Free Bass guitar lessons

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Free Bass guitar lessons
Free Bass guitar lessons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Loose or tight strings?

2 posters

Go down

Loose or tight strings? Empty Loose or tight strings?

Post  Grenade Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:46 pm

Hey everybody! Razz

Just got my first bass 3-4 days ago and I'm having a hard time finding a good sound; I get alot of disturbance etc.

So I was wondering: should the strings be loose or tight? My tuner says either way so, I don't feel I can trust it, hence I go to you guys! Like a Star @ heaven
Any answer similar to the topic is fine.

-Cheers, Grenade

Grenade

Back to top Go down

Loose or tight strings? Empty Re: Loose or tight strings?

Post  Fuzzy Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:08 pm

Make sure the strings are tuned appropriately first, according to your tuner, EADG is the standard for 4 string basses.
Depending on the gauge of the strings (thickness) they should be pretty tight, thicker strings have more tension than lighter gauge strings.
You should be able to bend the strings a fair bit, unless you have a real heavy set of strings, and they shouldn't be floppy enough to make a "clacking" sound on the fretboard when you play on a string, unless of course your action (string height) is very low.

Tune the strings first to EADG then see if there are any more problems.

Welcome to the forum! Very Happy
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Grenade Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:09 pm

Fuzzydice45 wrote:Make sure the strings are tuned appropriately first, according to your tuner, EADG is the standard for 4 string basses.
Depending on the gauge of the strings (thickness) they should be pretty tight, thicker strings have more tension than lighter gauge strings.
You should be able to bend the strings a fair bit, unless you have a real heavy set of strings, and they shouldn't be floppy enough to make a "clacking" sound on the fretboard when you play on a string, unless of course your action (string height) is very low.

Tune the strings first to EADG then see if there are any more problems.

Welcome to the forum! Very Happy

Thx mate!

Made me understand a bit how hard they should be, really appreciated! Smile

Grenade

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down