Free Bass guitar lessons

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Free Bass guitar lessons
Free Bass guitar lessons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Metallic sound with new strings?

+6
Pastichio
uglymutt
Fuzzy
maxf13
Drakon7
Guzco
10 posters

Go down

Metallic sound with new strings? Empty Metallic sound with new strings?

Post  Guzco Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:46 pm

I replaced my stock strings with some ernie ball strings. There is a very metallic sound that I'm hearing t that I don't really like. Does this go away?
Guzco
Guzco

Back to top Go down

Metallic sound with new strings? Empty Re: Metallic sound with new strings?

Post  Drakon7 Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:08 pm

Sadly, yes it goes away

I love that sound <3

lol. I love the TWANG of new strings.
Drakon7
Drakon7

Back to top Go down

Post  maxf13 Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:19 pm

yes
i have found that with new roundwound strings, they sound very edgy and twangy for the first few weeks.
thats sounds quite cool for slapping and popping but its really annoying for anything else.
id say it goes away after about a month or so. in the mean time just play with ur fingers instead of using a pick (if u use one)
what also helps (in my case) especially if your bass has active electronics is to turn down the treble and boost the bass.
also if you have two pickups, use the neck one as it sounds rounder and more mellow and kind works against the mettalic sound of the strings.
the more u play the new strings the quicker they will get that "played in" sound that roundwounds have.
also slapping and popping will make ur strings sound played in a lot faster
maxf13
maxf13

Back to top Go down

Post  Guzco Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:37 pm

maxf13 wrote:yes
i have found that with new roundwound strings, they sound very edgy and twangy for the first few weeks.
thats sounds quite cool for slapping and popping but its really annoying for anything else.
id say it goes away after about a month or so. in the mean time just play with ur fingers instead of using a pick (if u use one)
what also helps (in my case) especially if your bass has active electronics is to turn down the treble and boost the bass.
also if you have two pickups, use the neck one as it sounds rounder and more mellow and kind works against the mettalic sound of the strings.
the more u play the new strings the quicker they will get that "played in" sound that roundwounds have.
also slapping and popping will make ur strings sound played in a lot faster

Oh great, thanks. I did notice too that it does sound pretty cool with slap and pop but that's about it. I rarely use a pick but yeah, when I tried it, it's pretty bad for now.

Very Happy
Guzco
Guzco

Back to top Go down

Post  Fuzzy Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:21 am

Most of the "TWANG" will go after maybe a week, if you play it a couple of hours a day.
Give them time to settle and get a little oil and dirt from your hands into them and they'll sound juuuust right Wink
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  uglymutt Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:13 am

After changing my strings after a year of having the stock strings on my bass I'm kinda digging the bright sound, I'm kinda scared the 'twang' will go away too quickly with the way i play.
uglymutt
uglymutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Pastichio Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:21 am

uglymutt wrote:After changing my strings after a year of having the stock strings on my bass I'm kinda digging the bright sound, I'm kinda scared the 'twang' will go away too quickly with the way i play.

Just spend all your money on stocks of strings lol
Pastichio
Pastichio
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperMaximo93 Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:50 pm

uglymutt wrote:After changing my strings after a year of having the stock strings on my bass I'm kinda digging the bright sound, I'm kinda scared the 'twang' will go away too quickly with the way i play.

Wiping down your strings with a dry cloth or sommink tends to help after playing
SuperMaximo93
SuperMaximo93

Back to top Go down

Post  Pastichio Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:01 pm

SuperMaximo93 wrote:

Wiping down your strings with a dry cloth or sommink tends to help after playing

yea and having really clean hands before you play.
Pastichio
Pastichio
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Metallic sound with new strings? Empty Metallic sound with new strings?

Post  willba Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:41 pm

Yeah I always wash my hands before playing, and every few weeks i get a dry cloth and clean it up = D
willba
willba
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Stryfer Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:16 am

I clean my strings with a dry cloth after every session. Also I keep my hands clean while I play.

I love that new string sound, thankfully if you boost your mids and high mids you can keep sounding like that about an extra week. While it is good for slapping I find that finger picking ala Steve Harris also works. It's basicly slapping with your fingers. Try it Smile

Stryfer

Back to top Go down

Post  Pippynip Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:23 am

I wonder if there's an effect out there that replicates the twang?
Pippynip
Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down