Free Bass guitar lessons

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Free Bass guitar lessons
Free Bass guitar lessons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

So....

+10
SuperMaximo93
willba
Blackdragon
ThreeLetterSyndrom
KrysH
Some freaky guy
BlackF89
Bass Mon
akyra
Dropthelines585
14 posters

Go down

So.... Empty So....

Post  Dropthelines585 Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:16 pm

How's everyone progressing? Just want to know what techniques everyone's been working on. More importantly, what have you learned just by being part of this community?
Dropthelines585
Dropthelines585
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

So.... Empty Re: So....

Post  akyra Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:44 pm

God. Ive learned loads..

I think over the last 3 months Ive learned so much. I think the hardest song I've learned has been Agoraphobia - incubus. but my fave is Flake - Jack Johnson.
I learn some riffs with harmonics and some other lil bits and bobs like setting up my bass (which was from a post on this site).

I've also learned about bassist I never knew of and awesome songs to play from the site as well.

Working on.... Song of the fortnight Cant hurry love and warrick avenue by Duffy ( the chorus is weird)

I wanna start learning some slap and pop. Smaz says he'll teach me when I go visit next week Smile

and I wanna learn how to play from ear.

Infact what I need to work on is remembering, dunno why but I cant seem to contain somes in my brain for very long.. Im guessing all the uni stuff keeps shoving it out haha.

Umm I've learned so much actually, but lets face it... no wonder I am on every day and I do read every post and update. which is actually quite sad now that I think about it...
akyra
akyra

Back to top Go down

Post  Bass Mon Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:22 pm

In the short time I've been here I've learned slap and pop at last and got some help with harmonics which I have been working on. I'm looking forward to learning more as time moves on

Bass Mon

Back to top Go down

Post  BlackF89 Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:42 pm

I haven't learned a new song in weeks, I haven't been practising too much lately due to uni work :/
I really wanna start learning to play by ear. However the bands I'm into at the moment seem to have the bass quite low in the mix, so I'm not quite sure where to start ;o
BlackF89
BlackF89

Back to top Go down

Post  Some freaky guy Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:55 pm

I'm working on my slap precision on different strings, trying to raise my fingering speed a bit and trying to get a camera so I can put some covers on yootoob.
Some freaky guy
Some freaky guy
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  KrysH Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:04 am

Been exhausted from work and pretty low in general so my motivation has been bad, I really need to be strict with myself and set a few goals to be honest.
KrysH
KrysH

Back to top Go down

Post  ThreeLetterSyndrom Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:13 pm

I've learned a lot since I came here. I straightened out my slap and pop, improved hand speed, learnt how to adjust my bass. Great stuff. Razz

Currently, I'm working on sharpening the songs I play with the band, next to Runaway by Jamiroquai. I'm in need of more speed. Razz

ThreeLetterSyndrom
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Some freaky guy Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:55 pm

ThreeLetterSyndrom wrote:I've learned a lot since I came here. I straightened out my slap and pop, improved hand speed, learnt how to adjust my bass. Great stuff. Razz

Currently, I'm working on sharpening the songs I play with the band, next to Runaway by Jamiroquai. I'm in need of more speed. Razz

You should start looking in "abandoned" buildings and back streets at night. You should find someone who can sell you speed quite easily.

Smile
Some freaky guy
Some freaky guy
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Bass Mon Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:58 pm

Some freaky guy wrote:
ThreeLetterSyndrom wrote:I've learned a lot since I came here. I straightened out my slap and pop, improved hand speed, learnt how to adjust my bass. Great stuff. Razz

You should start looking in "abandoned" buildings and back streets at night. You should find someone who can sell you speed quite easily.

Smile
haha lol!

Bass Mon

Back to top Go down

Post  ThreeLetterSyndrom Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:32 pm

Some freaky guy wrote:

Smile
Ans someone who likes to stab me to death as well. Wink

ThreeLetterSyndrom
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Blackdragon Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:36 pm

Since i got here, i picked up a bass a began to play it...

I know scales and some theory from outside here, worked on a few songs with the basic's and im learning tapping now.
Blackdragon
Blackdragon

Back to top Go down

So.... Empty So....

Post  willba Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:52 pm

I was suprised recently when someone said they guessed I would be Grade 5-ish if they didnt know I was self taught Shocked

I asume this was mainly because ive picked up some nice little riffs and play well while jamming with a guitarist. Id say that was due to Dmans lessons that its been very easy to learn techniques and progress quickly.

At the moment I want to challenge myself to difficult lines, especially bass only solos. Oh, and my theory is lacking alot compared to most other aspects of my bass playing. So....thats my aim for the moment. Very Happy
willba
willba
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Blackdragon Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:32 pm

willba wrote:I was suprised recently when someone said they guessed I would be Grade 5-ish if they didnt know I was self taught Shocked
Can you explain that? Going to be honest, i have no idea what that means.
sounds like its a good thing with the rest of your post.

As for me, i was told a sound really good, mind you i also figured out pretty quickly that 9 of every 10 bassists where i live just play root notes. So give it an honest months work into Dmans lessons are better then them.
Blackdragon
Blackdragon

Back to top Go down

So.... Empty So....

Post  willba Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:14 pm

I mean that, (the person who made this comment about me being grade 5) said that if they didnt know me at all, they would asume that a)I have lessons and b)I would be on grade 5.

Just to re-iterate IM NOT GRADE 5 Razz
willba
willba
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperMaximo93 Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:53 pm

Blackdragon wrote:
willba wrote:I was suprised recently when someone said they guessed I would be Grade 5-ish if they didnt know I was self taught Shocked
Can you explain that? Going to be honest, i have no idea what that means.
sounds like its a good thing with the rest of your post.

Grades is a UK (maybe even European?) thing. Basically a level of your musical ability. There are 8 grades in total, that progressively test your technique and theoretical skills.

I borrowed some grade books off a friend... Grade 5 stuff isn't actually hard Razz Even the slap song they have in there is quite simple. But I need to practice improvising for the bass improv/solo parts and the theory bits. I'll probably pay to take an exam when I'm ready I think...

To be honest, Will and many other people here are probably around grade 5 level technique wise at least I reckon

Last edited by SuperMaximo93 on Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
SuperMaximo93
SuperMaximo93

Back to top Go down

Post  maxf13 Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:13 pm

its just england that does it
in continental europe ( which is far superior) no one has heard of it
maxf13
maxf13

Back to top Go down

Post  f8tlbyte Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:15 pm

I've learned tons. Main thing I've learned is keeping time. I was ok about it before but have gotten really good about it as of late. The other biggie is learning how to slap all the strings individually without hitting others. Thanks Kris and everyone else with all the help.
f8tlbyte
f8tlbyte

Back to top Go down

Post  uglymutt Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:35 am

Not much of late due to uni (which i'm supposed to be studying for right now Sad ).
Once the weekend hits i'm going to bring out the bass and have some good times.
uglymutt
uglymutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Rushfan30 Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:30 pm

God, I've learned a lot here. People always answer questions, and help out. Plus you can learn a decent amount just by reading other people's posts.
Right now I'm focusing on a " Spotlight On Students" school day, and the talent show. For spotlight on students I'm playing at least four different songs for Jazz Band, and doing an " Instrument Petting Zoo" ( Kinda weird right? ). Not sure what I'm doing for the talent show, not sure if I'm going solo or going to arrange something with some friends.
Rushfan30
Rushfan30

Back to top Go down

Post  Dropthelines585 Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:54 pm

That sounds fun.

Is this what you mean by petting zoo?

So.... L_9650249ee9ac408684b988b124d8c8d5
Dropthelines585
Dropthelines585
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  maxf13 Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:12 pm

wants
maxf13
maxf13

Back to top Go down

Post  KrysH Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:59 am

Lol - you can tell it's a petting zoo from all the fingermarks lol!
KrysH
KrysH

Back to top Go down

Post  Rushfan30 Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:08 am

Dropthelines585 wrote:That sounds fun.

Is this what you mean by petting zoo?

Kind of lol. Basically I just sit there for a while, and answer questions about bass, show people how to do the basics and what not... should be fun Very Happy
Rushfan30
Rushfan30

Back to top Go down

Post  KrysH Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:41 am

I used to do that with my snake collection.
KrysH
KrysH

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum