Free Bass guitar lessons

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Free Bass guitar lessons
Free Bass guitar lessons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hello from the Netherlands

+9
akyra
Cliff em' all
Fuzzy
Dropthelines585
Stryfer
BlackF89
SuperMaximo93
Dmanlamius
FranR
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Hello from the Netherlands Empty Hello from the Netherlands

Post  FranR Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:07 pm

I stumbled upon dman's lair through youtube and it's the first time I actually have seen a warming up exercise for guitar players! I left a comment on his website and started to follow his lessons and now I can't wait for the end of the month so I can spent some of my monies on his premium stuff.

I also got started on the slab lessons, then I saw the jam along series and thought hey cool; maybe I can try and jam along as well and begin uploading some stuff to youtube. I've subscribed to youtube since 2007, but never dared to upload something. I probably will upload private vids first so if you read this and you know how to reply to my vid constructively by all means add me as your friend.

My nick on youtube is Fr4nR (FranR was taken >.<). I have no vids yet, but will upload them after I get my webcam installed properly. Friends started to call me Fran so I kept it as part of my online nickname.

I'm very much a beginner - and have tried to find teachers localy but they're either too expensive (like €50+ per half hour) or have 1+ year waitinglists >.< so I had to find an alternative. This website really looks like the place for me to be.

I started playing last year after the summer - with a break in nov/december due to illness so basically I only play since a few months.

I also play in a cover band with other beginning amateurs and we had a few gigs - but we play for fun and tips - they're not paying or paying well. Besides we're not nearly good enough to even ask for something. It's good practice though; and it gets our name around. We even got into the newspapers a few times so that was a cool experience as well.

Originally I'm a drummer, but been out of the loop for 15 years so I found I was incredibly rusty - and the independence was as good as gone but I'm trying to practice often and brush up on technique.

I also play a tiny bit on guitar and piano; but they're very limited and I only play when I have time left after practice.

I've a Thunder drumkit, but they don't make them anymore - they now only make percussion instruments. It's been with me since 92, then in 2000 I lost it after going abroad (it was stored at my mom's house and she donated it to a church). Last year I got it back and picked up drumming again. Then joined the band; and when the bassist dropped out I asked if I could play in his stead. See at some places the location was too small to fit a drumkit and then I played guitar but I liked the bass better (guess because I enjoy being rhythmically) so I traded my SX elec/acoustic guitar for a Schecter Custom 4 and been playing bass most of the times.

Anyways, thanks for reading - and Kris thanks for those free lessons; it means so much to me. Whenever I get bored of practicing scales, intervals or other kinds of exercises I go to your website and pick a lesson just to have some fun with the bass too (like learning simple baselines and play along with songs)

Fran
FranR
FranR

Back to top Go down

Hello from the Netherlands Empty Re: Hello from the Netherlands

Post  Dmanlamius Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:16 pm

Awesome! Welcome to the forums, Fran!

Thanks for the kind words. I really appreciate it when people take the time out to say what they like. Makes me feel like i'm doing something right!

You'll find a lot of friendly fellow bass players around these parts. They are great and helpful people. I'm proud to be part of this forum, myself! (although some are a bit crazy....well...I say "some"....I mean "most"....ha ha! Oh..and don't feed the troll!)

I hope you enjoy your time here, and get even more out of your learning.

Very Happy
Dmanlamius
Dmanlamius

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperMaximo93 Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:45 pm

Welcome to the forum Fran! As Dman says, most of us are kinda crazy... We don't bite though Razz
SuperMaximo93
SuperMaximo93

Back to top Go down

Post  BlackF89 Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:50 pm

Welcome to the forum, don't be affraid to stay active on here xD
BlackF89
BlackF89

Back to top Go down

Post  Stryfer Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:53 pm

Welcome Very Happy

And guys, I think you just scared her XD

Stryfer

Back to top Go down

Post  FranR Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:26 pm

Wow what a welcome! Thanks guys, and yes I'll be active for sure!

Once I get my webcam set up I'll be bugging you all on how the heck I'm going to get that uploaded to youtube, or maybe my own website that I have neglected badly due to catching the bass bug.

If I do it will be on my www.franime.com webby. Maybe that's a bit saver for me - youtubers can be cruel and me being a HSP (Highly Sensitive Person); that's not good.

If you have a suggestion on how to tackle this please let me know! Or a thread stucky or what not.
FranR
FranR

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperMaximo93 Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:31 pm

Hmm... Maybe disable comments when you upload a vid to Youtube? That way everybody who wants to comment can comment on the forum and won't flame or anything cause we're all nice people here Smile
SuperMaximo93
SuperMaximo93

Back to top Go down

Post  FranR Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:37 pm

Hmmmmmmm ....

