Free Bass guitar lessons

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Free Bass guitar lessons
Free Bass guitar lessons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Carol Kaye thrown out of studio

3 posters

Go down

Carol Kaye thrown out of studio Empty Carol Kaye thrown out of studio

Post  Rik Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:26 pm

Saw a small documentary yesterday about Carol Kaye . It's astounding to realize noone has ever even heard of her ( let alone acknowledged what she did for pop/rock ) , but what was worse is that the studio where she worked for decades refused her access - she was treated as a trespasser - when she wanted to take a tv-crew on a little tour of the studio .

I really hate it when musicians don't get credit for their work and this is a prime example .

Check out which classic bass lines Kaye "invented " .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carol_Kaye

Some of those are part of our collective musical memory .

you can see that small documentary here ( forward to about 35 minutes into the episode ) :

http://player.omroep.nl/?aflID=10459962

Rik

Back to top Go down

Carol Kaye thrown out of studio Empty Re: Carol Kaye thrown out of studio

Post  danthewelshy Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:32 pm

Rik wrote:Saw a small documentary yesterday about Carol Kaye . It's astounding to realize noone has ever even heard of her ( let alone acknowledged what she did for pop/rock ) , but what was worse is that the studio where she worked for decades refused her access - she was treated as a trespasser - when she wanted to take a tv-crew on a little tour of the studio .

I really hate it when musicians don't get credit for their work and this is a prime example .

Check out which classic bass lines Kaye "invented " .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carol_Kaye

Some of those are part of our collective musical memory .

you can see that small documentary here ( forward to about 35 minutes into the episode ) :

http://player.omroep.nl/?aflID=10459962

I'd imagine anyone who has heard of jamerson and knows what style of music he played will know Kaye and the lies/truths she has put into the open.

http://rateyourmusic.com/board_message/message_id_is_1307107
danthewelshy
danthewelshy

Back to top Go down

Post  Rik Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:01 pm

I wasn't aware of that. However: there's no excuse for the studio refusing her access ( even if she played on only half those tracks ) . Regardless of the controversy , even the critics acknowledge her importance, as seen in the thread you linked to .

That thread ends on a rather crappy argument as well. Someone who didn't read the wiki-article on Purdie correctly ,claims he's saying he "substituted " Ringo Starr on the 1st Beatles album while the article on the wiki clearly states he added fills to Ringo's drums ( something else entirely ) . Folks can distort an article on the wiki even( purdie doesn't claim he substituted Ringo) :

Later Bernard Purdie added overdubs to tracks from these sessions,[8] including "Ain't She Sweet", "Take Out Some Insurance on Me Baby" and "Sweet Georgia Brown".[9] The main reason for this was to give them a punchier sound for the US market.

Rik

Back to top Go down

Post  Blackdragon Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:00 pm

Rik wrote:That thread ends on a rather crappy argument as well. Someone who didn't read the wiki-article on Purdie correctly ,claims he's saying he "substituted " Ringo Starr on the 1st Beatles album while the article on the wiki clearly states he added fills to Ringo's drums ( something else entirely ) . Folks can distort an article on the wiki even( purdie doesn't claim he substituted Ringo) :

Later Bernard Purdie added overdubs to tracks from these sessions,[8] including "Ain't She Sweet", "Take Out Some Insurance on Me Baby" and "Sweet Georgia Brown".[9] The main reason for this was to give them a punchier sound for the US market.

No offence but the wiki is a crapy source anyway, i could change the wiki to say the beatles craped their pants during their first gig.
I don't think anyone should be referancing the wiki here, it may be true but its still better to use a more trustful source.
Blackdragon
Blackdragon

Back to top Go down

Post  Rik Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:09 pm

true, but I didn't link to the wiki.The guy saying Purdie claimed he drummed on the Beatles -album used WIKI as his reference. He just didn't read the wiki article correctly ( besides : it is a known fact and even acknowledged by the Beatles themselves they had lots of "guest " musisicians on their first recordings , there's no conspiracy there Smile ) . But in general the Internet isn't the most reliable source for information , I agree with that ( although in cases like trying to learn something, in this case the bass , it is invaluable ) .

But is there a more reliable list which tracks Kaye did play on? I just saw two of the most famous bass lines and was astounded noone knew who she was,except bass players ( "good vibrations "and "these boots are made for walking " , everyone can hum those bass lines ) and was also totally amazed a studio - those are supposed to be pros - wouldn't know who she was and refuse her access.

And the Beatles probably did crap their pants during their first gig Smile

Rik

Back to top Go down

Post  Blackdragon Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:38 pm

I'm sorry for the mistake, i just saw that your post had a link to the wiki and Dan did not - so i assumed you were useing the wiki.
I assume the page Dan posted state's in it the wiki is a source then.

I don't realy care to read it becuase my postion is both are/were great bassists, after that i don't care who claims what.
Blackdragon
Blackdragon

Back to top Go down

Post  Rik Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:08 pm

My thoughts exactly. I was just amazed at:
- noone knows these folks ( except knowledgable folks ,i.e. other bass players )
- the studio where they ( in this case Kay) recorded some of those best selling tracks refuses them access.

the latter point is inexcusable I feel.

Rik

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down