Free Bass guitar lessons


Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Free Bass guitar lessons
Free Bass guitar lessons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Question

Go down

Question Empty Question

Post  willba Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:10 pm

Whats everyones opinion on downloading music, games, films illegally?

I buy them and download them personally.

Discuss..
willba
willba
A resident.
A resident.


Back to top Go down

Question Empty Re: Question

Post  SuperMaximo93 Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:00 pm

I would buy music, but I haven't had that much money recently, and I don't want to illegally download it, so I just use Grooveshark. $30 a year and I get music on my phone Smile (Much, much, much better value than Spotify Premium Rolling Eyes)
SuperMaximo93
SuperMaximo93


Back to top Go down

Question Empty Re: Question

Post  lololiet Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:06 pm

well, I do download a lot of music but that's mainly because A) I don't have much money and B) most record shops in my area just sell garbage.

I spend quite a lot of money on CD's but a lot of what I listen to isn't available. I do always feel bad when downloading though, espacially if the artist hasn't done that well recently, I can download Eric Clapton's without problem but I wouldn't get any of Dman's work like that because he actually could need the money and isn't a millionaire.

You know what I'm saying?
lololiet
lololiet
A resident.
A resident.


Back to top Go down

Question Empty Re: Question

Post  willba Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:29 pm

I bought a Dman hoodie, and they arent being sold anymore so whenever I feel I should be buying the lessons to help I remember that. Razz

Jelous? (of hoodie)
willba
willba
A resident.
A resident.


Back to top Go down

Question Empty Re: Question

Post  lololiet Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:34 pm

willba wrote:I bought a Dman hoodie, and they arent being sold anymore so whenever I feel I should be buying the lessons to help I remember that. Razz

Jelous? (of hoodie)
Yeah, that's a pretty epic hoodie!
lololiet
lololiet
A resident.
A resident.


Back to top Go down

Question Empty Re: Question

Post  willba Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:37 pm

Ill put it in my avatar or something tomorrow

Edit - Done Smile


Last edited by willba on Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:29 am; edited 1 time in total
willba
willba
A resident.
A resident.


Back to top Go down

Question Empty Re: Question

Post  Pippynip Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:08 am

Way I see it, there's far too much content available. The average person can't possibly buy everything he or she wants, so a bit of piracy here and there is no skin off anyone's nose. The odd CD here, the odd TV show here. It's the ones who download entire discographies of multiple bands and suchlike who are in the wrong here. The "Why pay for anything when I can get it for free" tribe.

I also use piracy as a kind of free trial service Razz For example, I downloaded Predators the other day. Watched about 20 minutes, thought it was shit and deleted it. If I liked it, I'd buy it (when it comes out, anyway).

_________________
Question Pippynip

An opinion solicited does not equal one freely voiced.
Pippynip
Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.


Back to top Go down

Question Empty Re: Question

Post  MetalJacob Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:46 am

98% of the music I have is downloaded. The other 2% are CD's I bought when I was first getting into music. Honestly I think the way it is nowadays is that, since a band gets very little of the money from their CD anyways (it's split up between their record companies and other things) it doesn't matter if you download it. Bands get most of their money from people coming the shows, and more importantly, buying merchandise at their shows. So yea I download everything, and I buy merchandise of all of my favorite bands.


Also, I estimated the amount of money I would spend for all the music that I listen to on a constant basis. I used $10 per album even though most albums will go more than that and it came up to be about $1650. There's no way I would ever have the money for that and so if I didn't then I wouldn't listen to these amazing bands and get influenced to create my own music. Just a thought.
MetalJacob
MetalJacob


Back to top Go down

Question Empty Re: Question

Post  Bass Mon Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:57 am

It's legal to download music for free in Canada

Bass Mon


Back to top Go down

Question Empty Re: Question

Post  Dmanlamius Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:17 am

Dmanlamius
Dmanlamius


Back to top Go down

Question Empty Re: Question

Post  ThreeLetterSyndrom Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:40 am

I just use Spotify for everything. Wink

ThreeLetterSyndrom
A resident.
A resident.


Back to top Go down

Question Empty Re: Question

Post  Pippynip Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:36 pm

MetalJacob wrote:98% of the music I have is downloaded. The other 2% are CD's I bought when I was first getting into music. Honestly I think the way it is nowadays is that, since a band gets very little of the money from their CD anyways (it's split up between their record companies and other things) it doesn't matter if you download it. Bands get most of their money from people coming the shows, and more importantly, buying merchandise at their shows. So yea I download everything, and I buy merchandise of all of my favorite bands.


Also, I estimated the amount of money I would spend for all the music that I listen to on a constant basis. I used $10 per album even though most albums will go more than that and it came up to be about $1650. There's no way I would ever have the money for that and so if I didn't then I wouldn't listen to these amazing bands and get influenced to create my own music. Just a thought.

I don't really buy any merchandise (edit: except the occasional T-shirt) and I don't go to that many gigs, so the only way I can support a band is by giving them the 20p they'd make off the album sale.

Seriously. 20p. It's unfair to say the record companies don't deserve any of the money... but damn.

_________________
Question Pippynip

An opinion solicited does not equal one freely voiced.
Pippynip
Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.


Back to top Go down

Question Empty Re: Question

Post  Some freaky guy Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:17 pm

Pippynip wrote:
MetalJacob wrote:98% of the music I have is downloaded. The other 2% are CD's I bought when I was first getting into music. Honestly I think the way it is nowadays is that, since a band gets very little of the money from their CD anyways (it's split up between their record companies and other things) it doesn't matter if you download it. Bands get most of their money from people coming the shows, and more importantly, buying merchandise at their shows. So yea I download everything, and I buy merchandise of all of my favorite bands.


Also, I estimated the amount of money I would spend for all the music that I listen to on a constant basis. I used $10 per album even though most albums will go more than that and it came up to be about $1650. There's no way I would ever have the money for that and so if I didn't then I wouldn't listen to these amazing bands and get influenced to create my own music. Just a thought.

I don't really buy any merchandise (edit: except the occasional T-shirt) and I don't go to that many gigs, so the only way I can support a band is by giving them the 20p they'd make off the album sale.

Seriously. 20p. It's unfair to say the record companies don't deserve any of the money... but damn.

Same, basically. I buy music for getting better quality than I get from Spotify, and the only music I actually download is music I already own legal copies of, but for some reason my PC won't import it.
Some freaky guy
Some freaky guy
A resident.
A resident.


Back to top Go down

Question Empty Re: Question

Post  Pippynip Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:52 pm

Oh I also use last.fm. Been using it quite a lot recently for the same reasons Smax uses Grooveshark Razz

_________________
Question Pippynip

An opinion solicited does not equal one freely voiced.
Pippynip
Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.


Back to top Go down

Question Empty Re: Question

Post  MetalJacob Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:59 pm

Here's a related link: http://www.clickitticket.com/MoneyMusicandPiracy.asp

It shows how much musicians actually get from their CD's.
MetalJacob
MetalJacob


Back to top Go down

Question Empty Re: Question

Post  Pippynip Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:32 am


_________________
Question Pippynip

An opinion solicited does not equal one freely voiced.
Pippynip
Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.


Back to top Go down

Question Empty Re: Question

Post  MetalJacob Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:03 am

Couldn't watch more than a minute of that.
MetalJacob
MetalJacob


Back to top Go down

Question Empty Re: Question

Post  willba Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:37 am

Ive actually seen that video before, can't remember where though.
willba
willba
A resident.
A resident.


Back to top Go down

Question Empty Re: Question

Post  Dropthelines585 Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:18 pm

I feel very strongly about this subject in a couple different ways. Firstly, record companies are evil for exploiting talented folks like you and me. They have turned many good bands into garbage just to sell records to smaller-minded folk. I could go on for days about this, but this is the short version.

Secondly, I believe a band's entire purpose for producing an album is to sell their live show. A lot of people would argue the reverse, but from the band's point of view, that's how they make their money. Selling the media is how the record company makes its money. So it works in kind of a symbiont way. I think if more bands realized this, they would work harder on making the live performance better than the album.

Basically, yes I download a lot of music. I don't steal from local and up-and-coming acts. I always buy their recordings and merch, because that's how they can afford to play. As for bigger acts, I just use the studio recordings to decide if I would spend money to go see them live. Cutting out the middle man, so to speak.


Awesome thread btw.
Dropthelines585
Dropthelines585
A resident.
A resident.


Back to top Go down

Question Empty Re: Question

Post  maxf13 Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:38 pm

I much prefer getting a CD than downloading it.
I like having something to hold on too Smile
I still download quite a lot though cause CD's are quite expensive and most of the stuff you cant find anyways Sad
maxf13
maxf13


Back to top Go down

Question Empty Re: Question

Post  willba Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:19 pm

While we're on this thread.

Limewire has just been closed down today.

http://www.limewire.com/
willba
willba
A resident.
A resident.


Back to top Go down

Question Empty Re: Question

Post  Drakon7 Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:49 am

I use illegally downloading as a 'try before you buy' thing. If I like it, I WILL purchase it. With the exception of people who have enough money, like Metallica or something. I dont feel Im supporting the artist.

I also illegally download classical music from people who died many years ago, Im sure Beethoven's ancestors aren't seeing that money.

EDIT: An additional point to make, is that, I would never have bought those albums, had I not downloaded them first. It can cost $30-$40 for a CD here, even online, with shipping and all. So yeah, its a stalemate, your music is getting stolen, but the people who stole it probably would never have bought it anyways.

EDIT 2: Agreeing with DTL, 95% of people wont go to a show unless they KNOW they like the band, and about 40% of people wouldnt go to a show if they didnt know the songs well enough. So a fair percentage of people attending your live show, would never have forked out the money, if they hadnt stolen it from you in the first place
Drakon7
Drakon7


Back to top Go down

Question Empty Re: Question

Post  willba Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:33 am

Yeah I downloaded aload of Muse albums awhile ago since I didnt really have any idea about the controversy, but since then ive spent around £80 on my Muse ticket and their merchandise. Which is about double the price of buying all their albums now.
willba
willba
A resident.
A resident.


Back to top Go down

Question Empty Re: Question

Post  Nocturnal_Pulse Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:58 pm

Dropthelines585 wrote:I feel very strongly about this subject in a couple different ways. Firstly, record companies are evil for exploiting talented folks like you and me. They have turned many good bands into garbage just to sell records to smaller-minded folk. I could go on for days about this, but this is the short version.

Secondly, I believe a band's entire purpose for producing an album is to sell their live show. A lot of people would argue the reverse, but from the band's point of view, that's how they make their money. Selling the media is how the record company makes its money. So it works in kind of a symbiont way. I think if more bands realized this, they would work harder on making the live performance better than the album.

Basically, yes I download a lot of music. I don't steal from local and up-and-coming acts. I always buy their recordings and merch, because that's how they can afford to play. As for bigger acts, I just use the studio recordings to decide if I would spend money to go see them live. Cutting out the middle man, so to speak.


Awesome thread btw.

a huge quote, great post my friend. +1
Nocturnal_Pulse
Nocturnal_Pulse
A resident.
A resident.


Back to top Go down

Question Empty Re: Question

Post  maxf13 Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:03 pm

willba wrote:While we're on this thread.

Limewire has just been closed down today.

http://www.limewire.com/

trololololol

its all about other websites anyways Smile
maxf13
maxf13


Back to top Go down

Question Empty Re: Question

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum