Free Bass guitar lessons

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Free Bass guitar lessons
Free Bass guitar lessons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FRET or Fretless

+2
KrysH
DaNinja
6 posters

Go down

FRET or Fretless Empty FRET or Fretless

Post  DaNinja Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:58 pm

I already know the answers that I'm gonna get for this but......
I have started playing again after a long break and am looking for a decent cheap bass. squier P bass special, Squier STD jazz something along those lines but have just seen a Warwick Rockbass Streamer going for under 200, but only in fretless. I mainly listen to rock, metal, grunge(sic) but always lean towards a cleaner bass sound, not muddy and rarely distorted. Will a fretless bass get the "bell" like tones I am after? I am not scared by fretless, but it wouldn't have been my 1st choice but for under 200 I don't think I can go to far wrong. Well if you can find a question in that lot, and you have an answer i cant wait to hear it!

Cheers

Dave

DaNinja

Back to top Go down

FRET or Fretless Empty Re: FRET or Fretless

Post  KrysH Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:04 am

I'd go for fretted.

I got back into playing bass a few weeks ago and got a fretted initially and then was lucky enough to get a fretless too but it's as an addition to the sounds I can get and not a replacement for the fretted.

Smile
KrysH
KrysH

Back to top Go down

Post  BlackF89 Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:17 pm

All depends on what sound you're after going by the music you say you like I'm inclined to say fretted, however with the right distortion fretless basses can sound awesome in rock music.
BlackF89
BlackF89

Back to top Go down

Post  Dropthelines585 Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:43 pm

If your into jazz a fretless will eventually become mandatory.
Dropthelines585
Dropthelines585
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guzco Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:42 pm

If you've never played a fretless I would not buy one until you try it. I've heard that it feels more different than you would think.

I've never played one myself.
Guzco
Guzco

Back to top Go down

FRET or Fretless Empty could be risky

Post  doofy2020 Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:17 pm

i dunno how long youve been playing bass for, but it may be a challenge. ive been playing about 5 months, and i own two fretted and one fretless bass. the fretless for me personally is a lot harder to play, as i have always learnt everything on a fretted. when i bought the fretless i was thinking 'cant be that hard to transfer my skills from a fretted to a fretless', and yet when i pick up my fretless i may as wel have been playing bass for a few weeks not months. this is my personal opinion anyway, dunno if anyone else has anything else to say. but i find fretless a lot harder to play than a fretted.
doofy2020
doofy2020

Back to top Go down

Post  BlackF89 Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:49 am

Getting my first fretless on monday hopefully Smile
BlackF89
BlackF89

Back to top Go down

Post  doofy2020 Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:39 pm

just discovered this guy on youtube. one day i will be able to play my fretless like this...