Free Bass guitar lessons

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Free Bass guitar lessons
Free Bass guitar lessons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help on deciding what to buy

4 posters

Go down

Help on deciding what to buy Empty Help on deciding what to buy

Post  blaze1 Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:04 pm

Hey guys!

I'm new here, and I'm about to buy a bass guitar and become a bassist!
My problem is, I'm not sure what to buy: I'm a sucker for the Flying V (the original Gibson shape, not the Jackson), but I also like the ESP Explorer shape.
Now, I've found a couple of bass Flying Vs for sale on Ebay, and for an acceptable price($350, or $600, with the case). I've also found an Explorer bass for sale for $300.
I would be inclined to buy the Flying V instead of the Explorer, because the V is #1 on my most desired guitar body design, and the Explorer is #2. My problem is this: while searching for a bass V for sale, i've found in comments and forums that it has the worst sound on any bass guitar ever created. What do you think? Do you (or someone you know) have any knowledge of this aspect?

Should i keep saving for the Flying V or go ahead and buy the Explorer (ESP Explorer LTD EX-104)?

Thanks in advance for the response!

blaze1

Back to top Go down

Help on deciding what to buy Empty Re: Help on deciding what to buy

Post  DavidM96 Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:35 pm

from what I've heard they are hard to play while sitting. I've honesty never been into flying V's much. A bit to flashy for me. Im not sure about the ESP, ive never played one. I think DTL might own an ESP though. From what ive heard they seem to be pretty good basses.
DavidM96
DavidM96
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  MetalJacob Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:31 pm

Are the flying V's that you are looking at actually Gibson ones? Because if they're not a real name brand then you're almost definitely wasting your money. Can you post some links to the ones you're looking at?

As for the explorer, LTD's are generally reliable and, to the crowd that they appeal to, have a good sound.
MetalJacob
MetalJacob

Back to top Go down

Post  blaze1 Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:34 pm

MetalJacob wrote:Are the flying V's that you are looking at actually Gibson ones? Because if they're not a real name brand then you're almost definitely wasting your money. Can you post some links to the ones you're looking at?

As for the explorer, LTD's are generally reliable and, to the crowd that they appeal to, have a good sound.

i will, as soon as I will be able to post links

blaze1

Back to top Go down

Post  Stryfer Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:42 pm

Shape doesn't influence sound. You can have two basses shaped flying V - one with a well known brand and the other no-name.
Guess which one sounds better Smile

Stryfer

Back to top Go down

Post  blaze1 Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:46 pm

google this:
Epiphone FLYING V BASS guitar w/original case BLACK BEAUTY Gibson metal 98

and this:
Limited Edition Epiphone Korina Flying V Bass Black

and you'll find them in the search results with link towards Ebay
These are the 2 Vs I was talking about...

blaze1

Back to top Go down

Post  Stryfer Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:58 pm

The ltd edition has very high rated reviews at harmony central, so I'm guessing it's good.
Now the "Gibson metal 98" I don't know. There's an Epiphone 1958 flying V bass reviewd at ultimate-guitar and it also has very high marks.

I've found those two sites to be reliable so they're probably good basses.

Stryfer

Back to top Go down

Post  MetalJacob Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:50 am

Epiphone and LTD are both reliable but I believe they will sound pretty different. If you could try them both out at a store that'd be the best option but since they are not that common, it might be a difficult thing to do so I say go with the V if that's what you want.
MetalJacob
MetalJacob

Back to top Go down

Post  blaze1 Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:53 am

MetalJacob wrote:Epiphone and LTD are both reliable but I believe they will sound pretty different. If you could try them both out at a store that'd be the best option but since they are not that common, it might be a difficult thing to do so I say go with the V if that's what you want.

It would be the best thing in the world to test them, but since I'm nowhere near the American continent, that's out of the question...

blaze1

Back to top Go down

Post  Stryfer Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:02 pm

ltd edition = limited edition XD

They're both Epiphone, except one is not limited edition while the other is. No idea what the difference is.

Of course I'm talking about the two V's you told us too look up. Not sure about the explorer since you didn't give any additional info on it.

Stryfer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down