Free Bass guitar lessons

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Free Bass guitar lessons
Free Bass guitar lessons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Please have a look at my website - still under construction

+2
Dropthelines585
DubHertz
6 posters

Go down

Please have a look at my website - still under construction Empty Please have a look at my website - still under construction

Post  DubHertz Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:06 pm

Hi everyone, havent been around much lately....busy with work and college and general life etc.

But in the meantime I am in the middle of creating a website... could you take a look and tell me what you think

www.recordingbass.co.uk

MODS/ADMIN: If this is inappropriate please feel free to remove this post.. I will totally understand

DMAN: would it be ok if I put a link you your website(s) on my site?
DubHertz
DubHertz

Back to top Go down

Please have a look at my website - still under construction Empty Re: Please have a look at my website - still under construction

Post  Dropthelines585 Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:46 pm

Very thorough, informative, and easy to understand. This is exactly the kind of website that needs to be a sticky around here. It's clear that you know your stuff.
I used to have the Hartke HA 3500 exactly like that. Is that the VX one?
Dropthelines585
Dropthelines585
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Please have a look at my website - still under construction Empty Re: Please have a look at my website - still under construction

Post  DubHertz Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:52 pm

Hi DTL, thanks for the kind words. Is there anything I need to add or take away?

I just got the Hartke stuff a few weeks ago...a bit of overkill just for studio use but it does record nicely . did you listen to the audio samples? Its the HA3500 head with the VX410 cabinet
DubHertz
DubHertz

Back to top Go down

Post  Dropthelines585 Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:16 am

I just skimmed through mostly, there's a lot of stuff on there. I'll definitely review it more thoroughly when I have some time.

As for the amp, that's the exact setup I had. I really liked it. One thing that stood out is the high quality of the eq and xlr line out. If I still had it, I'd probably put the aluminum cone speakers in it that Hartke is so famous for.
Dropthelines585
Dropthelines585
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  DubHertz Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:46 pm

Dropthelines585 wrote: One thing that stood out is the high quality of the eq and xlr line out.

I agree with you totally but the DI out can get a but hissy if you have the treble up high I dont play slap much so I normally have the treble flat so its not really a problem. The thing I like the most is the TUBE gain, is sounds smooth and deep...on some amps the tube section sounds horrible and distorted, the Hartke sounds sweet. I had an Ashdown ABM and I didnt like the tube sounnd at all
DubHertz
DubHertz

Back to top Go down

Post  Pippynip Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:37 am

I'd put the title as RecordingBass rather than Recordingbass

All the 'Equipment Required' bullet points would look a bit better if they were spaced out a bit more, speaking as someone with very, very limited experience with bass recording (your target audience? Razz) it all looks a bit intimidating as a massive block with dots next to it.

Slight grammar correction in the second paragraph of 'Active Bass Recording': "...individual needs prior to recording; this can save..."

I'm quite busy as well, so I'll go a bit more in-depth later... though all I can really contribute is aesthetic stuff. Still, aesthetics are pretty important. Too important, really.
Pippynip
Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  DubHertz Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:41 am

Thanks Pippynip, this is exactly the type of help and constructive criticism I need. I appreciate you taking the time to have a look and reply.

All of the point you raised have now been amended.

If there is anything else I can do t make it look less intimidating please let me know. Being an electronics engineer and computer guy/geek I sometimes find it difficult to explain technical stuff without being technical lol. But hopefully the simple pictures on the Active and Passive bass recording will help peeps to understand the signal flow

Cheers mate your input is much appreciated
DubHertz
DubHertz

Back to top Go down

Post  Pastichio Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:07 am

Well done. I was considering creating something like this but you beat me to it, probably a good thing Im rather lazy and would have never gotten around to doing it.
Pastichio
Pastichio
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  DubHertz Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:15 am

Thanks Pastichio, the topic of recording bass pops up alot on this forum and other places on the net so I thought I would try to address it. But if you have any tips or tricks to add feel free to share and I will add them to the site.

