Free Bass guitar lessons

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Free Bass guitar lessons
Free Bass guitar lessons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Group?

+7
Smaz
willba
Spoon
lololiet
Pippynip
MetalJacob
DavidM96
11 posters

Go down

New Group? Empty New Group?

Post  DavidM96 Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:58 pm

I know there has been talk of this, mostly from what ive seen in the "Post your songs" Topic. (i think its called that) But there is no topic on it. (correct me if im wrong). So what we said in the "Post your songs" topic is that we think we should have a new group and the moderator of that group would add new members when he felt they were trustworthy (as in, wont steal ideas and such). It would either be called VIP (Drak suggested i think) or Kris's Komrades (Pippynip suggested). Either way this group would be used so if there was a actual "post your songs" topic the only people allowed in would be someone from one of the groups (Cult of the Lamius, Trolls, Mods, Thanked by Lamius, and possibly Kris's Komrades/VIP) that way we know no one will steal anyone ideas and such. I also think having a couple mods for the new group would be better because if there are more mods more people will be recognized as trustworthy. The new group would also need a group color-name-thing so they are not confused with those not in the group.
DavidM96
DavidM96
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

New Group? Empty Re: New Group?

Post  MetalJacob Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:05 am

It's a nice idea but what about the people like me who don't post too often but do enjoy seeing everyone's ideas?
MetalJacob
MetalJacob

Back to top Go down

Post  Pippynip Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:11 am

We'd also need a new section that only the VIP group can access. Because of the whole 'no steal ideas' thing, it'd be pointless to have a VIP section that everyone can see, or no VIP section at all.

Also I think I remember there being a member limit in groups. I think it was 20? I doubt the VIP member limit will exceed 20 for a while, but if it does we'll need to create another VIP group.

There is also the remote possibility (remote because we're all awesome) that if some people get left out they'll kick up a fuss. (point proven by MetalJacob Razz yeah there should be a time factor involved, not a post factor. I'd say... 6 months? That's a reasonable amount of time.)

Two mods would suffice. I nominate TLS and DTL. Combined, they are DTLS!

and lastly, don't call it Kris' Komrades, it's a bloody silly name, makes it sound like a brand of cereal
Pippynip
Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidM96 Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:42 am

Pippynip wrote:
and lastly, don't call it Kris' Komrades, it's a bloody silly name, makes it sound like a brand of cereal

True, but VIP doesn't seem right, it makes me feel more important than like Cult of the Lamius....ill try and think of a new name if VIP doesn't work out.
DavidM96
DavidM96
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidM96 Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:59 pm

Didnt someone suggest the name could be "Regulars"?
DavidM96
DavidM96
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  lololiet Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:04 pm

DavidM96 wrote:Didnt someone suggest the name could be "Regulars"?

That's a terrible name, how abou; "Undead zombie-Vampire relationship counselors"?
lololiet
lololiet
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Spoon Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:18 pm

I say: the bass faces
Spoon
Spoon

Back to top Go down

Post  Pippynip Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:47 pm

Would every member have to change their display pic to their very own bass face?
Pippynip
Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidM96 Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:28 pm

hmmmm.....thats not to bad of an idea actually Very Happy
DavidM96
DavidM96
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

New Group? Empty New Group?

Post  willba Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:30 pm

But...I like my avatar Sad
willba
willba
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidM96 Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:32 pm

true...as do i............... give me a minute or so and i shall think of a name
DavidM96
DavidM96
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Smaz Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:28 pm

Whilst I have the power to do so, I'll leave this one up to Dman to decide if he wants it or not... Smile

Personally, I'd disagree with it - it is a lot of fuss over what could be very little in terms of benefits. How do you decide who to let in & when? Is it after a certain amount of days, weeks, months, years? A certain amount of posts? A vote? How do you decide how someones trustworthy via a few posts? What one person would deem as trustworthy, another wouldn't... Smile I think if you're not happy to share things publically, doing so privatley with a small group that are still actually people you don't know won't make much difference. As an idea, you could post the content with a sample, and just ask anyone that wants more of it to drop you a PM. That way you can control who you give it out to yourself.

