Free Bass guitar lessons

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Free Bass guitar lessons
Free Bass guitar lessons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need help with fretting

+3
Pippynip
akyra
mazathemonster
7 posters

Go down

Need help with fretting Empty Need help with fretting

Post  mazathemonster Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:56 pm

Hi there =)

I'm new, to the forum and to bass. I have a question:

Well I feel really stupid for asking this as it's such a basic thing, but basically I seem to have difficulty with fretting. I'm not sure how much pressure to put on the string. When I was first learning I found it pretty easy with slow riffs, but now that I'm starting to learn faster riffs I find that I'm not putting enough pressure on the string to produce the right sound, yet when I press down too hard it doesn't play the note at all (obviously). I'm having difficulty finding a medium. Any tips/suggestions?

Sorry for the newbie question, but I would appreciate any pointers. Smile

mazathemonster

Back to top Go down

Need help with fretting Empty Re: Need help with fretting

Post  akyra Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:36 pm

You should put your finger as close to the edge of the frets (like at the metal bar) as possible and only apply enough pressure so it doesnt buzz.. So you dont tire yourself out. As you play more and your fingers callus itll be easier to hold the strings down and that'll stop buzzing too Smile

and hello welcome to the forum XD
akyra
akyra

Back to top Go down

Post  Pippynip Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:29 pm

I just pressed the A string, 3rd fret down as hard as I could and the note played fine... Try doing what Adolf said, maybe you won't have to change the pressure you're putting on the string too much. Smile
Pippynip
Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Dropthelines585 Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:15 pm

The only stupid question is one that is never asked. Strength comes with time. I know it's frustrating when you watch other people do what you want to be doing, but give it time, but most importantly practice. Before too long it will become effortless. Remember, it is much more important to play it right than it is to play it fast. Also try exercising your fingers on a stress ball or a finger exercise machine. This will greatly speed up the process. Hope this helps.
Dropthelines585
Dropthelines585
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  mazathemonster Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:26 pm

akyra wrote:You should put your finger as close to the edge of the frets (like at the metal bar) as possible and only apply enough pressure so it doesnt buzz.. So you dont tire yourself out. As you play more and your fingers callus itll be easier to hold the strings down and that'll stop buzzing too Smile

and hello welcome to the forum XD

Hehe, thanks.

See, I've read different descriptions about how I should be fretting.

Some say my fingers should push the side of the string, other said I should have the tip of my finger directly above it. It's tricky knowing who to trust!

So I assume you're saying the first one is correct? Thanks for the advice. Smile

mazathemonster

Back to top Go down

Post  Stryfer Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:02 am

DTL pretty much said the most important thing - strength comes with time.
However, I heard that using those excersize "machines" on your fingers can cause stiffness and you don't want that.

As far how to actually fret, make sure that when you fret the string your whole finger is pressed against the neck, hence muting the strings below the one you're pressing. By pressing I don't mean fretting those strings below, just leaning against them so they are muted.

Speed, like strength will also come with time, once you get used to fretting it will be very simple to play fast lines. Just make sure that you move the fingers of your fretting hand in sync with the fingers of your plucking hand. As for pressure, apply just enough to get a nice tone, but not so much as to strain your finger.
Contrary to popular belief, playing fast doesn't mean putting in more energy and tightning muscles. In order to play fast you need to relax your muscles as much as possible.

Stryfer

Back to top Go down

Post  Pippynip Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:34 am

Stryfer wrote:Contrary to popular belief, playing fast doesn't mean putting in more energy and tightning muscles. In order to play fast you need to relax your muscles as much as possible.

I noticed this. I kept trying to put in too much energy and ended up fretting the note before I plucked the string, which wasn't good at all.
Pippynip
Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Protoplm Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:34 am

Some say my fingers should push the side of the string, other said I should have the tip of my finger directly above it. It's tricky knowing who to trust!

It depends on what you're playing. Most of the time you need to use the pad of your finger. The tips are mainly used when you play guitar not bass. However, when you're playing a line that has alot of harmony in it, you need to use the tips, likewise it's very difficult to get your fingers up and over the strings above.

An example is i'm playing this:

g----------0------------------------------------------------
d------------------------0----------------------------------
a------------------------------------------------------------
d---3-0-2---0-3-0-2-0-5---3-0-2-0-3-0-00-0-2-0-5-XX

In the above song, you're playing the low D string (Drop D tuning) and you play the open G and D between the group of notes. These higher notes ring out while you're playng on the low string. If you were to use the pads of your fingers, you would mute the other strings unless you turn your hand very awkwardly. Using the tips you can hold your fingers up off the fretboard and let the notes ring.. this is why guitar players use the tips of their fingers.

For anyone wondering, the tab is an exert from Tool - Schism
Protoplm
Protoplm

Back to top Go down

Post  Stryfer Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:41 am

Pippynip wrote:I noticed this. I kept trying to put in too much energy and ended up fretting the note before I plucked the string, which wasn't good at all.

Actually, I was aiming at the fact that your muscles cramp up after a few bars. People strain because they think it makes them faster, when in reality they can be just as fast if they are completely relaxed. The former is just wasting energy without any real effect.

What you mentioned is a sync problem, which also needs work to master.

To add, you can fret in any way you want and each way is used at some point depending on what you want. For beginners (and by that I mean people who have been playing for say 2 years or less) it's enough to learn to keep you fingers on the fretboard. Moving them out of the way so notes can ring out is easier later.

Stryfer

Back to top Go down

Post  akyra Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:40 pm

+1
akyra
akyra

Back to top Go down

Post  Dmanlamius Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:51 pm

Lots of good advice here!

Keep at it, and keep on keeping on... Cool