Free Bass guitar lessons

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Free Bass guitar lessons
Free Bass guitar lessons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What amp should I get?

+4
DubHertz
willba
SuperMaximo93
MetalJacob
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What amp should I get? Empty What amp should I get?

Post  MetalJacob Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:36 am

So I recently decided that I want to get a Boss ODB-3 but now I've realized...I'm still using my tiny amp that came with my starter kit bass.So obviously I need a new amp before I start going crazy with effects and pedals and stuff.I need something preferably under $300 (I know,there's not much to choose from) and possibly usable on stage.I don't know too much about amps so recommendations and reasons why would be greatly appreciated. Very Happy
MetalJacob
MetalJacob

Back to top Go down

What amp should I get? Empty Re: What amp should I get?

Post  SuperMaximo93 Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:58 am

Well, an amp is like a bass, ideally you want to try them out for yourself and pick the one that you think sounds the best.

But if you can't, I think the Peavey MAX 115 combo is worth checking out: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-MAX-115-Bass-Combo-104003447-i1145637.gc
Peavey stuff tends to be built like tanks!
SuperMaximo93
SuperMaximo93

Back to top Go down

Post  MetalJacob Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:54 pm

I'm too self-conscious and embarrassed by my playing skill to go into a guitar center and test out amps.Now I know I've seen like Line 6 guitar amps have a bunch of cool effects on em.Can all amps do that?even bass amps? What type of bass amps can do that(if any)? Can the Peavey Max 115?
MetalJacob
MetalJacob

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperMaximo93 Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:19 pm

No, the Peavey doesn't have any built in effects, and I personally wouldn't recommend Line 6. Their effects processors are good apparently, but my band used one of their guitar amps for a while and it sounded okay at best... Then the guitarist got a Fender amp which made the Line 6 sound like rubbish. The effect switching on the amp was a real pain too. You'll probably find people that swear by Line 6 though... That's why you have to try amps out yourself really Neutral Personally I would get the best amp I could (regardless of effects) and buy effects later on, but obviously I'm in a different situation to you.

Don't be afraid to go into a shop and mess up, everyone does it and noone really cares, because they're only thinking about not messing up themselves Razz Just play a few notes and listen to them carefully and how the amp sounds when you adjust the settings. Once when I was trying out a Phaser pedal all I did was play open strings and messed around with the knobs on the pedal lol!
SuperMaximo93
SuperMaximo93

Back to top Go down

What amp should I get? Empty thseth

Post  willba Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:22 pm

This may sound stupid but if you care that much of what people think when u try it out, just learn a song that sounds good, no joke. Also make sure to play different techniques if you can to pinpoint any problems
willba
willba
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  DubHertz Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:43 pm

My brother in law arrived one day with a Line 6 bass amp complaining about a lack of bottom end. so I plugged a bass guitar into it and twiddled until I came to exactly the same conclusion. Just to prove a point I plugged the same bass into my mixing desk via a DI box and my studio monitors did a much better job at reproducing the low end notes.

Some of the effects in the line6 sounded ok but the clean sound from this unit was very poor - probably the result of having to much digital circuitry.

As Supermaximo says go for a decent Peavey that has analogue circuitry and you cant go wrong and in the future if you really need it buy some effects. Again in agreement with SuperM' build quality is important if you are going to be gigging so yes brands like Peavey, Carlsbro, Trace Elliot, Marshall are the best, especially pre year 2000 models. (The electronics industry started to use lead free solder around this time and it makes unreliable solder joints causing bad connections inside equipment).

Dont be afraid to look for secondhand amplifiers from Ebay, local newspapers etc.. the way that i look at it is - if an amplifier built in the 1980's still works properly in 2010 then it must be good. Smile
DubHertz
DubHertz

Back to top Go down

Post  MetalJacob Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:32 pm

Awesome, thanks y'all
MetalJacob
MetalJacob

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidM96 Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:48 pm

well im running into the same "problem" as Jacob. But i didnt want to make another thread so i decided to use this one. (if thats ok with jacob of course).

Well i also need a better amp and i came across one on guitar centers website....looks good to me but i wanted someone elses feedback.

