Free Bass guitar lessons

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Free Bass guitar lessons
Free Bass guitar lessons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Right arm placement?

3 posters

Go down

Right arm placement? Empty Right arm placement?

Post  leora667 Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:55 am

I never noticed I had this terrible habit until I watched my position in a mirror one day. My wrist has a sharp bend in it when I play. I rest my forearm on top of the bass when I play and tend to drop my elbow causing the bend in my wrist. I haven't felt any pain from it but if I continue to play that way I know I could develop all sorts of problems and feel the pain later. I have been looking around on the internet and have read that when you play your arm should not touch the bass. I have also read that if it does touch the bass it shouldn't be on top but on the front of it and the wrist should be as straight as possible. I've tried this new approach of not letting my elbow drop and keeping my arm off of the bass but I'm finding I have fatigue in the upper arm. Am I supposed to feel this because it means my arm is getting used to it or am I still doing something wrong? My wrist is straight though now so I guess that's a plus. How do you hold your arm? I also forgot to mention this is when I am playing sitting down and I have a Squier J-bass if that will help for additional information.
leora667
leora667

Back to top Go down

Right arm placement? Empty Re: Right arm placement?

Post  MetalJacob Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:35 am

I keep my wrist straight with my bicep pretty much horizontal when playing while I sit. Sometimes I get really tired, but I think it's just building up muscle.
MetalJacob
MetalJacob

Back to top Go down

Post  Stryfer Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:50 pm

I've posted at least 3-4 times about right arm position...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_oBJlE5qNc&feature=related

The forum is already overcrowded with this video, so I'm just posting the link. Follow it Smile

As far as fatigue goes it's a matter of getting used to it. However, I've found that if you hold your bass a certain way it causes less strain.
Here's how I hold it:
The strap is set so that the bridge is about waist high. The bottom of the bass rests on my thigh if I press it against my body.
The bass itself I keep at an angle so that the head is moving away from me. Most often, bass players keep their bass infront of them, like they were holding a billboard. If you hold it like that, then just move the head away from you and let the body follow and curve around your waist. You should reach a position where you don't have to strain your elbow (or at least strain it less)

This works even when you're sitting down.

Stryfer

Back to top Go down

Post  leora667 Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:02 pm

Thanks for the advice I really appreciate it. The video helped a lot too, well I'm off to practice now Very Happy
leora667
leora667

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum