Free Bass guitar lessons

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Free Bass guitar lessons
Free Bass guitar lessons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forums scare me!

+7
Guzco
SuperMaximo93
Protoplm
LB2HC
Pastichio
danthewelshy
Dmanlamius
11 posters

Go down

Forums scare me! Empty Forums scare me!

Post  Dmanlamius Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:10 pm

What do you guys think of my new blog post?

I'm sure it'll annoy the purists! (again)

Opinions, eh?
Dmanlamius
Dmanlamius

Back to top Go down

Forums scare me! Empty Re: Forums scare me!

Post  danthewelshy Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:31 pm

i've had this sort of chat with you before in IRC so you know i agree with what your saying.

Other problems with things such as basschat and talkbass is they don't realise some people are not made of money and when asking for things such as cheap but good way to record etc all they do is provide you with the most expensive things on the market.
danthewelshy
danthewelshy

Back to top Go down

Post  Pastichio Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:36 pm

danthewelshy wrote:i've had this sort of chat with you before in IRC so you know i agree with what your saying.

Other problems with things such as basschat and talkbass is they don't realise some people are not made of money and when asking for things such as cheap but good way to record etc all they do is provide you with the most expensive things on the market.

If you are looking for a cheap good way to record then I suggest getting Cubase LE and buying one of these Focusrite Saffire which actually comes with Cubase LE. Its def worth it and it won't break the bank and you can record yourself by just plugging directly from your bass to the saffire. This version of Cubase is a stripped down version of the more professional version, but if your only interested in recording yourself jamming andmaybe adding drums and guitar or whatever, then u can't go wrong.

I read your blog Dman, you have a very valid point. I used to spend alot of time around production forums and its the same kind of thing, lots of people with opposing ideas on how to do something and acting like their idea is the beginning and end of it. I become frustrated with forums when it gets like that.
Pastichio
Pastichio
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  danthewelshy Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:50 pm

Pastichio wrote:
danthewelshy wrote:i've had this sort of chat with you before in IRC so you know i agree with what your saying.

If you are looking for a cheap good way to record then I suggest getting Cubase LE and buying one of these Focusrite Saffire which actually comes with Cubase LE. Its def worth it and it won't break the bank and you can record yourself by just plugging directly from your bass to the saffire. This version of Cubase is a stripped down version of the more professional version, but if your only interested in recording yourself jamming andmaybe adding drums and guitar or whatever, then u can't go wrong.

Im not lol Razz

I just see that type of thing alot on there
danthewelshy
danthewelshy

Back to top Go down

Post  LB2HC Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:17 pm

You want to be careful, you might get nailed to a cross for asking people to be nice to each other.

Forums allow 'simple' people to be anti social because they can't get thumped for saying stupid things. It's not just bass forums of course, trouble is a few bad posters can 'down' a good forum and put people off from visiting.

All good fun - hey new smilies! jocolor clown cat Razz
LB2HC
LB2HC

Back to top Go down

Post  Dmanlamius Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:41 pm

Eek!

I don't think anyones actually read the blog post at all, but commented anyway Very Happy

One fella just told me to F*** off in a roundabout way! affraid

Kinda proves what i'm saying...

alien
Dmanlamius
Dmanlamius

Back to top Go down

Post  danthewelshy Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:58 pm

Dmanlamius wrote:Eek!

I don't think anyones actually read the blog post at all, but commented anyway Very Happy

alien

yeah i saw that on talkbass lol!

things never change on there
danthewelshy
danthewelshy

Back to top Go down

Post  LB2HC Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:31 pm

Dmanlamius wrote:Eek!

alien

Sheesh! What did you expect, everyone to agree with you? I did read your blog.

That's like putting a sign up saying "WET PAINT", someone's going to see if it really is.

More lessons please, less philosophizing. geek Cool
LB2HC
LB2HC

Back to top Go down

Post  Dmanlamius Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:17 pm

Ah! It was a mis-understanding....

It's not really philosophy. I've had a lot of online students come to me, drained and a bit upset because they have been patronized on bass forums. Not only talkbass.

Some enough to consider giving up.

My posts like this are constructed to support.

Wink
Dmanlamius
Dmanlamius

Back to top Go down

Post  Pastichio Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:08 pm

I think the problem with some people on forums, and mostly music forums which revolve around a skill like playing bass, guitar or technical aspects of production they can get inflated egos about their own skills. They reach a high skill level and then lord it over people that don't or who are just starting out. I've seen people ripped to shreds for being 'noobs' and no tolerance shown to those that are just starting out. I've left forums where this kind of thing became the norm. It's a shame because I honestly believe in passing knowledge on to others and learning from others that know more than I do. It's horrible to think of people being put off playing their instrument because of other people with more skill patronizing them. To anybody that has considering giving up because of the ignorance of others, don't there are many people out there willing to help and encourage.
Pastichio
Pastichio
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Dmanlamius Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:21 pm

Pastichio wrote:I think the problem with some people on forums, and mostly music forums which revolve around a skill like playing bass, guitar or technical aspects of production they can get inflated egos about their own skills. They reach a high skill level and then lord it over people that don't or who are just starting out. I've seen people ripped to shreds for being 'noobs' and no tolerance shown to those that are just starting out. I've left forums where this kind of thing became the norm. It's a shame because I honestly believe in passing knowledge on to others and learning from others that know more than I do. It's horrible to think of people being put off playing their instrument because of other people with more skill patronizing them. To anybody that has considering giving up because of the ignorance of others, don't there are many people out there willing to help and encourage.

Yea man, that is my point exactly!

No one has the right to be arrogant about this. That's something I've never understood. No-one is re-inventing the wheel here. Everything has been done before. No new notes will be found. No new chords...

No-one has a right to be arrogant.

But they do.
Dmanlamius
Dmanlamius

Back to top Go down

Post  Protoplm Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:49 pm

Sad, sad story, you find similar events on just about anything that deals with a skill. It's exactly like Pastichio said. I was put off of the yo-yoing community because people were just mean.. The same for bass till I found this place >>.

You're a bass player! It's your job to chill, why the hate.
Protoplm
Protoplm

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperMaximo93 Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:00 pm

Ironically, it was because of Talkbass that I found Dman XD I see where you're coming from though. TB is much better than the Ultimate Guitar forum (bass section of course Razz), however; I swear half the people there post for the sake of posting, like its pretty common to see a few posts in a help topic saying exactly the same thing as someone else, but squashed into 3 words...
SuperMaximo93
SuperMaximo93

Back to top Go down

Post  Guzco Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:42 pm

Its just people on the internet, you can't take it seriously. Too many times have I seen people get upset or take things too seriously of what people post on a forum. Another big one is when people completely criticize people's bass playing videos, rather than giving constructing criticism, and the person who made the video takes it too seriously and gets angry.

It's the internet, people can write all the bad things they want (often to try and make themselves feel better).

By the way, I just found a new sig compliments of dman Very Happy
Edit: but it's not showing up =[
Guzco
Guzco

Back to top Go down

Post  Dmanlamius Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:14 pm

Very wise words my friend!

Oh, go to "profile", then to preferences, and allow siganture.

Smile
Dmanlamius
Dmanlamius

Back to top Go down

Post  Smaz Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:21 pm

The day I can manage to make a sarcastic post on a youtube video & / or internet forum & not have it taken seriously is the day I win & can leave the internet for good geek

I completely agree - it's not just anything skill related, but it's anything where an opinion is given that it can turn into IM RITE UR WRONG HAHA MY MUM SAIS IM SPECIAL!!1! kinda thing. And when it's something skill related, it can put people off completely - to the point where it could put people down & upset. Unless the person has specifically brought it upon themselves (I saw a video once of some guy sticking his finger up & saying "Up yours, wankers", then playing butchering a Less Than Jake bassline to show that he could actually play bass. It was shocking... Had he put that up asking for comments, I'd have pointed him in the right direction.), then there's just no need for it. That's why I like this place... If I was to see any of that happening here, I'd be bringing my admin powers down quicker than Wooten can double thump a major scale.

The best way to learn anything is to learn from people better & more experienced than you. But when the people you look up to look down upon you, that's a sad state of affairs.

king
Smaz
Smaz

Back to top Go down

Post  danthewelshy Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:24 pm

Smaz wrote: I'd be bringing my admin powers down quicker than Wooten can double thump a major scale.

king

If you were still in school your english teacher would be proud of that, is it a similie or something lol?
danthewelshy
danthewelshy

Back to top Go down

Post  Dmanlamius Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:46 pm

Ha ha, brilliant, Smaz!

I think that's an important ethos that we should maintain here. You guys all know my attitudes to teaching, and building confidence, and that is something that is important to me.

This forum and what I do will hopefully always be a good springboard for people, that will then go onto peeps like Marlowe (although I'm considering "intermediate" stuff right now. Just want to go about it in a way that isn't the same as anyone else, coz I don't want to step on peoples toes)

I must be blessed to have you guys join this forum at this early stage. I'm really proud. And i'm chuffed to bits that I found a great energetic and forward thinking admin in Smaz.

The future looks good...

cheers
Dmanlamius
Dmanlamius

Back to top Go down

Post  Fuzzy Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:44 am

Yeah i agree aswell (surprise)
Some people have their head so far up their arse that they think they know everything and what their view on something is always the definitive answer, but really they're only the "Wise One" of their own colon.
They also smell a little funny.. you can smell the bullshit from a mile away.
lol!
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Drakon7 Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:49 am

"Dude, wipe your chin, you're dribbling bullshit" - Something my dad said once =P

The internet reminds me of concerts. Youre always gunna get those people who are there just cause. They dont want to be there and dont care for anything happening, so they just mock you and pretend that theyre better. and really, the only thing you can do is talk smack back. Which gets you a reputation, good or bad depending how you go about it.

Reminds me of 2 times in particular.

1. when I was at the Bleeding Through concert. Someone shouted out halfway through a song "You suck" so the band stopped completely. And the lead singer just went "Well, Youre fat!" and kept on going!
Everyone laughed. it was a good night.

Then there was the time at the Marilyn Manson concert, which I think we can all remember, when someone threw a bottle at the bassist, and got him in the head. If you dont remember that, youtube it. That guy in the crowd gets OWNED.

This, in compilation with all the people on youtube etc who fight back when they're put down. Are my point =D
Drakon7
Drakon7

Back to top Go down

Post  Dropthelines585 Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:40 pm

You have to be open minded about learning anything in life. If you just look down on those that may be less experienced, you've learned nothing from them. You can learn from ANYONE, not just a teacher or veteran musician. It's sometimes good to get another tidbit of information even if you just observe something you've never tried yourself. It breaks your old routine. If you've been playing forever, sometimes it's good to try something that will take your learning patterns in a different direction. That way you don't get worn out on what you're already doing. That's why I try to be so diverse in my playing styles. You can transfer something you learn about Jazz straight to your metal songs and so forth. Being a douche does not teach you anything is what I'm getting at.
Dropthelines585
Dropthelines585
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Dmanlamius Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:45 am

Dropthelines585 wrote:You have to be open minded about learning anything in life. If you just look down on those that may be less experienced, you've learned nothing from them. You can learn from ANYONE, not just a teacher or veteran musician. It's sometimes good to get another tidbit of information even if you just observe something you've never tried yourself. It breaks your old routine. If you've been playing forever, sometimes it's good to try something that will take your learning patterns in a different direction. That way you don't get worn out on what you're already doing. That's why I try to be so diverse in my playing styles. You can transfer something you learn about Jazz straight to your metal songs and so forth. Being a douche does not teach you anything is what I'm getting at.

Yea man, you hit the nail on the head there!

I learnt the most when I started teaching.
Dmanlamius
Dmanlamius

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down