Free Bass guitar lessons

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Free Bass guitar lessons
Free Bass guitar lessons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Transcribing classical music to bass

+5
Sanalisnail
Flycutter
quack
Drakon7
Protoplm
9 posters

Go down

Transcribing classical music to bass Empty Transcribing classical music to bass

Post  Protoplm Thu May 21, 2009 3:05 am

I've been obsessing over a certain anime recently and decided to transcribe the piece one of the characters plays on his Cello. J.S. Back- Cello Suite 5. The prelude mostly. (If you're interested, the song is located as a backing to this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkuuYWUW2t8)

Sounds pretty difficult to do, and sheet music for it is kind of hard to find, but I'll get it in time. What pieces of the more sophisticated side of music do you guys like to play?
Protoplm
Protoplm

Back to top Go down

Transcribing classical music to bass Empty Re: Transcribing classical music to bass

Post  Drakon7 Thu May 21, 2009 3:08 am

I know Im currently having a PM chat with you. But ill say here to.

I transcribed the ES: Morrowind Theme XD

its such a beautiful song. I know its supposed to be played high up on a piano, but it sounds alright deeeeep on a bass too.
Drakon7
Drakon7

Back to top Go down

Transcribing classical music to bass Empty Re: Transcribing classical music to bass

Post  quack Thu May 21, 2009 12:12 pm

I'm trying to learn the bass part for John Mayers - Clarity. I really like it, really chilled out and mellow. I cna't find the Bass tabs for it so I have to figure it out by ear.

I love Morrowind great game. You two should post videos of what you've transcribed, it would be rad.

- Quack (TheLampMan)
quack
quack

Back to top Go down

Post  Drakon7 Thu May 21, 2009 10:31 pm

Cause Im moving, I dont have anything to record with [yet] so Ill just write the tabs for my morrowind here

Behold, my first, ever, tab.

G|----------------------0------------------
D|-------------0-2----2---0----2-0---------
A|---0 2 3---3---------------------3-2-0---
E|-----------------------------------------

G|------------------0-2---0-4-2---0-4-5-4-2-0---------------------------
D|----------0-2---2----------------------------3-2-0----2-0-------------
A|0-2-3---3-------------------------------------------3-----3-2-0-------
E|----------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, I dont have my bass with me [Im at work] So Im not sure if thats right 100%, But if you know the song, youll be right to just change it around, all the notes are right, its the order Ive put them in =P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXT0tMTBPB8 is the whole theme.
Thats just the part called.. uh.. Nerever Rising, . Wow, its been years since I played that game!

But yeah, play it through once, then play it again with chorus or something.. something to make it sound more epic. Unless you have a full orchestra. in which case TEACHTHEMTHIS****INGSONG
=D

Will upload a video at a later date.

Last edited by Drakon7 on Thu May 21, 2009 10:54 pm; edited 3 times in total
Drakon7
Drakon7

Back to top Go down

Post  Flycutter Thu May 21, 2009 10:33 pm

Protoplm wrote:I've been obsessing over a certain anime recently and decided to transcribe the piece one of the characters plays on his Cello. J.S. Back- Cello Suite 5. The prelude mostly. (If you're interested, the song is located as a backing to this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkuuYWUW2t8)

It's not the same piece but some of the information here might help you transcribe that cello music.

http://www.instituteofbass.com/lessons/cliff_engel/bach/
Flycutter
Flycutter

Back to top Go down

Post  Protoplm Fri May 22, 2009 12:53 am

Flycutter wrote:
Protoplm wrote:I've been obsessing over a certain anime recently and decided to transcribe the piece one of the characters plays on his Cello. J.S. Back- Cello Suite 5. The prelude mostly. (If you're interested, the song is located as a backing to this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkuuYWUW2t8)

It's not the same piece but some of the information here might help you transcribe that cello music.

http://www.instituteofbass.com/lessons/cliff_engel/bach/

That's exactly what I was looking for, the only thing that would be better would be something identical for the one I'm working on. Thanks a ton!!
Protoplm
Protoplm

Back to top Go down

Post  Sanalisnail Sun May 24, 2009 10:17 pm

I've been learning one of Bach's fugues with a friend, listen to it here. I found a copy of sheet music for it that was arranged for two violins and we're just playing the two parts an octave lower Very Happy

Sanalisnail

Back to top Go down

Post  stefk0 Tue May 26, 2009 7:19 pm

I was bored one day and played Turkish Martch (Or Rondo A la Turke, if you prefer) on my bass...
stefk0
stefk0

Back to top Go down

Post  Pastichio Tue May 26, 2009 9:35 pm

Moonlight Sonata, not all of it lol, maybe someday.
Pastichio
Pastichio
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Protoplm Wed May 27, 2009 6:23 pm

So much win.

http://www.jsbach.net/bass/scores/bwv-1011/

I looked for a while.. but an e-mail to Dave Grossman hooked me up with this link Very Happy.

Will post a tab on a few places in 4 string form when I'm done but, at the moment it's taking me a minute per second.. Wish I had some way to record myself though.

Last edited by Protoplm on Thu May 28, 2009 7:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Protoplm
Protoplm

Back to top Go down

Post  lokki Thu May 28, 2009 10:37 am

When people said "Classical music" I thought you guys meant something like Mozart or Bach.

Maybe i'll try making a tab of the 5th.

It's something relaxing.
lokki
lokki

Back to top Go down

Post  MET@LBASS Thu May 28, 2009 11:46 am

that really is going to be hard, just becuase your going to either give it subtle slides or the perfect amount of vibrato

MET@LBASS

Back to top Go down

Post  Protoplm Thu May 28, 2009 7:46 pm

MET@LBASS wrote:that really is going to be hard, just becuase your going to either give it subtle slides or the perfect amount of vibrato

I'm not doing it exactly, just getting the base idea down. Though playing around with vibrato before I read that, you're right. It's an extremely subtle touch, but I have it sounding pretty good.

EDIT: Damn slides, you're right... I'll get it.
Protoplm
Protoplm

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down