Free Bass guitar lessons

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Free Bass guitar lessons
Free Bass guitar lessons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Forum Icons! Update!

4 posters

Go down

New Forum Icons! Update! Empty New Forum Icons! Update!

Post  Protoplm Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:40 pm

Dmanlamius wrote:Yea man, they are perfect!

Do you want to post that pic to the main forums, to see what people think?

New Forum Icons! Update! Wipbut13

Latest incarnation of these buttons.

Old post below:

Spoiler:

Last edited by Protoplm on Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Protoplm
Protoplm

Back to top Go down

New Forum Icons! Update! Empty Re: New Forum Icons! Update!

Post  McSnuggles Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:14 pm

They're beautiful.
McSnuggles
McSnuggles

Back to top Go down

Post  ArniVidar Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:44 am

Protoplm wrote:Any comments or suggestions before this happens are appreciated. Something about them just doesn't seem right to me..

What's not right for me is that they're too high contrast, compared to the current themed ones. That yellow is just too...yellow.. if ya know what I mean. I'd stick with using the colors up in the menu bar for the icons. They're a bit more subtle but still a good 7-8 color contrasts to choose from.

And thank you for doing this.. I hate how the forum icons work today, with absolutely no way of knowing what's been read and what not Smile
ArniVidar
ArniVidar

Back to top Go down

Post  Protoplm Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:48 am

ArniVidar wrote:
Protoplm wrote:Any comments or suggestions before this happens are appreciated. Something about them just doesn't seem right to me..

What's not right for me is that they're too high contrast, compared to the current themed ones. That yellow is just too...yellow.. if ya know what I mean. I'd stick with using the colors up in the menu bar for the icons. They're a bit more subtle but still a good 7-8 color contrasts to choose from.

And thank you for doing this.. I hate how the forum icons work today, with absolutely no way of knowing what's been read and what not Smile

Yes, I agree. no matter how much I played with the colors, I simply could not get them to match the buttons up there. The red is too BOOM, as is the yellow. I'll look at them again and see if I can do anything to fix them.
Protoplm
Protoplm

Back to top Go down

Post  ArniVidar Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:18 am

Protoplm wrote:Yes, I agree. no matter how much I played with the colors, I simply could not get them to match the buttons up there. The red is too BOOM, as is the yellow. I'll look at them again and see if I can do anything to fix them.

Well, matching the menu colors is relatively simple. Here's the Profile button, airbrushed 'clean':

New Forum Icons! Update! Profil10

And this is the same button, shrunk to the correct format of a 23x23px sphere within a 40x40px transparent frame.

New Forum Icons! Update! Profil11

I kept the shadow in because I think it looks much better that way.

And since the icons are already designed to be 40x40, and if you so wanted, you could just as easily just forego the 23x23 standard and make the sphere a bit bigger (still keeping the shadow in it), and even add some text, like so:

New Forum Icons! Update! Profil13

..just to give you an idea

EDIT: The way I see it it's basically just 3 (maybe 4) colors that are needed.

New Forum Icons! Update! Normal10 Normal thread
New Forum Icons! Update! Normal11Normal thread with new post
New Forum Icons! Update! Popula10Popular thread
New Forum Icons! Update! Popula11Popular thread with new post
New Forum Icons! Update! Locked10Locked thread
New Forum Icons! Update! Locked11Locked thread with new post

The Sticky color really shouldn't exist, since you could apply a sticky to any thread, which would basically mean you'd need a whole new set of 6 icons just for that. The Announcements (being sysadmin news and announcements) could then be the 4th color, but they are usually locked from the start (or posted in a forum where users can't post anyway) so they really take care of themselves without a special color.

As my jazz teacher kept saying, less is more Smile
ArniVidar
ArniVidar

Back to top Go down

Post  Protoplm Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:15 am

I'm still set on having something unique for New posts in general. While functionality shows in yours, I still like the idea of having more variety with things.

I took what you said into consideration and started playing with the colors again. It sparked something in me that made everything ugly about what I had stick out.

New Forum Icons! Update! Wipbut12

Look closely at the N, the coloring on it is.. perfect. Atleast to me it seems. I redid the yellow, so it should be much more subtle - I'm still working on that.

Now the Red is bothering me. I remade the button completely, and the H itself is much cleaner. But while it isn't quite as in your face as the previous one was, it's still.. dull. It lacks the luminosity the New Posts icon has. I'm going to see if a certain friend of mine has something that can give it that. If all goes well I should have a finished product by tomorrow.

I like the shadows you mentioned as well, I'll add some to my finish product and have one version with and one without. We'll look at which looks better.

The whole forum has this, colorful and cheerful feel to it. The icons you proposed, while just examples, feel.. bland? All in all, the whole goal here is to keep that atmosphere to it while still keeping it professional.

D'man should show up in the next day or so and give his opinion on it though.

EDIT: The idea to have green for no new posts and that turquoise color for new posts comes from the categories on the main page.
Protoplm
Protoplm

Back to top Go down

Post  ThreeLetterSyndrom Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:58 pm

ArniVidar wrote:
New Forum Icons! Update! Normal10 Normal thread
New Forum Icons! Update! Normal11Normal thread with new post
New Forum Icons! Update! Popula10Popular thread
New Forum Icons! Update! Popula11Popular thread with new post
I like these best, only I'm bothered about the colours. It's hard for me to distinguish between some colours, and I'm likely to be mixing up these two. Perhaps other colours (yellow, light-green) would fit better.

ThreeLetterSyndrom
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  ArniVidar Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:24 pm

Protoplm wrote:I'm still set on having something unique for New posts in general. While functionality shows in yours, I still like the idea of having more variety with things.

Well yeah, I think you're right there. There's plenty of colors to choose from, so why not distinguish new from old with a color as well.

Protoplm wrote:Look closely at the N, the coloring on it is.. perfect. Atleast to me it seems. I redid the yellow, so it should be much more subtle - I'm still working on that.

Now the Red is bothering me. I remade the button completely, and the H itself is much cleaner. But while it isn't quite as in your face as the previous one was, it's still.. dull. It lacks the luminosity the New Posts icon has.

I like these very much. The Gree button is, as you say, luminous and sharp and has good contrast between the N and the button. I also like both the yellow and the red now, and think the red has excellent contrast between H and the button. Maybe the X is a tad too dark, creating a higher contrast in that button than the others. It seems to be relatively darker than the N and the H.

The luminosity of the icons seems to be higher in the N, than in the H and the X. I'm not sure they really need to have higher luminosity to function properly, but you are right that there is a difference, and that the N really looks awesome.

Protoplm wrote:The whole forum has this, colorful and cheerful feel to it. The icons you proposed, while just examples, feel.. bland? All in all, the whole goal here is to keep that atmosphere to it while still keeping it professional.

Oh yes, quite bland. And darker/higher contrast colors than really needed. It was just a quick'n'dirty.

ThreeLetterSyndrom wrote:I'm bothered about the colours. It's hard for me to distinguish between some colours, and I'm likely to be mixing up these two.

Ah, true enough. Those are the exact color-blindness test colors Very Happy Aren't the colors in Proto's picture much better?
ArniVidar
ArniVidar

Back to top Go down

Post  ThreeLetterSyndrom Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:26 pm

ArniVidar wrote:
ThreeLetterSyndrom wrote:I'm bothered about the colours. It's hard for me to distinguish between some colours, and I'm likely to be mixing up these two.

Ah, true enough. Those are the exact color-blindness test colors Very Happy Aren't the colors in Proto's picture much better?
Yes, those are great, but I don't really like the button style now I've seen yours Razz

ThreeLetterSyndrom
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Protoplm Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:09 am

Most recent progress on the first post.
Protoplm
Protoplm

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down