (an excellent bass player on Youtube) also uses short scale basses in pretty much all of his videos.

Pippynip
Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down