BTW if people would click on the +1 button on each page I would be grateful Smile
DubHertz
DubHertz

Back to top Go down

Post  DubHertz Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:31 pm

Just a quick update I have added a new section called "Advanced Recording" to the site, and a new page in that section "attempting" to explain phase issues. please let me know if it makes sense.

Advanced eq and compression pages coming soon.

thanks for looking guys
DubHertz
DubHertz

Back to top Go down

Post  Smaz Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:09 pm

DubHertz wrote:MODS/ADMIN: If this is inappropriate please feel free to remove this post.. I will totally understand

Not at all... Thanks for sharing with everyone!

Dropthelines585 wrote:This is exactly the kind of website that needs to be a sticky around here.

This man is correct. Don't think it belongs here in general chat, so I've added it to gear chat:

https://freebasslessons.forumotion.com/t1883-http-wwwrecordingbasscouk-dubhertz-recording-resource

king
Smaz
Smaz

Back to top Go down

Post  Pippynip Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:53 pm

In the 'Types of Bass Guitar' section, I can't read any of the writing in the pictures. Am I supposed to be able to?

Also...

3 - The bass has active pickups and a built in preamplifier. The battery supplies power to both the pickups and the built-in preamplifier. The diagram below (Fig.2) shows the internal wiring of an active bass guitar. This bass has active pickups but doesnt have a seperate active preamplifier.

might look better...

3 - The bass has active pickups and a built in preamplifier. The battery supplies power to both the pickups and the built-in preamplifier.

The diagram below (Fig.2) shows the internal wiring of a category 1 active bass guitar.

like that. Especially since cutting out that last sentence automatically corrects the only spelling error on the page Very Happy (I hope I've understood it correctly, and that is indeed a diagram showing the internal wiring of an active bass guitar like one you describe in category 1 Razz)

It might be worth making clear what the line level input is. I know that on my computer it's the socket with a blue ring around it, but AFAIK not all sockets have the coloured rings around them.

Warning, active basses

would probably look better like

WARNING - active basses

Right, now the new phasing thing...

"What is phasing? - When you record an instrument - such as bass guitar - using more than one source, you can run into problems"

"certain notes or frequencies; in extreme cases the the sum of the two recordings"

Ignoring those minor things, that first paragraph makes complete sense. I have learned something new and I didn't even have to think about it Very Happy

Now, the rest... I only see two spelling errors. There are a few grammatical ones, but I'll leave 'em alone because the hour's gettin' on.

"delays caused by the signal being increased"

Then, on the last paragraph before the pretty pictures...

"track to see the timing differences"

Now about whether it's easy to understand... Mostly. I understand why the problem occurs (a tiny, tiny time difference between the recordings due to the terrible ordeal the signal goes through on its journey to the DAW) and I understand how to fix it due to the easy to understand 'nudge' bit, but that 'hardware digital delay inline whatsit' stuff went way over my head Razz I know now that it's just the techie way of saying what goes on when you 'nudge', but I'd suggest putting all that at the end to avoid overwhelming-ness.

Edit: Oh by the way, I have a friend who's kinda new to bass (though he's progressing scarily fast) and is going to be helping someone record an EP soon - I imagine he exactly represents your target audience, so I'll give him the link to your website and see what he thinks.
Pippynip
Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  DubHertz Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:00 pm

Hi Pippynip, thanks for taking the time to look at the site.

I will take a look at the pictures in the bass guitar section

One of the things I was worried about was whether or not newbies would understand it while making it comprehensive enough to prevent flaming from pro's

Most of the changes have been made apart form the line input description - i might add this to the audio interface page.

your input is greatly appreciated
DubHertz
DubHertz

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:40 pm

Very good man, and some great points above!

The link thing would be great (I'll link you on learn bass).

Keep up the good work!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DubHertz Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:48 pm

Also just added http://learnbass.net to the bass guitar resources page.

Cheers

Dman
DubHertz
DubHertz

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down