Think I'll start videoing something silly like my bass and guitar and upload it as a test so that I can figure out how to disable/enable stuff and get my bearings.
FranR
FranR

Back to top Go down

Post  Dropthelines585 Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:42 pm

Welcome. And for god's sake don't feed the troll.
Dropthelines585
Dropthelines585
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Fuzzy Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:36 am

Welcome!
Stick around, it's kinda fun around here sometimes.
Razz
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  FranR Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:23 am

Thanks, and yeah this looks like a cool place Smile

A small update: I've got caught up a bit in some serious housecleaning yesterday so I still have to get a test vid out. This afternoon I'm going to practice with the guys so hopefully somewhere tonight I've something to upload. We'll see.
FranR
FranR

Back to top Go down

Post  FranR Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:00 pm

An update here just letting Kris know that I bought his first beginner's lesson. I'll be picking up some more soon Smile I'm downloading it as I'm writing this and can't wait to see what you have in store for me there.

Playing bass right now is still not very comfortable; I can play like 10 to 15 minutes, but I rather do that than doing nothing. Nothing won't help me and I already feel I lost a lot of time on my bass.

I asked the doctor first though and he said if I could play without a great deal of pain that he would be okay with it. Some discomfort is normal, so I'll play just short sessions of 10/15 min, just enough to not lose the flexibility I've build up, or the roughness on my fingers ... callis?

I'm going to try and get the vox box - looking for an online retailer that can sent it to me so I can play more comfortable at home. I'm using a digitech rp 90 at the moment, but it's a clumsy way really.

Anyway, I do feel better than last week. Less pain in my shoulder and I've been drawing a lot again so that's also a good change - been missing it.

Oh btw, the riff to me had a bit of a "the cure" feel to it; not sure if that was your intention, but anyway it's one of my favorit bands.
FranR
FranR

Back to top Go down

Post  Cliff em' all Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:50 pm

WELCOME FRAN!
Cliff em' all
Cliff em' all
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  FranR Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:54 pm

THANKS! Very Happy
FranR
FranR

Back to top Go down

Post  Cliff em' all Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:06 pm

WHAT KIND OF MUSIC DO YOU LISTEN TO? Very Happy
Cliff em' all
Cliff em' all
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  akyra Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:17 pm

I think I missed this post D:

¬¬ sneaky

Hello Offically XD
akyra
akyra

Back to top Go down

Post  FranR Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:57 pm

Very sneaky! Suspect

And thanks.

@ Cliff

I listen to rock, pop, blues, some jazz, metal and some goth. I dislike country and certain metal genres. Some of the bands I listen to are BlØf (dutch poprock), Satriani, Iron Maiden, Metallica, the Cure, Tori Amos. Also some cd's from Britney Spears and tons of Michael Jackson (got all his albums).
FranR
FranR

Back to top Go down

Post  Some freaky guy Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:40 pm

Hi, Fran. Always nice to see new faces that I can forget after about five minutes because I'm crap with faces and names and all of that. Did I say welcome in that other thread too? If not, the I'll say it now.
Welcome, welcome to City 17.

Cliff em' all wrote:WHAT KIND OF MUSIC DO YOU LISTEN TO? Very Happy

WHY ARE YOU YELLING ON THE INTERNET?
Some freaky guy
Some freaky guy
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Cliff em' all Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:46 pm

She's from netherlands you fool how is she supposed to listen to me from so far?

You should listen to some Gojira,you'll get used to them from the first time you listen to.
Razz
Cliff em' all
Cliff em' all
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  FranR Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:26 pm

Cliff em' all wrote:She's from netherlands you fool how is she supposed to listen to me from so far?

WHAT!?

I bet they're talking about me. They always do! Hmph!

Razz
FranR
FranR

Back to top Go down

Post  Some freaky guy Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:30 pm

FranR wrote:
Cliff em' all wrote:She's from netherlands you fool how is she supposed to listen to me from so far?

WHAT!?

I bet they're talking about me. They always do! Hmph!

Razz

See? She heard you when you were talking normally. So stop yelling already, it hurts the porridge between my ears.
Some freaky guy
Some freaky guy
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Spoon Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:41 pm

Some freaky guy wrote:
See? She heard you when you were talking normally. So stop yelling already, it hurts the porridge between my ears.

mmmm... porridge
Spoon
Spoon

Back to top Go down

Post  ThreeLetterSyndrom Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:05 pm

Spoon wrote:
Some freaky guy wrote:

mmmm... porridge
*SPOON GOES OMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOM

Totally off-topic xD

ThreeLetterSyndrom
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  FranR Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:00 pm

Yeah that seems to happen alot on these forums here Laughing So, what were we talking about again?
FranR
FranR

Back to top Go down

Post  Some freaky guy Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:02 pm

FranR wrote:Yeah that seems to happen alot on these forums here Laughing So, what were we talking about again?

Porridge.
Some freaky guy
Some freaky guy
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum: