Free Bass guitar lessons

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Free Bass guitar lessons
Free Bass guitar lessons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

When I slap and pop, where does my thumb hit?

+4
frozen.morale
SuperMaximo93
slimdesel17
Admin
8 posters

Go down

When I slap and pop, where does my thumb hit? Empty Re: When I slap and pop, where does my thumb hit?

Post  slimdesel17 Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:42 pm

I see where to hit. Im wondering, the actual motion of the slap. When you slap, are you almost like bouncing your thumb off the string? I seem to always get a dead mute-like sound no matter what. Or are you having your thumb slightly graze off the side of the string? Thanks

slimdesel17

Back to top Go down

When I slap and pop, where does my thumb hit? Empty Re: When I slap and pop, where does my thumb hit?

Post  SuperMaximo93 Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:00 pm

slimdesel17 wrote:I see where to hit. Im wondering, the actual motion of the slap. When you slap, are you almost like bouncing your thumb off the string? I seem to always get a dead mute-like sound no matter what. Or are you having your thumb slightly graze off the side of the string? Thanks

I had a problem similar to this when I started slapping! Check this out:
http://mrlamius.blogspot.com/2009/03/slapdynamics-question-answered-from-my.html
This vid was made from my topic on the old black forums before these new forums came about btw Wink
SuperMaximo93
SuperMaximo93

Back to top Go down

Post  slimdesel17 Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:14 pm

cool. i never saw that one. thanks

slimdesel17

Back to top Go down

Post  frozen.morale Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:26 pm

I've got a small question. (it could be stupid so bear with me).

When you go down to slap the string should you angle your thumb to push a vibration or should it hit it down flat? Also when it hits it down flat, am I attempting to push the string to touch the pickups (hitting with force) or am I simply giving it a tap.

When I try half of the time I do it (or more like 78%) it makes a bit of a screeching noise. I'm inclined to believe I just need to practice but my fear has me thinking I'm doing something wrong. O.o

thanks for any advise.

frozen.morale

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperMaximo93 Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:50 pm

frozen.morale wrote:I've got a small question. (it could be stupid so bear with me).

When you go down to slap the string should you angle your thumb to push a vibration or should it hit it down flat? Also when it hits it down flat, am I attempting to push the string to touch the pickups (hitting with force) or am I simply giving it a tap.

When I try half of the time I do it (or more like 78%) it makes a bit of a screeching noise. I'm inclined to believe I just need to practice but my fear has me thinking I'm doing something wrong. O.o

thanks for any advise.

You should use the side of your thumb where the joint is, and loosely rotate the wrist so that it hits the string onto the end of the fretboard. Your thumb should bounce off, leaving the string to vibrate.

This may help:
http://mrlamius.blogspot.com/2009/03/slapdynamics-question-answered-from-my.html

I hope this helps! Smile
SuperMaximo93
SuperMaximo93

Back to top Go down

Post  Smaz Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:19 pm

Generally speaking:

You should be looking to hit the string on the side of your thumb, where your knuckle is. Give it a good smack, but like maximo said let your thumb bounce back off the string or it won't ring out properly.

The best area to slap/pop is towards the neck, as a lot of the slap / pop sound comes from the strings hitting the frets on the neck - being closer to the neck helps this.

Whether your thumb is angled, or in line with the string it doesn't matter to much - that's a case of whatever is comfortable for you Smile

Any more questions, or if neither of mine or maximos posts help, feel free to ask!

Back to top Go down

Post  frozen.morale Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:09 am

Smaz wrote:Generally speaking:

You should be looking to hit the string on the side of your thumb, where your knuckle is. Give it a good smack, but like maximo said let your thumb bounce back off the string or it won't ring out properly.

The best area to slap/pop is towards the neck, as a lot of the slap / pop sound comes from the strings hitting the frets on the neck - being closer to the neck helps this.

Whether your thumb is angled, or in line with the string it doesn't matter to much - that's a case of whatever is comfortable for you Smile

Any more questions, or if neither of mine or maximos posts help, feel free to ask!
I'm thinking what might be happening is my wrist isn't able to rotate properly. My arm was broken when I was born so its messed up and my right wrist is really tight (whereas if I switch hands and do it leftie my left hand wrist can slap and bounce off the strings with ease). I've got a feeling that if that is the case then it could take me quite a while to get to the point where I am doing it properly.

I'll keep practicing it for the next few weeks as much as I can stand and see if I don't see results. XP

frozen.morale

Back to top Go down

Post  Nuck81 Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:43 am

My only problem with slapping (other than sucking horrendously) is if I try to slap anything on the A string I inadvertently Hit E as well.

Oh well I;m too White Boy to play those hot funky sap and pop Lines Smile
Nuck81
Nuck81

Back to top Go down

Post  lokki Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:53 pm

Play that funky music white boy?

Sorry, i just couldn't resist XD

But yeah, if you go to the blog there should be a tutorial about how/when/where to hit.
Have you tried any of the above tips yet? Including the link Maximo put there.
lokki
lokki

Back to top Go down

Post  frozen.morale Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:29 pm

lokki wrote:Play that funky music white boy?

Sorry, i just couldn't resist XD

But yeah, if you go to the blog there should be a tutorial about how/when/where to hit.
Have you tried any of the above tips yet? Including the link Maximo put there.
This takes a lot of practice- I still suck at it terribly but what I do almost resembles half-decent slap and pop.

I've also noticed you don't get as good of slap with cheaper guitars, I went into guitar center a few weeks ago and laid it down on a musicman and got a much better sound (not to mention expensive amps). I'm decent enough now to play Higher Ground slowly and I can see with a little more precision and timing I can get the right sound..funk is definitely the most difficult style to play as it takes good experience to get the right sound.

Also having treble up seems to help a lot to; need to work your wrist so that it becomes second nature to pop it back up on the slap instead of letting it lean into the strings after you slap... this is what I've learned since I last posted anyways.

frozen.morale

Back to top Go down

Post  Cliff em' all Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:44 pm

Υeah,when i try to hit the a string with thumb,i always hit the e string.Do you think it might be the way i slap.My thumb looks downwards when i slap/
Cliff em' all
Cliff em' all
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  frozen.morale Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:23 pm

Cliff em' all wrote:Υeah,when i try to hit the a string with thumb,i always hit the e string.Do you think it might be the way i slap.My thumb looks downwards when i slap/
Yeah it should be pointing almost up toward the neck of your guitar. (slightly slanted it perfectly fine), the dip on the outside of your thumb (right past where you hit on your thumb; the knuckle) should be where the strings above the string your slapping rest in. So E should rest in there well.

In the videos Dman made he talks about that. Try to point your thumb entirely straight with the neck at first while you practice then allow yourself to slowly point it down away from the neck a little bit as you get better at hitting a single string.

frozen.morale

Back to top Go down

Post  Cliff em' all Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:14 am

frozen.morale wrote:
Cliff em' all wrote:Υeah,when i try to hit the a string with thumb,i always hit the e string.Do you think it might be the way i slap.My thumb looks downwards when i slap/
Yeah it should be pointing almost up toward the neck of your guitar. (slightly slanted it perfectly fine), the dip on the outside of your thumb (right past where you hit on your thumb; the knuckle) should be where the strings above the string your slapping rest in. So E should rest in there well.

In the videos Dman made he talks about that. Try to point your thumb entirely straight with the neck at first while you practice then allow yourself to slowly point it down away from the neck a little bit as you get better at hitting a single string.

When i put my thumb straight to the neck 1/4 times i hit the fretboard. Sad
Cliff em' all
Cliff em' all
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  frozen.morale Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:43 pm

Cliff em' all wrote:
frozen.morale wrote:

When i put my thumb straight to the neck 1/4 times i hit the fretboard. Sad
Try tilting it a little bit kind of the angle of a dash \

You will miss the strings a little bit at first, just keep practicing hitting a single string every time, trying to hit on the knuckle of your thumb each time.

(I find it helpful when practicing to practice songs; a fun one for me has been Higher Ground and also https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SVd9dM5r0Q&NR=1 -- decent slap/pop riff kind of cool once you figure it out).

frozen.morale

Back to top Go down

Post  Cliff em' all Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:34 pm

Great!Thanks a lot man! cheers
Cliff em' all
Cliff em' all
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  frozen.morale Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:40 pm

Cliff em' all wrote:Great!Thanks a lot man! cheers
np, let me know how it goes- takes so much practice I almost gave up on it but then I finally got it (after a blister).

frozen.morale

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum