Free Bass guitar lessons

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Free Bass guitar lessons
Free Bass guitar lessons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mandolin

5 posters

Go down

Mandolin Empty Mandolin

Post  lololiet Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:33 pm

Today is Queen´s day in The Netherlands and traditionally Queen´s day is celebrated by having big yard sales everywhere. During this I´ve bought an old mandolin(10 euros, including a banjo case that apparently used to belong to te singer of the Tannahill Weavers, of whom I had never heard before today, but it sounded impressive). But now I can´t seem to get the damned thing in tune. I have a keyboard here and I´m trying to tune it to that but I can´t seem to get it to sound right. A contributing factor could be that the strings are at least a decade old, I´ll be replacing those as soon as I can. Does anybody know how I can get that thing in tune and does anyone know where to start learning how to play it, maybe with a website like Dman´s?
lololiet
lololiet
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Mandolin Empty Re: Mandolin

Post  Drakon7 Tue May 01, 2012 12:13 am

lololiet wrote:Today is Queen´s day in The Netherlands and traditionally Queen´s day is celebrated by having big yard sales everywhere. During this I´ve bought an old mandolin(10 euros, including a banjo case that apparently used to belong to te singer of the Tannahill Weavers, of whom I had never heard before today, but it sounded impressive). But now I can´t seem to get the damned thing in tune. I have a keyboard here and I´m trying to tune it to that but I can´t seem to get it to sound right. A contributing factor could be that the strings are at least a decade old, I´ll be replacing those as soon as I can. Does anybody know how I can get that thing in tune and does anyone know where to start learning how to play it, maybe with a website like Dman´s?

Mandolin is easy! No need for sites, really, since you have the basics down from playing bass. Mandolin is like a guitar with strings, old strings are useless. Get new strings asap, luckily, mandolin strings are cheap as (especially compared to bass strings!)

I play mandolin, too! Smile its fun playing around with different tunings, dont restrict yourself!
Drakon7
Drakon7

Back to top Go down

Post  ThreeLetterSyndrom Tue May 01, 2012 8:54 am

Pssssh, Mandolin. Ukulele is where it's at.

ThreeLetterSyndrom
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Stryfer Tue May 01, 2012 12:34 pm

Kazoo? tongue

Stryfer

Back to top Go down

Post  lololiet Tue May 01, 2012 1:41 pm

Drakon7 wrote:
lololiet wrote:Today is Queen´s day in The Netherlands and traditionally Queen´s day is celebrated by having big yard sales everywhere. During this I´ve bought an old mandolin(10 euros, including a banjo case that apparently used to belong to te singer of the Tannahill Weavers, of whom I had never heard before today, but it sounded impressive). But now I can´t seem to get the damned thing in tune. I have a keyboard here and I´m trying to tune it to that but I can´t seem to get it to sound right. A contributing factor could be that the strings are at least a decade old, I´ll be replacing those as soon as I can. Does anybody know how I can get that thing in tune and does anyone know where to start learning how to play it, maybe with a website like Dman´s?

Mandolin is easy! No need for sites, really, since you have the basics down from playing bass. Mandolin is like a guitar with strings, old strings are useless. Get new strings asap, luckily, mandolin strings are cheap as (especially compared to bass strings!)

I play mandolin, too! Smile its fun playing around with different tunings, dont restrict yourself!
Thanks, I've already ordered some new strings online because right now it goes(even more) out of tune every three bloody chords. But I am going to try looking up the basic chords and a couple of simpler songs, even though we have a guitar around I'm not really used to chord based instruments.

And Kazoos aren't instruments.
lololiet
lololiet
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  ThreeLetterSyndrom Tue May 01, 2012 3:51 pm

lololiet wrote:
And Kazoos aren't instruments.
Right. Kazoos are glorious, godly music-producing entities.

ThreeLetterSyndrom
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Pippynip Wed May 02, 2012 11:14 pm

The apocalypse will be heralded by a swarm of almighty Kazoo.

Yeah that's right, I plural'd with a singular. Whatachagonnado? Very Happy
Pippynip
Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum