Free Bass guitar lessons

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Free Bass guitar lessons
Free Bass guitar lessons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Small hand size

+3
WNx3fed
Garth
svsinco
7 posters

Go down

Small hand size Empty Small hand size

Post  svsinco Tue May 19, 2009 2:02 am

I know, I know, lots of jokes but I have tiny hands (for a man). How do I deal with this when learning riffs that most people can play by just moving their fingers? I can barely cover 2 frets with my i and m and its hopeless reaching the 3rd fret with r at the same time. Also, my little finger is pretty useless. Is it possible to play fast with hand motion rather than fingering.

Should I be looking for a 3/4 size?

Any help appreciated.

svsinco

Back to top Go down

Small hand size Empty Re: Small hand size

Post  Garth Tue May 19, 2009 3:44 am

Okay, for learning riffs, you're going to have to move your hand. But it's not a bad thing!

You're always going to have to move your hand, it doesn't need to be in finger spread length.

You may find your little finger useless right now, but you just gotta keep practicing! I felt the same way, but slowly I built up my pinky strength and I'm using it just like any other bass player.

Yes, it is possible to play fast with hand motion rather than fingering, but it should be more of a mixed thing. Fast fingering/fast hand motion and once again, comes with practice. And remember, not everything is gonna be fast...

And 3/4 size I assume you mean the size of the bass, which in that case it's all about comfort. Whatever feels the best to you, is perfect.

Hope this helps!
Garth
Garth

Back to top Go down

Post  WNx3fed Tue May 19, 2009 6:31 am

You may find your little finger useless right now, but you just gotta keep practicing!

oh gaaawwdd i can not resist! .... that's what she said Razz
WNx3fed
WNx3fed

Back to top Go down

Post  Smaz Tue May 19, 2009 11:26 am

Try playing with both your 3rd finger & little finger at the same time? That way you can comfortably reach 3 frets, and build up your pinky strength & control Smile You don't need to worry too much about covering as many frets at once as possible! Just do what's comfortable for you Smile
Smaz
Smaz

Back to top Go down

Post  david2545 Tue May 19, 2009 11:32 am

i have quite big hands and can reach easily over 4 frets but i quite often play 4 fingers over 3 frets it gives me more control when i dont need to make big stretched so try playing 4 fingers in 3 frets an see if you get used to it
Smile
david2545
david2545

Back to top Go down

Post  havelok Fri May 22, 2009 12:00 pm

i would either recommend playing with your ringfinger and your pinky at the same time. woks perfect for my small hands. up around the 10th to 12th fret you can change to 4 setting

havelok

Back to top Go down

Post  Dropthelines585 Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:03 pm

I lost the use of my left index finger when I was 13. I play with 3 fingers, and can hold my own quite well. I say small hands, no problem. You'll adapt.
Dropthelines585
Dropthelines585
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down