Free Bass guitar lessons

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Free Bass guitar lessons
Free Bass guitar lessons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Back to theory

3 posters

Go down

Back to theory Empty Back to theory

Post  willba Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:27 pm

I used to be able to read sheet music when I played piano, but that was several years ago now and I have forgotten it all Sad

At the moment i feel that im not progressing very well and that I should brush up on things like scales and theory so that I may find the muscial world a little less daunting. So anyways I was on Playbassnow.com and I was looking at the following stuff

http://playbassnow.com/wp-content/uploads/podcast/bass_reading.pdf

It tells you to play the notes from E to A, and I was just wondering, why dont you do this up one string instead of moving across every string? Is it a scale?

Cheers in advance Smile
willba
willba
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Back to theory Empty Re: Back to theory

Post  Smaz Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:36 pm

You can technically play it anywhere you like Smile

The reason you'd generally play across a few strings rather than up and down one string is purely to make it easier (think back to dman's bit on economy of motion). You can play all the notes mentioned on that playbassnow pdf without moving your hand if you go across strings - however to play on one string, the A octave (Fret 2 on the G string) would be fret 15 on the E string... That's a little bit of a stretch Wink Plus if you then needed to go back to the low G (3rd fret E string), that'd be one huge jump. However you can reach the 3rd fret E string & 2nd fret G string without breaking a sweat Smile
Smaz
Smaz

Back to top Go down

Back to theory Empty Back to theory

Post  willba Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:04 pm

Ah thanks Smaz, seems kinda obvious now you explain it >< Well i still class myself as a beginner until ive got to a certain point in the bass learning pyramid Smile
willba
willba
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  BlackF89 Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:19 pm

willba wrote:Ah thanks Smaz, seems kinda obvious now you explain it >< Well i still class myself as a beginner until ive got to a certain point in the bass learning pyramid Smile
Totally, I'll be a noob in my eyes for a few years and I'm sure many wouldn't disagree haha
BlackF89
BlackF89

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down