Free Bass guitar lessons

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Free Bass guitar lessons
Free Bass guitar lessons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Excercizes 4 speed and accuracy

3 posters

Go down

Excercizes 4 speed and accuracy Empty Excercizes 4 speed and accuracy

Post  Nocturnal_Pulse Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:06 am

I was wondering if there is anything else than travelling the fretboard with 1-2-3-4 or 2-3-4-5 etc, above the strings below the strings and doing it backwards like 12-11-10-9 etc.

I enjoy practicing, I try to practice at least an hour a day but I have problems.

a) It might sound lame, but I am bored of doing this for more than an hour. But I do it. Problem is the PINKY. Yes guys and gals that abnormally small PINKY!!! It's not accurate at all, but it's strong. But it's not accurate. Any tips for that?

b) In 80 tempo I can do that all day long (and if the pinky won't rebel). But: When it comes to the time that I have to play 2 notes in 4/4 I can't, I lose the beat. I don't know what to play I can't sync my hands. First measure is fine and then I lose it completely. I tried to use my mouth instead of the metronome to do that 1 (2) 3 (4) but is worse. Sad

c) Last but not least, since is my biggest problem.

I do the fretboard to the 15th fret. That evil pinky won't reach the E string. from the tenth to the 12th and 15th it will buzz and won't reach properly, and my hand hurts because I don't know the correct position Sad My thumb is strong and following, the pinky is accurate in beat and placing, but my hand will hurt like sh#t and I won't hear the string properly...

Any help for these? Sad
Nocturnal_Pulse
Nocturnal_Pulse
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Excercizes 4 speed and accuracy Empty Re: Excercizes 4 speed and accuracy

Post  Stryfer Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:33 am

First...yes, doing all that practice all day is boring as heck. I prefer playing songs with a lot of finger scale work, a lot of Iron Maiden songs have this. The point is to find songs where you are forced to use all your fingers to play the lines properly and where there is a lot of movement. Don't worry if the songs are too fast. Get some guitar pro tabs, slow them down and start learning real slow and speed up as you get better.

a) The only tip I can give you is to constantly use your pinky. Even if you are playing across 3 frets, it's better to leave out one of the 2 middle fingers than the pinky. You'll get it into shape soon enough.

b) You need to tap the beat! Most players will tap with their foot. Each hit is one beat. Basically, put your foot up, then when the 1 comes, put it down on the floor in sync with the 1 and then lift it up and down again in sync with the 2 and so forth. This of course has to be conveyed into a full motion, so that your always moving your foot up and down. Then synch those movements with your fingers. If you can pluck a note on every hit, then just skip one and pluck it on the next. Also, try to exercise patience. Most beginners are in a rush to play and they're afraid of missing the note as it comes. Just wait for it...wait...for the exact right moment...and...pluck!

c) This is just a matter of getting used to the position. Your hand will find it's position in time. It took me a good year or so before I could play in that area without any strain. In fact, it took me 2 years before I could play the E and B/H around the 17th fret and onward properly.

Stryfer

Back to top Go down

Post  Nocturnal_Pulse Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:42 pm

Stryfer wrote:First...yes, doing all that practice all day is boring as heck. I prefer playing songs with a lot of finger scale work, a lot of Iron Maiden songs have this. The point is to find songs where you are forced to use all your fingers to play the lines properly and where there is a lot of movement. Don't worry if the songs are too fast. Get some guitar pro tabs, slow them down and start learning real slow and speed up as you get better.

a) The only tip I can give you is to constantly use your pinky. Even if you are playing across 3 frets, it's better to leave out one of the 2 middle fingers than the pinky. You'll get it into shape soon enough.

b) You need to tap the beat! Most players will tap with their foot. Each hit is one beat. Basically, put your foot up, then when the 1 comes, put it down on the floor in sync with the 1 and then lift it up and down again in sync with the 2 and so forth. This of course has to be conveyed into a full motion, so that your always moving your foot up and down. Then synch those movements with your fingers. If you can pluck a note on every hit, then just skip one and pluck it on the next. Also, try to exercise patience. Most beginners are in a rush to play and they're afraid of missing the note as it comes. Just wait for it...wait...for the exact right moment...and...pluck!

c) This is just a matter of getting used to the position. Your hand will find it's position in time. It took me a good year or so before I could play in that area without any strain. In fact, it took me 2 years before I could play the E and B/H around the 17th fret and onward properly.

I am very relieved that you proposed me to start finding tabs to learn songs instantly. I thought that I wouldnt do that till I learn all the notes and chords and scales and etc

a) Yes I will always use my pinky and get it in shape... I try not to leave out any of the fingers Smile

b) I know that tapping the foot works but I couldnt use it, ever, not even when I had the guitars lessons. That's why I try so much with the metronomes. Also, last night I was in a concert of My Dying Bride, the bassist was just awesome, she seemed to have aaaaaalllllll the time available to wait and pluck... And when it comes even to my practice hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm I dont think I can do that so cool yet. lol

c) So I eventually will learn the position. Good, because I was losing my confidence with that... 2 years with how many practice ....? lol
Nocturnal_Pulse
Nocturnal_Pulse
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Stryfer Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:40 pm

Yea, I started learning songs from day one. If you use tabs - or even better: guitar pro - learning songs is the best way of learning stuff. After all, it's just theory put into a real situation and that's more important than knowing plain theory. Although, I did have an understanding of the major and minor scale before I started seriously learning songs. By understanding I mean I knew the patterns and thats it Laughing
Make sure not to take an extremely hard song though. If you need suggestions look here: https://freebasslessons.forumotion.com/general-chat-talk-about-anything-f10/bass-song-suggestions-t876.htm

b) If the foot doesn't work, try your head instead I found that more to my liking Smile Although my prof. forced me to learn to do it by foot because it's more accurate at the start. However, I more often tapped the heel of my foot on the floor - it was more natural to me. Also, to help gain some patience, try to relax your self while playing and let the whole rhythm flow through you. Most people are anxious and try to hard, then they screw up because they rush, if you relax it's actually easier. However, being able to relax takes practice too Razz

c) Total practice time on avrage is 3 hours. Sometimes it was six, sometimes a half hour. Let me point out though, that I didn't really practice playing so high up, it just gradually happened - I didn't even notice. I do remember that the first step was learning the intro to Around The World by RHCP, that's what got me into playing higher on the fretboard.

Stryfer

Back to top Go down

Post  Nocturnal_Pulse Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:25 pm

The first thing I started playing was the riff from "Lucretia My Reflection" which was the funnest thing ever done, it's the same 4 or 5 notes on A: 0, 3, 9, 10, 5 if I am not mistaken and it was easy for me to start it slowly and then let the rythm flow in me as you said, and it was very educating since I now can move on the fretboard more sure about where is the ninth or eleventh fret!

But then I started with this very awesome book (Bass Fitness), it helps me very much doing metronome exercises and I see the strength in my hands everyday.

Now I picked a song in 4/4, fairly easy (I wonder how did you manage your first song to be RCHP, I tried Otherside so many times - I own the bassbook and I count with the noting etc etc but it's not working) it's "Gone Away" from The Offspring.

I will check out the suggestions too, I just thought there will be more intermediate things that I cannot yet catch!

And I ve found so many tutorials, so many books and on theory and all and I am very eager to start playing without awful buzzes.

Also about the chords, I m trying to visualize the trick but I often lose it.

Thanks stryfer! What a Face
Nocturnal_Pulse
Nocturnal_Pulse
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  maxf13 Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:45 pm

epic answer by stryfer as per usual
+1
maxf13
maxf13

Back to top Go down

Post  Stryfer Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:53 am

Wow, nice song! It's nice that you're learning to move across the entire fretboard Smile Now, if I may make a suggestion in order to show you the value of scales:
Instead of playing all the notes on the A string try: 5th fret on E (instead of the empty A), 3rd fret on A, 4th fret on D (instead of 9th on A), 5th fret on D (instead of 10th on A) and 5th fret on A. This way you could play everything in just one position and it may give you a better overview of the song. Then again, maybe it's better if this song is played entirely on the A, I haven't played it at all...so no idea.

Offspring is a fairly easy band to start out with. You could try Pretty Fly if you're up for a bit of scale movement.
I learned Otherside without counting - I just felt the song right away. However, I've been listening to it for ages because I really love the slide on the bass, it's the first song where I actually noticed the bass. I could only learn the basics of the song, no fancy improvs and the solo gave me hell. Today I laugh at myself when I think of how much trouble I had XD

When you say you have buzzing problems, do you mean just in the other half of the fretboard or in general?

Also, I've seen something similar to this but I don't understand it at all (XD): "visualize the trick, but often lose it"
What does that mean?

Stryfer

Back to top Go down

Post  Nocturnal_Pulse Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:21 pm

Stryfer wrote:Wow, nice song! It's nice that you're learning to move across the entire fretboard Smile Now, if I may make a suggestion in order to show you the value of scales:
Instead of playing all the notes on the A string try: 5th fret on E (instead of the empty A), 3rd fret on A, 4th fret on D (instead of 9th on A), 5th fret on D (instead of 10th on A) and 5th fret on A. This way you could play everything in just one position and it may give you a better overview of the song. Then again, maybe it's better if this song is played entirely on the A, I haven't played it at all...so no idea.

Offspring is a fairly easy band to start out with. You could try Pretty Fly if you're up for a bit of scale movement.
I learned Otherside without counting - I just felt the song right away. However, I've been listening to it for ages because I really love the slide on the bass, it's the first song where I actually noticed the bass. I could only learn the basics of the song, no fancy improvs and the solo gave me hell. Today I laugh at myself when I think of how much trouble I had XD

When you say you have buzzing problems, do you mean just in the other half of the fretboard or in general?

Also, I've seen something similar to this but I don't understand it at all (XD): "visualize the trick, but often lose it"
What does that mean?

I will try it after I get back home, the SoM riff and I will tell ya Razz

As for the otherside, I listen to it since it was fresh, I feel the song love the slide, but I can't do it. So plain lol.

The trick about the Half step, whole step etc, the pattern of the scales!
Nocturnal_Pulse
Nocturnal_Pulse
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Stryfer Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:12 pm

Ahh! That's just a matter of repetition Smile You don't even think about it later. Oh, and don't do too many scales at once, otherwise you will get all confused.

Stryfer

Back to top Go down

Post  Nocturnal_Pulse Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:22 pm

Stryfer wrote:Ahh! That's just a matter of repetition Smile You don't even think about it later. Oh, and don't do too many scales at once, otherwise you will get all confused.

Yup I will stick to the ole classic Cmaj hehe geek
Nocturnal_Pulse
Nocturnal_Pulse
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down