Free Bass guitar lessons

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Free Bass guitar lessons
Free Bass guitar lessons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Elite Groundwounds 45-105

+3
DubHertz
akyra
KrysH
7 posters

Go down

Elite Groundwounds 45-105 Empty Elite Groundwounds 45-105

Post  KrysH Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:06 am

Has anyone used these?

I've ordered a set for my fretless which is coming tomorrow as they seemed to get quite good recommendations.

And there was a free t-shirt with them Embarassed
KrysH
KrysH

Back to top Go down

Elite Groundwounds 45-105 Empty Re: Elite Groundwounds 45-105

Post  akyra Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:02 am

anything thing that comes with something free has my vote XD
akyra
akyra

Back to top Go down

Post  DubHertz Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:06 am

I believe that they are very similar to half-wound strings. I've got some D'addario half-wounds on my 4 string and I quite like the sound of them. They eliminate a great deal of the string noise when navigating up and down the fretboard yet they are not as muddy as flat-wound strings.

I must admit that they do feel a bit odd on the fingers at first but you soon get used to them.

Upon first installation they are quite bright but within a few days they calm down leaving a warm sound but still packed with lots of clarity.
DubHertz
DubHertz

Back to top Go down

Post  Stryfer Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:18 pm

They're like partial flatwounds (yea, I think that's the same as halfwound):
http://www.lordofthestrings.com/lots/mcsmambo.p?M5NextUrl=RNEWS&asn_id=2003051401

Look at the pictures and it'll give you an idea of what's going on. A smoother surface means there's less friction on that side, but a more mellow tone.

Stryfer

Back to top Go down

Post  KrysH Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:13 pm

Yeah - they start off life as roundwounds and then are ground semi flat and polished to a mirror finish. Apparently they almost have the feel of flats but are a little bit brighter in tone.

It was either those or GHS Bright Flats - which are actually groundwounds too.

I'll admit - the freebie swung my decision lol.
KrysH
KrysH

Back to top Go down

Post  Stryfer Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:25 pm

Strings are strings, all they do is convey your playing, so if they are both rated well, there shouldn't be too much trouble. The only thing you should take into consideration is how long they last. Expensive strings last and each set has it's own unique characteristic, but generally they give off similar sounds. Cheaper strings can have as good of a sound, but their lifespan might be considerably shorter.

If the strings fail, at least the shirt will last jocolor

Stryfer

Back to top Go down

Post  KrysH Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:46 pm

Well they're on and despite being the Bass Center's own brand of strings (I didn't know that DOH!) they beat the strings that came with the bass by a mile and a half.

The response from them volume and tone wise was huge compared to the horrid things that Vintage strung the instrument with.

As Stryfer says even if they don't last there's always the T-shirt and I'll try the GHS ones next.

Last edited by KrysH on Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:47 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling....again)
KrysH
KrysH

Back to top Go down

Post  danthewelshy Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:50 pm

Elites are very good strings, an industry standard if there is one for strings for sure...and the free t-shirt, im going to order a set of the stadium series very soon to get a fr33 one!
danthewelshy
danthewelshy

Back to top Go down

Post  KrysH Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:22 pm

It's bizarre really, I'm used to brand named strings so it never occurred to me that the Elites were anything but that til I read the back of the packaging where it said they were manufactured to the "demanding specifications of The Bass Centre London" or something very similar.
They certainly do the job and as groundwounds they're nice and flexible with a bit of bite to them as well as a lovely deep thumping bottom end. I've had flatwounds on a number of my guitars and they always felt more like metal rods than strings as they were so tight and inflexible.
KrysH
KrysH

Back to top Go down

Post  uglymutt Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:12 am

I was looking at buying some flatwounds, but maybe i'll try some of these first
uglymutt
uglymutt

Back to top Go down

Post  f8tlbyte Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:41 am

I played my uncle's p bass with some fender flat's on them. Although they were smooth as silk, and really brought out that growl everyone likes I was kinda blah about them. They didn't have the brightness of rounds and kinda sounded....well flat to me.
After discussing this with my Uncle, he said that the flatwounds will give move of a upright bass tone. It did but not my style. But damn they are smooth, I cant get over that.
f8tlbyte
f8tlbyte

Back to top Go down

Post  KrysH Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:41 am

The groundwounds retain some of that brightness tho they aren't as smooth as the flats, they're oddly "sticky" in a way but cut out the string noise of roundwounds.
KrysH
KrysH

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum