Free Bass guitar lessons

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Free Bass guitar lessons
Free Bass guitar lessons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

bass

+7
maxf13
Stryfer
BlackF89
Some freaky guy
Pippynip
Drakon7
roy
11 posters

Go down

bass Empty bass

Post  roy Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:32 am

what type of bass do you think is good for a bigginer no matter how much:?: Question

roy

Back to top Go down

bass Empty Re: bass

Post  Drakon7 Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:10 am

Who minus repped the poor person?

No matter how much, eh?

Musicman Stingray Razz

Jokes

Ibanez, Fender and ESP have some good starter packs.
Drakon7
Drakon7

Back to top Go down

Post  Pippynip Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:48 am

I got a Crafter bass, and it's pretty good. Not too keen on the amp that was included, but hopefully I'll be getting another 'un soon.
Pippynip
Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Some freaky guy Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:54 am

I need some advice on this too, the bass I use at the moment is borrowed. So if you know of any good, cheap basses, please tell me.
Some freaky guy
Some freaky guy
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  BlackF89 Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:34 am

Ibanez GSR200

but as always I say try before you buy, you might favor something cheap and cheerful

Last edited by BlackF89 on Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
BlackF89
BlackF89

Back to top Go down

Post  Stryfer Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:07 am

Spelling mistake Black, it's GSR200.
Yea, my starter was the Ibanez GSR205. Same as that one, only the 5 string version. I have to say after 3 years I'm still using it and it's my best friend Smile

If the cost doesn't matter, make sure you get something that isn't to expansive but that WILL last.
This excludes the starter packs - they are just too weak.

ESP is known as a metal guitar company...not sure if they have any mild sounding instruments, but if you like metal it could be good.

As far as Fender goes, look for a squire. My suggestion would be the Squire Vintage Modified Jazz bass. It's twice the price of the Ibanez GSR (at least in my local music store), but it's a very good all-around bass. I've been trying to collect enough money for it ever since I got into funk.

So it depends on your style. If you're going to go for Flea's style of playing and music, then get the Squire. If your going for a very metalish style (let's say Slayer or Children of Bodom) get the ESP. If you plan to do a lot of fast finger picking and scales (ala Iron Maiden) then I found the Ibanez to be perfect for this.

Also, a lot of people will say "get a 4 string then switch to a 5 string". Well, I started on a 5 string and on this particular bass the strings are really close together, because the neck is almost as small as a 4 string. The good thing here is that, right from the start, it forces my playing to be accurate. Now when I take a 4-string into my hands, it's like I have all the space in the world to do whatever. Very Happy

If your still unsure, post the type of music you listen to and plan to play.

Stryfer

Back to top Go down

Post  BlackF89 Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:35 pm

fixed Smile
BlackF89
BlackF89

Back to top Go down

Post  maxf13 Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:52 pm

personally (many people will hate me for this) i dont like the ibanez SR line
this is because the pickups are curved and there is nowhere to put ur thumb (REALLY ANNOYING)
so yh
if ur looking for a soundgear go for a GSR or SRX
maxf13
maxf13

Back to top Go down

Post  Drakon7 Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:58 pm

maxf13 wrote:personally (many people will hate me for this) i dont like the ibanez SR line
this is because the pickups are curved and there is nowhere to put ur thumb (REALLY ANNOYING)
so yh

Well it really does become natural, if anything I think it makes me play faster nowadays!
Drakon7
Drakon7

Back to top Go down

Post  Stryfer Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:40 pm

About the curved pickups. You were never meant to rest your thumb on the pickups Smile Trust me on this.

Also as I said in another topic. If the cost doesn't matter, then make sure it feels right in your hands (try holding several different basses) and make sure you like the sound. You can play around with sound later, but you will still be stuck within the boundries of the bass. Just make sure it suits the music you want to play.

Stryfer

Back to top Go down

Post  BlackF89 Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:51 pm

maxf13 wrote:personally (many people will hate me for this) i dont like the ibanez SR line
so yh

Yeah I prefer the P/J set up Ibanez's too Smile
BlackF89
BlackF89

Back to top Go down

Post  Drakon7 Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:08 am

Stryfer wrote:About the curved pickups. You were never meant to rest your thumb on the pickups Smile Trust me on this.

Also as I said in another topic. If the cost doesn't matter, then make sure it feels right in your hands (try holding several different basses) and make sure you like the sound. You can play around with sound later, but you will still be stuck within the boundries of the bass. Just make sure it suits the music you want to play.

Anchoring is a very important thing if you want to gain speed. its just simple physics, using your fingers to pluck the strings forces your hand down, you anchor on the pickup to maintain the level you are at. Its not neccesary but it is a widely used technique that has been around for ages. Ive never read a method book or saw a youtube video that has said otherwise.

If you mean you werent sposed to rest at all on the SR line, that can be up for debate.
Drakon7
Drakon7

Back to top Go down

Post  Fuzzy Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:52 am

I rest my thumb on top of the pickup on my SR300, the fact the pickup is curved doesn't really change anything...
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Drakon7 Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:33 am

Fuzzydice45 wrote:I rest my thumb on top of the pickup on my SR300, the fact the pickup is curved doesn't really change anything...

On mine, I do the same. Ill admit it took some getting used to, but it was only a day or two.
Drakon7
Drakon7

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperMaximo93 Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:54 am

Same here!! It's a really amazing bass but those damn pickups just screw with anchoring Mad
SuperMaximo93
SuperMaximo93

Back to top Go down

Post  Fuzzy Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:20 am

I sorta wedge my thumb in the little cut out part for the screw, gives you more grip.
Very Happy
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  KrysH Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:56 am

I've got a frozen shoulder at the mo and I find myself resting my thumb on the end of the fingerboard a lot as on a bad day my shoulder joint just isn't flexible enough for me to do anything else. On a good day or if I'm standing up I anchor on the middle pickup, the SR pickups aren't that bad to rest on.

I suppose if you wanted to you could find your own prefered playing position and add a thumb rest if you could find the part from somewhere (and if you don't mind screwing it to your beloved instrument).

Just my two penneth!
KrysH
KrysH

Back to top Go down

Post  akyra Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:11 am

I would suggest my Bass... but I wouldn't do that to anyone...

Have a look in second hand shops/Cash converters, they always have cheap basses. And you never know what you'll find. XD

If your just starting out I wouldnt go splashing out on an expensive bass... You may not like playing bass or get fed up (athough I doubt it).
akyra
akyra

Back to top Go down

Post  maxf13 Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:55 pm

yh i just changed my mind about the anchoring
i have completely stoped anchoring because it makes my wrist bend which after a while hurts alot
so now i just place my thumbs across the strings
makes muting a lot easier also
and it doesnt really make you play any slower
maxf13
maxf13

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down