Free Bass guitar lessons

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Free Bass guitar lessons
Free Bass guitar lessons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thanks Dman

+4
Rushfan30
turboscrew
akyra
brk32
8 posters

Go down

Thanks Dman Empty Thanks Dman

Post  brk32 Fri May 21, 2010 2:52 am

A lot of you might remember me from before.... I posted a little back around 9 months ago or so.

I had always wanted to learn to play the guitar from the time I was 12 and just never got into it. Then about a year ago (like 2 weeks from now makes a year) I bought a bass and everything I needed to get started. I figured I would just pull the trigger because it was time to put up or shut up.

I got the bass and used the instructional DVD it came with for atleast an hour every day for about 5 weeks straight. Then I went onto youtube looking for lessons.. well the songs I came across were things like carry on wayward son and YYZ. Needless to say I became discouraged instantly. I put the bass down and never picked it back up for about 2 months.

Then I figured well maybe those were just not beginner songs. I got back on youtube and found Dman's videos... through learning my first few songs and proper technique and those things through his videos I gain a world of confidence.

Then I tried to play a song that was just to fast for me at the time, and gave up on it again. I made all kinds of excuses like I didn't have enough time in the day to practice and it was to hard because my fingers weren't as long as some peoples in the videos and on and on.

Then just two weeks ago I tried some more videos. I learned 3 new songs and got a decent foundation for slap bass! I can do the slap parts to lenny kravitz's fly away song. I thought I would never be able to slap!

I just wanted to thank Dman for the initial boost of confidence! And of course to tell all the beginner bassists out there that the key to being a great bassist is PATIENCE! Your speed and fretting abilities won't build over night.

I'm buying the Bass Tab White Pages book off of amazon for $19. It has ton's of songs that I want to learn to play!

I'm also restringing my bass this weekend, say goodbye yucky stock fender bass strings and hello Ernie Ball super slinkies!
brk32
brk32

Back to top Go down

Thanks Dman Empty Re: Thanks Dman

Post  akyra Fri May 21, 2010 8:13 am

Yey XD

Dman has helped alot of people with this forum and his lessons Smile

Your bass looks suspiciously like mine Cool
akyra
akyra

Back to top Go down

Post  turboscrew Fri May 21, 2010 2:25 pm

carry on wayward son
You mean that Kansas-song?

If you do, well you really could have started with something less challenging.

turboscrew

Back to top Go down

Post  Rushfan30 Fri May 21, 2010 5:39 pm

Yeah, Dman has helped a ton of people, maybe more than he knows, but when you start back up again just make sure to take things slow. It will take quite a while before you can play things like yyz and what not. Just stick with it and you will definitely get there! Very Happy
Rushfan30
Rushfan30

Back to top Go down

Post  Dropthelines585 Fri May 21, 2010 6:02 pm

YYZ is a song that would be considered highly advanced. Not something you can jump right into.
Dropthelines585
Dropthelines585
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  brk32 Fri May 21, 2010 11:21 pm

Yeah I mean the Kansas song lol... it was like death for me.

I learned a few much slower songs after epic failing that and YYZ.

My two biggest problems right now is I almost need to look at the fret board when I play and my ability to move around the fret board with any kind of speed at all is poor.

A song like ted nugents strangle hold is about where my speed / accuracy max out right now. The only big move in the first few bass lines is almost enough to throw me off.

But yep, I'm not giving up now!
brk32
brk32

Back to top Go down

Post  Dmanlamius Fri May 21, 2010 11:30 pm

Glad to be of help my man! Very Happy
Dmanlamius
Dmanlamius

Back to top Go down

Post  Grimelex Tue May 25, 2010 4:12 pm

You're a great service to us all Smile
Grimelex
Grimelex

Back to top Go down

Post  Dropthelines585 Tue May 25, 2010 5:06 pm

Stranglehold is a great song to learn how to improv. Lots of room to wander.
Dropthelines585
Dropthelines585
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sagar Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:53 am

DMAN RULES!!!YAY!!LONG LIVE KING DMAN!
Sagar
Sagar

Back to top Go down