LINK: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Behringer-ULTRABASS-BXL3000-300W-1x15--Bass-Combo-481097-i1145513.gc
DavidM96
DavidM96
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperMaximo93 Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:55 pm

Stay away from Behringer. Their amps are known to break down easily and they don't tell you the true power of the amp. 300W? No way are you actually getting 300W, and if you are, it won't sound very good... I'd rather buy Line 6
SuperMaximo93
SuperMaximo93

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidM96 Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:00 pm

what would be a good amp for what im looking for. Id like the amp to be at least 100 watts, under 300$, something that wont break easily, and has an equalizer (the "style" equalizer like the one on the behringer). Anyone know an amp that fits the descriptions?
DavidM96
DavidM96
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  willba Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:31 pm

Three words......used Peavey TNT
willba
willba
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  maxf13 Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:39 pm

ye like that
maxf13
maxf13

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperMaximo93 Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:09 pm

Yeah, Peavey TNTs are tanks and go pretty cheap. I got mine for £50! lol!

Speaking of Peavey TNTs, if anyone wants mine and is able to pick it up or near enough for me (my dad rather Razz) to drop it (I'm in Hertfordshire), you can have it for free Smile It's in pretty bad nick (had to rip off the vinyl, then break it apart (BIG HAMMER WOOT XD) then put it back together again to get it into my loft/band area Razz) and pretty temperamental... Oh well it's free. Once I get my new amp of course! Should be in a few weeks time, will update you on my progress... Sorry to hijack the topic Razz

Also David (and Jacob), I have a Peavey TNT 115, it's 160w, and has the graphic equaliser (similar to the one on the Behringer amp). See if you can find one of those, they're good amps.
SuperMaximo93
SuperMaximo93

Back to top Go down

Post  Pippynip Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:25 pm

Oh bugger, I'm on the other side of the country Sad
Pippynip
Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

What amp should I get? Empty What amp should I get?

Post  willba Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:27 pm

Its not that far, 2 hours drive im guessing from bristol.

PS-If there's anything you've got left to sell max u got throw in the peavey to sweeten the deal Very Happy
willba
willba
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperMaximo93 Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:55 pm

True... Although I don't think many people would appreciate getting a free semi-busted amp with my Bismark P-Bass or Ibanez GSR200 (buy them! Razz) lol
SuperMaximo93
SuperMaximo93

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidM96 Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:34 pm

Pippynip wrote:Oh bugger, I'm on the other side of the country Sad

ya but im on the other side of the world Crying or Very sad
DavidM96
DavidM96
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Pippynip Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:27 pm

No you're not. Damn close though.
Pippynip
Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidM96 Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:50 pm

close enough Razz
DavidM96
DavidM96
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  MetalJacob Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:50 pm

Are there any amps similar to the ones we've been talking about,that also have distortion?
MetalJacob
MetalJacob

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperMaximo93 Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:50 pm

Aha!
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Rumble-75-75W-1x12-Bass-Combo-Amp-105767826-i1500543.gc
Fender Rumble 75! Has distortion built in too. Fender Rumbles have a good reputation, they don't seem to be the best, but you could definitely do worse, they seem like good all round combo amps Smile
SuperMaximo93
SuperMaximo93

Back to top Go down

Post  MetalJacob Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:15 am

So I've got about $300 saved up now. But I decided due to tax and stuff and not having a steady income, finding a used amp would probably be better. So basically I found a 125w amp that's a Laney. So my question is, how good are Laneys? Are they a shit offbrand or something?
MetalJacob
MetalJacob

Back to top Go down

Post  Some freaky guy Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:18 am

Never touched a Laney, but I think Fender Rumble amps are pretty decent. But the best would probably be getting an amp with no clusterfucky, shiny extras, a pedal (ask to try them to see what you prefer, I recommend trying the Boss MZ-3 (if they let you, it's a guitar pedal), the ElectroHarmonix Big Muff (Green Russian Reissue is my favourite) and Boss ODB-3 (only one I actually have, pretty good once you mess with the settings. Warning: WILL make your sound much louder, so turn down the volume/gain on your amp before switching it on) and an extra cable to go between pedal and amp.

Two protips:

The more fancy features an amp has, the more likely it is that at least one of them breaks.

Always unplug your pedals after use to save battery. I wasted an entire battery in my ODB-3 by leaving it with a cable plugged into the input overnight.
Some freaky guy
Some freaky guy
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperMaximo93 Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:26 am

Laney's good. Try before you buy though.

Some freaky guy wrote:Always unplug your pedals after use to save battery. I wasted an entire battery in my ODB-3 by leaving it with a cable plugged into the input overnight.
Solved
What amp should I get? 9v-dc-regulated-power-supply-luxury-pack-with-10-way-daisy-chain-8-p
SuperMaximo93
SuperMaximo93

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum