Free Bass guitar lessons

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Free Bass guitar lessons
Free Bass guitar lessons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How do I find and prepare for a jam session?

+2
Pippynip
kittyt
6 posters

Go down

How do I find and prepare for a jam session? Empty How do I find and prepare for a jam session?

Post  kittyt Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:29 pm

I want to get together and jam with other musicians!

How exactly does this type of thing work? What is the best way to go about finding people to jam with?

I am thinking about the possibility of placing an ad on craig's list. I am also considering seeing if Guitar Center and Music Go Round will let me pin up something on their walls.

I'm generally not a shy person, but am having trouble with stepping out in this regard, especially since I don't even know a whole single song yet! Thanks for any tips!
kittyt
kittyt

Back to top Go down

How do I find and prepare for a jam session? Empty Re: How do I find and prepare for a jam session?

Post  Pippynip Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:12 pm

Voila! Soon you'll know three songs all the way through Very Happy

Anyway, yeah... the ways you mentioned are pretty much the only ways I know of Razz You could also ask your friends if they have friends who play instruments, though. Or if they play instruments themselves. Though, being friends, I expect you'd know already Razz
Pippynip
Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

How do I find and prepare for a jam session? Empty Re: How do I find and prepare for a jam session?

Post  DavidM96 Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:17 am

I've only been in a few jam sessions so far, so I'm not too experienced. All I did was ask around amongst my friends for musicians, seemed to work for me. As far as the learning songs part, just look up tabs on some of your favorite tunes and get rolling. Smile Good Luck! Very Happy
DavidM96
DavidM96
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Pippynip Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:46 am

Or if tabs for a song aren't available (or are wrong), you can ask me to try to learn them by ear for you Very Happy HAPPY TO HELP, I BE.
Pippynip
Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  kittyt Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:42 pm

Thanks guys. I'm going to keep practicing when I can and maybe next month I'll put out the feelers some more.

I do have a couple friends who are into music but sadly, aren't very interested in picking up their instrument again or have vastly different music tastes than what I do so I don't think my jamming is going to be with people I already know.

Also, I have two different tabs for The Cure- Lullaby and neither of them seems to match up with what they guy on the YouTube video that I found is playing Razz I'm glad I found the vid because for some reason seeing it played out is helping me get a better grasp of the timing but not having matching tab is a little maddening.
kittyt
kittyt

Back to top Go down

Post  Stryfer Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:19 am

You could always get your hands on a copy of Guitar Pro for private use... That'll give you both a tab and timing too. It's a great tool for learning songs, but I've come to depend on it too much Sad

Stryfer

Back to top Go down

Post  MetalJacob Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:13 pm

Guitar Pro is excellent for beginners. Plus, if you know anything about torrents, it's totally free. I don't think Guitar Pro will necessarily hold someone back as much as tabs in general will. Just don't overuse tabs, use your ear just as, if not more, often.
MetalJacob
MetalJacob

Back to top Go down

Post  Smaz Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:42 pm

A bit late, sorry!

It depends on what sort of music you want to play, but try looking for blues jams. There are pubs & clubs all over the place doing them.

I got to blues jams twice a month, more if there are any I can get to. They're pretty easy to get into - all you need is a basic knowledge of 12 bar blues, and that will get you through! When I first started going there I knew very little about blues bass (infact, I knew nothing at all!). Through talking to people, watching others & just messing around, I'm now in a couple of blues bands & am able to stand in for others. I wouldn't be half as good as I am if I didn't go to the jams.

You don't really need to know many songs as such - the singer is usually in charge, and will say something like 'Give me a slow blues in A'. You can then make up whatever you want Smile Jam nights like that are always friendly & people there encourage others to get involved & will provide advice & if you're new, whoever is organising the event will likely put you together with the right people Smile

Try here for some resources on blues bass:
http://www.studybass.com/lessons/blues-bass/
Smaz
Smaz

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down