Free Bass guitar lessons

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Free Bass guitar lessons
Free Bass guitar lessons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Advice on slapping a 6'er

3 posters

Go down

Advice on slapping a 6'er Empty Advice on slapping a 6'er

Post  Drakon7 Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:33 am

Hey guys!

My slapping on a 4 string is fine. But when I slap on my 6'er, it's a bit messy. Anything you can suggest apart from practice? Its mostly accuracy based I think. :/ I'm not sure if people here have much experience with a 6 string bass (or more) at all, but surely someone can help! haha. Its less slapping, now that I think about it, its more popping on the bottom 3 strings, I have terrible aim when trying to do the really fast slap/pop stuff that I love.
Drakon7
Drakon7

Back to top Go down

Advice on slapping a 6'er Empty Re: Advice on slapping a 6'er

Post  Some freaky guy Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:39 pm

Practice and shrink your finger so that they actually fit between the strings when you pop. That's a genuine issue that's kept me from going beyond four strings. Sad
Some freaky guy
Some freaky guy
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Stryfer Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:39 pm

I slap on my 5-string Ibanez which has very little space between the strings...
One thing I've noticed is that you can't let your hands flail about as wildly as they do when slapping a 4-string.
Moving on to a 6er is probably the same effect. It's all in the wrist and small movements.
Check the video that DTL posted in his top 5 bassists, there's a guy who slaps a lot of strings Smile

Stryfer

Back to top Go down

Post  Drakon7 Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:41 pm

Stryfer wrote:I slap on my 5-string Ibanez which has very little space between the strings...
One thing I've noticed is that you can't let your hands flail about as wildly as they do when slapping a 4-string.
Moving on to a 6er is probably the same effect. It's all in the wrist and small movements.
Check the video that DTL posted in his top 5 bassists, there's a guy who slaps a lot of strings Smile

I actually think thats probably it, since flailing is so. damn. fun! Best thing to do when you've had too much caffiene and/or sugar Very Happy

Ill have to check the video out later, Im at work and youtube is blocked.
Drakon7
Drakon7

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down