Just my two cents Wink As I said, it's up to Dman though for that, not me!
Smaz
Smaz

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidM96 Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:38 pm

I was thinking, the person must be an active member for at least 6 months (the person would be taken out if they are in-active for say 1 month, unless they say they are gonna be on vacation for a month or something similar). And the person must have at least....200 posts? And people who are higher up (cult of lamius/mods/thanked by lamius) would suggest someone to the group admin, who would then "keep an eye" on that person for maybe a day or two to see what they think of them. If the admin thinks the person is trustworthy, the person was 200 posts or more, and has been a member at least 6 months, the person will be let in....seems simple enough, right?
DavidM96
DavidM96
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Dropthelines585 Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:47 pm

I don't think it matters. If people want to steal your music they're going to do it, VIP section or not.
Dropthelines585
Dropthelines585
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidM96 Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:51 pm

but not if they dont know you made any music, the section would be only accesible for someone in one of the groups....and only veiwable by someone in one of the groups
DavidM96
DavidM96
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  danthewelshy Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:20 am

Copyright your music. I can't remember the exact procedure but its something like send your music to your self via the post with the date on. Look that up, buts its very simple!
danthewelshy
danthewelshy

Back to top Go down

Post  uglymutt Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:23 am

It really depends where you live i know in the states you have to pay a licensing fee to copyright material, so the email to yourself can only be used as evidence of when you wrote the music so if an issue comes up later where somebody has copied you; there is a date and file to back up your claims.

In Australia:
There is no government registration system for copyright protection in Australia. You do not need to publish your work, put a copyright notice on it, or to do anything else to be covered by copyright — the protection is free and automatic. There are no forms to fill in, and there are no fees to be paid. You do not have to lodge your work with a government agency or anwhere else.

This covers copyright in most other countries although "Some countries, including the United States and Canada, have government registration systems. While it is not necessary to register for protection, registration can provide benefits in some cases in those countries."

So as long as we don't get anyone from embargoed countries on these forums, and everyone is honest i think we should pretty much be fine.

DISCLAIMER:
This isn't any proper legal advice or anything like that..... Check how your country's copyright laws work etc........
uglymutt
uglymutt

Back to top Go down

Post  turboscrew Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:44 pm

I guess the copyright laws are pretty similar all over EU.

turboscrew

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidM96 Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:52 pm

Ya, i live in ohio (which im sure all of you known is in the US). So what exactly do you mean by emailing yourself a copy of your music (right?) with a date? like a date as in the date you emailed it? scratch
DavidM96
DavidM96
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Smaz Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:22 pm

AFAIK: Copyright exists as soon as you do something. So if you write & record a song, it's copyrighted to you - you don't need to do anything. But proving it can be hard obviously.

& for the send yourself method: Record the stuff onto a CD, and stick it in an envelope and post it to yourself. You'll get the envelope back, with a postmark & date on - do not open it! This shows that on that date, you had the recording. However, I do believe this method wouldn't hold up in a court of law - I may be wrong though.

As said before, copyright is different in each country. Check your local laws, and what you have to do Smile
Smaz
Smaz

Back to top Go down

Post  danthewelshy Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:34 pm

Smaz wrote:AFAIK: Copyright exists as soon as you do something. So if you write & record a song, it's copyrighted to you - you don't need to do anything. But proving it can be hard obviously.

& for the send yourself method: Record the stuff onto a CD, and stick it in an envelope and post it to yourself. You'll get the envelope back, with a postmark & date on - do not open it! This shows that on that date, you had the recording. However, I do believe this method wouldn't hold up in a court of law - I may be wrong though.

As said before, copyright is different in each country. Check your local laws, and what you have to do Smile

I spoke directly face to face with someone from PRS music(Performers Rights...) who said that was the way to do it over here. Though i'm sure there must be more "official" ways?
danthewelshy
danthewelshy

Back to top Go down

Post  uglymutt Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:41 am

DavidM96 wrote:Ya, i live in ohio (which im sure all of you known is in the US). So what exactly do you mean by emailing yourself a copy of your music (right?) with a date? like a date as in the date you emailed it? scratch

Attach a mp3/wav file of your music to an email in the send: item box put your email address hit send, then when you receive it do not open it.
This can HELP prove (it's not definitive) that you are responsible for the music that you have written.
uglymutt
uglymutt

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidM96 Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:46 pm

i shall try that, thanks Very Happy
DavidM96
DavidM96
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down