Free Bass guitar lessons

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Free Bass guitar lessons
Free Bass guitar lessons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

a couple of questions

+12
maxf13
Nocturnal_Pulse
Cliff em' all
Pippynip
Stryfer
uglymutt
Fuzzy
BlackF89
akyra
Some freaky guy
SuperMaximo93
MrChuckieRock
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

a couple of questions Empty a couple of questions

Post  MrChuckieRock Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:34 pm

So 1 question i have is about tuning. While reading tabs online or in my white pages book i see some tabs say "Tune in [insert any other tuning besides standard here]". being a new bassist im curious as to how many different types of tuning there actually are and how to read each tune on say, a digital tuner.

another question i have is about using picks. What are the advantages/disadvantages of using a pick? I've tried playing with one and it just makes me feel clumsy and i'll miss a note or 2 when im practicing certain songs that are normally played with a pick.

Any help on either of these 2 questions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
MrChuckieRock
MrChuckieRock

Back to top Go down

a couple of questions Empty Re: a couple of questions

Post  MrChuckieRock Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:37 pm

Scratch the picking question, after going back i found a video on that exact question lol. So any help regarding the tuning would be greatly appreciated
MrChuckieRock
MrChuckieRock

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperMaximo93 Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:39 pm

There are loads of different tunings, but tuning down is most common if you need more low notes and can sacrifce the higher notes. A digital tuner will just read the note as usual, instead of looking for the usual notes on the tuner look for different ones. Drop D is a common tuning, DADG, give that a try
SuperMaximo93
SuperMaximo93

Back to top Go down

Post  MrChuckieRock Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:54 pm

So basically with drop D, im keeping the ADG strings the same, just tuning the E String to sound like the D?
MrChuckieRock
MrChuckieRock

Back to top Go down

Post  Some freaky guy Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:55 pm

So if you want to tune to Drop D you have to make the E string less tense (looser?), making it show up as a D on your tuner.

Edit: Yes, but it's a lower D than the one on your normal D string.
Some freaky guy
Some freaky guy
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  akyra Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:39 pm

I like the sound of DADG *Is learning SOTW - Velvet Revolver - Silther*

and theres also Eb Ab Db Gb My name is Jonas - Weezer is played this way XD

My wee cheap tuner has an option to help tune in this key, They prolly all do XD
akyra
akyra

Back to top Go down

Post  BlackF89 Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:51 pm

BEAD is a common tuning in heavier music as is drop C ;x
BlackF89
BlackF89

Back to top Go down

Post  Fuzzy Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:01 am

There are loads of tunings, I almost never use the standard open E, unless its on my 5 string where I have the low B as well.
My 4 string is in open C# at the moment, my 5 string will probably be drop A# when I get it.
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  uglymutt Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:01 am

I occasionally tune in fifths (CGDA, instead of EADG) like a cello, fun to play like that, never used it in a band situation though.
Use drop D a bit as my guitarist seems to love it....
uglymutt
uglymutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Stryfer Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:38 am

I get a 5 string and play everything in B(H)EADG. It's a pain when trying to play songs which are in drop tuning.
Drop is tuning the E to a D and leaving the rest the same. Your just dropping the E string. However, if it says drop C tuning, then you drop the E into a D and then you tune each string a step lower to end up in CGCF.
What Akyra mentioned is called a flat tuning, i.e. tuning everyhing down half a step.

Also, as for the pick, I know you said you found a video, but let me say this: It's all a matter of personal opinion. Personally, I find no advantages to playing with a pick (I do it all with my fingers), but some people prefer to use a pick so...Whatever suits you.

Stryfer

Back to top Go down

Post  Pippynip Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:36 am

I wonder... are there many songs tuned up half a step or even a whole step? I'd imagine not for popular music because of the poor singers, as quite a few bands have to tune down half a step live anyway to save their voices.

Also, in regards to the pick thing, some people are utter snobs about it. To them, you're not allowed to play bass with a pick. To this day, I have no idea why...
Pippynip
Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Cliff em' all Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:40 am

Pippynip wrote:I wonder... are there many songs tuned up half a step or even a whole step? I'd imagine not for popular music because of the poor singers, as quite a few bands have to tune down half a step live anyway to save their voices.

Also, in regards to the pick thing, some people are utter snobs about it. To them, you're not allowed to play bass with a pick. To this day, I have no idea why...

It's called stupidity.
Cliff em' all
Cliff em' all
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  akyra Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:20 pm

Cliff em' all wrote:
Pippynip wrote:I wonder... are there many songs tuned up half a step or even a whole step? I'd imagine not for popular music because of the poor singers, as quite a few bands have to tune down half a step live anyway to save their voices.

It's called stupidity.

pwned by a 14 year old. Lawlz
akyra
akyra

Back to top Go down

Post  Nocturnal_Pulse Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:45 pm

I really dont like tuning down or up.......!!!!!

Although is very useful, I always had this idea that the strings will get wore out easier tuning all the time... Sad
Nocturnal_Pulse
Nocturnal_Pulse
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  akyra Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:13 pm

I don't think you should worry bout that much. I'm pretty sure your strings won't wear away THAT fast ^^ espeically that big ol' fat E string XD

Who was it .. James Jamerson never changed his strings apparently. scratch

Depends what kinda sound you like, how much you play and ofcourse, the ultimate factor, if you can afford them Razz = how many times you replace them.

New strings are all bright sounding but the older and dirty they get the duller the sound.

I don't like the sound of new strings Sad

... but THEY say changing them every 3 - 6 months is recommended.
akyra
akyra

Back to top Go down

Post  Pippynip Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:47 pm

akyra wrote:
Cliff em' all wrote:

It's called stupidity.

pwned by a 14 year old. Lawlz

Huh? Me pwned, or the bass snobs pwned? I was under the impression Mr. Mega Poster was referring to the snobs being stupid for saying picks are bad, not saying I'm stupid for not knowing a valid reason why they say picks are bad Razz
Pippynip
Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Cliff em' all Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:18 pm

Even though I'd like to pawn you Pip,I was talking for the snobs. Razz
Cliff em' all
Cliff em' all
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Pippynip Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:57 pm

So the only person pwned here is Adolf. Pwned by herself Razz
Pippynip
Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  akyra Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:32 pm

epic fail
akyra
akyra

Back to top Go down

Post  Fuzzy Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:52 am

I second the call for epic fail on Adolf.
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  akyra Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:02 am

Thank for that..

I was having a blonde moment...

I have these quite regulary.. even though im not blonde hahaha
akyra
akyra

Back to top Go down

Post  MrChuckieRock Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:48 am

As far as Half/Whole steps and, say C#, how do you know when you have it tuned right at the right spot if your reading it off of your tuner? Im sure this is an obvious question but of all the books i've read they really dont go in depth when it comes to tuning other than standard.

picking i find pretty odd as a bassist. after some experimentation i learned i can play much better with my fingers than with a pick. plus, finger walking seems more natural to me too.

Thank you everyone for your responses btw Very Happy its really helping me become that much better at playing.
MrChuckieRock
MrChuckieRock

Back to top Go down

Post  akyra Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:32 am

Well what kind of tuner you using?

With mines I press a button to change the tuning I want.. Then when I play the note comes up on the little screen .. and I just tighten or losen the string to get the right note...Theres 3 lights at the top a red a green and another red.. once I get to the right not the green light flashes.
akyra
akyra

Back to top Go down

Post  MrChuckieRock Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:59 pm

yeah mine isnt that fancy lol. it basically just shows normal notes. it wont let me know when i hit Eb Ab Db Gb. it may be time to upgrade my tuner.
MrChuckieRock
MrChuckieRock

Back to top Go down

Post  Cliff em' all Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:24 pm

MrChuckieRock wrote:yeah mine isnt that fancy lol. it basically just shows normal notes. it wont let me know when i hit Eb Ab Db Gb. it may be time to upgrade my tuner.

But that's the whole point of having a tuner right? scratch
Cliff em' all
Cliff em' all
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next