Free Bass guitar lessons

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Free Bass guitar lessons
Free Bass guitar lessons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Webcams

+7
maxf13
Guzco
DubHertz
BlackF89
Pippynip
SuperMaximo93
willba
11 posters

Go down

Webcams Empty Webcams

Post  willba Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:21 pm

Im thinking of buying a webcam as I really want to record some covers of songs and therefore be able to contribute to the forum more, eg use the SOTW challenge thingie. Any makes I should try/avoid? Sound quality is the main factor im considering, not intending to pay much, just whatever I can get for the money, £25 max.

Thanks in advance. cherry
willba
willba
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Webcams Empty Re: Webcams

Post  SuperMaximo93 Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:24 pm

I dunno much about webcams, but I do know that http://www.ebuyer.com is a great place to buy computer stuff, including webcams.

BTW, shouldn't this thread be in the Off Topic forum? I'll move it there if you want...
SuperMaximo93
SuperMaximo93

Back to top Go down

Post  Pippynip Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:52 pm

I imagine this thread is for discussing the best webcam to use for bass recordings, so I don't think it should be in off topic Smile

Anyway I have a Logitech Quickcam Pro 4000, and I do not recommend it. Video quality was great for a few months, but declined horribly and is now no better than a mobile phone. Sound quality... I tried recording me doing the Orion bass solo, but it was almost completely inaudible, even with the mic volume turned all the way up and amp 3/4ths of the way up. The sound quality is excellent for speaking though, so I imagine it's a frequency thing.

If you're after sound quality, you probably want a proper camcorder or something. I don't really know much about camcorders and stuff, but I'm sure someone here does Smile

(edit: oh yeah, forgot about the price thing, yeah camcorders and stuff tend to be in the £100s...)
Pippynip
Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  BlackF89 Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:19 pm

Any webcam should do for recording visual stuff but i'd get a korg thingy or a guitar port (what i use) to record audio for better quality x]
BlackF89
BlackF89

Back to top Go down

Post  DubHertz Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:20 pm

I find the best webcms are either camcorders or digital cameras that have webcam functions
DubHertz
DubHertz

Back to top Go down

Post  Guzco Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:10 pm

The best thing to do is to record the sound of your bass straight into the computer, not through the webcam.
Guzco
Guzco

Back to top Go down

Post  maxf13 Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:32 pm

my advice
any old webcam will do for visual
and then plug the line out or headphone socket from ur amp into ur mic in on ur pc and use this program http://www.reaper.fm/
to record
then combine audio and video in windows movie maker or the mac equivalent
maxf13
maxf13

Back to top Go down

Webcams Empty Webcams

Post  willba Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:46 pm

Using what cable? and will my pc have a mic?
willba
willba
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  maxf13 Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:12 pm

u should be able to get a mini jack to mini jack cable Webcams BCMJMJXX02

if u have a monitor with speakers a cable like that should have been dellivered with it
if not its like $5 £3 over the internet

if ur pc has a sound card then it should have a mic in
it should be pink and at the back of ur pc/mac
maxf13
maxf13

Back to top Go down

Webcams Empty Webcams

Post  willba Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:35 pm

My monitor doesnt have speakers and bear in mind my amp is probably 15+years old and I dont think it has any inputs that small Sad
willba
willba
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  maxf13 Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:38 pm

u need a jack to mini jack adapter for the amp bit

so its headphone out-jack adapter-mini jack cable-pc mic input
maxf13
maxf13

Back to top Go down

Webcams Empty Webcams

Post  willba Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:46 pm

oke doke ill look into it, cheers
willba
willba
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Spoon Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:08 pm

willba wrote:My monitor doesnt have speakers and bear in mind my amp is probably 15+years old and I dont think it has any inputs that small Sad

most if not all amps have full sized input (about 1 inch in length)
Spoon
Spoon

Back to top Go down

Webcams Empty Webcams

Post  willba Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:33 pm

Yes, I have that, but not one small enough to fit the cable on the pic max posted
willba
willba
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Spoon Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:57 pm

If you buy a pair of cans for like £15 (sienhiser 201s are a good example) most come with an adaptor for the 1/4" jack --> 1" jack. as I say my sienhiser ones did, but my skullcandy ones didn't =/
Spoon
Spoon

Back to top Go down

Post  Spoon Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:58 pm

PS I dont use a male to male 1/4" jack like that. I use stealth plug USB, its good its a USB device that works very well comes with some nice effect/ amp/ cab software aswell, highly recomended. Just its a little steep.
Spoon
Spoon

Back to top Go down

Post  Fuzzy Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:21 am

Make sure you use the line in on your pc, not mic in.
I've heard the Vox Bass AmPlug can be used for recording, its a little amp with a headphone out so you can play on the go.
Apparently the headphone out is so weak though - because it's battery operated - that the electricity running through the output doesn't mess with your recordings.

Webcams Amplug10

Here's a vid of some guy just using the amplug plugged into his bass, then the headphone out on it going into his line in on his pc's sound card.

Fuzzy
Fuzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  FranR Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:37 am

maxf13 wrote:my advice
any old webcam will do for visual
and then plug the line out or headphone socket from ur amp into ur mic in on ur pc and use this program http://www.reaper.fm/
to record
then combine audio and video in windows movie maker or the mac equivalent

Ooohh good tip! I'll have to see if I can get the proper thingies for it. Yeah I'll go to my music or hif-fi store and ask a thingy for my thingy so I can record my thingy. Rolling Eyes
FranR
FranR

Back to top Go down

Post  BassistMcKay Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:28 pm

I just set up my camcorder. sit by bass off to the side to avoid a lot of the 'fuzzy' noise and jam away. I need to upgrade to recording to the computer, but gonna have to wait until my tax returns come in Sad
BassistMcKay
BassistMcKay

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum