Free Bass guitar lessons

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Free Bass guitar lessons
Free Bass guitar lessons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Number One Bassline

+10
brk32
Smaz
McSnuggles
general lee
Dropthelines585
Pastichio
Cliff em' all
SuperMaximo93
Admin
xXMaliceXx
14 posters

Go down

Number One Bassline Empty Number One Bassline

Post  xXMaliceXx Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:34 am

What is your number one favourite basline that you play at home?
You might have more than one but whats that one that sticks out?

Mine is Can't Stop - Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Its way open for quick slap fills in the verse and the chorus even more open, my drummer and I have changed it so much, its our number one favourite to perform.
xXMaliceXx
xXMaliceXx

Back to top Go down

Number One Bassline Empty Re: Number One Bassline

Post  Admin Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:27 pm

I play anything, really, but this is always fun and seems to be popping up a lot lately:

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperMaximo93 Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:07 pm

Very Happy

I just need to work on getting that 7-9 hammer on on the G then the mute slap and pop sounding nice 100% of the time...
SuperMaximo93
SuperMaximo93

Back to top Go down

Post  Cliff em' all Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:56 pm

I just can't stop playing it,but i also love that basline:

Cliff em' all
Cliff em' all
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  xXMaliceXx Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:38 am

Cliff em' all wrote:

I just can't stop playing it,but i also love that basline:

ooo live at slane castle, I have that DVD
Californication = afro
xXMaliceXx
xXMaliceXx

Back to top Go down

Post  Pastichio Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:52 am

Good Times Bad Times or Ramble On by Led Zeppelin.
Pastichio
Pastichio
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Dropthelines585 Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:13 pm

Pastichio wrote:Good Times Bad Times or Ramble On by Led Zeppelin.

GTBT is great fun.

Btw, who plays Roundabout? This has been plaguing me for weeks. All I know is that they're Australian.

All Around The World is fun to play, and also the main riff for wooten's "me and my bass guitar".
Dropthelines585
Dropthelines585
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  general lee Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:07 am

The intro of For Whom The Bell Tolls by Metallica.

Or maybe Daytripper by The Beatles
general lee
general lee

Back to top Go down

Post  McSnuggles Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:12 pm

Dropthelines585 wrote:Btw, who plays Roundabout?

Yes plays Roundabout.

Right now... it's a really simple bassline but i love the song so I play along every time I listen to it.

McSnuggles
McSnuggles

Back to top Go down

Post  Smaz Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:12 pm

I doesn't get much better than this...

king
Smaz
Smaz

Back to top Go down

Post  brk32 Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:32 am

I would vote for can't stop. Flea drives me and him as a bassist is one of my bigger if not biggest motivations to pick the bass up every day and work at it. What he does with that instrument is nothing short of an incredible art, he takes it to the next level for sure.
brk32
brk32

Back to top Go down

Post  Dropthelines585 Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:20 pm

I'm not trying to bash flea or anything, because he is a great player, but imho he's astronomically overrated. There are a thousand greater players than flea out there, but he's famous so that's all people are exposed to bass-wise. I'm not saying I could do better, but I'm aiming way higher than his level of playing. Go ahead and flame me if you want, but that's how I feel.
Dropthelines585
Dropthelines585
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Cliff em' all Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:47 am

Dropthelines585 wrote:I'm not trying to bash flea or anything, because he is a great player, but imho he's astronomically overrated. There are a thousand greater players than flea out there, but he's famous so that's all people are exposed to bass-wise. I'm not saying I could do better, but I'm aiming way higher than his level of playing. Go ahead and flame me if you want, but that's how I feel.

:emoticon putting flame on droptheline555
Cliff em' all
Cliff em' all
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Dmanlamius Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:21 pm

Dropthelines585 wrote:I'm not trying to bash flea or anything, because he is a great player, but imho he's astronomically overrated. There are a thousand greater players than flea out there, but he's famous so that's all people are exposed to bass-wise. I'm not saying I could do better, but I'm aiming way higher than his level of playing. Go ahead and flame me if you want, but that's how I feel.

I think that Flea is more about his personality, and how he projects that personality onto the bass.

A lot of us "might" be at a better standard than Flea, definatly. But there is only one Flea, and he was the first to do it his way.

He's an entertainer. Smile
Dmanlamius
Dmanlamius

Back to top Go down

Post  Dropthelines585 Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:40 pm

Dmanlamius wrote:

I think that Flea is more about his personality, and how he projects that personality onto the bass.

A lot of us "might" be at a better standard than Flea, definatly. But there is only one Flea, and he was the first to do it his way.

He's an entertainer. Smile

I had that in mind. I was just speaking from a skill level point of view. I love watching him play.
Dropthelines585
Dropthelines585
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Rushfan30 Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:57 pm

This has got to be the one that comes out most often. Really fun to play.

When ever I got slap always play/ warm up with this tune... Its hard not to love playing it.
afro
Rushfan30
Rushfan30

Back to top Go down

Post  Pastichio Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:07 am

I understand where you are coming from, everyone knows who the Chili Peppers are and everyone knows who Flea is and then its 'my god he's the best bass player on the planet'. To me Flea is an innovator on the bass, he brought slap bass forward and fused it with punk. But he is also a bass player who learned to know his place in a song, knowing what was right for the song and not his ego. You can hear this on Blood Sugar Sex Magik onwards and especially in the Chili's last few albums, his playing isn't overcomplicated but it works and fits the song. Listen to his playing with The Mars Volta, completely different to his work with the Chili's.In my opinion that's what a great bass player does, he compliments the music rather than complicating it.

You say you are aiming higher than his level of playing. But what exactly is Flea's level of playing? Last year he started learning music theory, composition and jazz trumpet at the University of Southern California. He plans to release a solo album of largely instrumental songs.It would seem that Flea is a musician that is still improving his own level of playing.
Pastichio
Pastichio
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Dropthelines585 Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:56 am

Pastichio wrote:

I understand where you are coming from, everyone knows who the Chili Peppers are and everyone knows who Flea is and then its 'my god he's the best bass player on the planet'. To me Flea is an innovator on the bass, he brought slap bass forward and fused it with punk. But he is also a bass player who learned to know his place in a song, knowing what was right for the song and not his ego. You can hear this on Blood Sugar Sex Magik onwards and especially in the Chili's last few albums, his playing isn't overcomplicated but it works and fits the song. Listen to his playing with The Mars Volta, completely different to his work with the Chili's.In my opinion that's what a great bass player does, he compliments the music rather than complicating it.

You say you are aiming higher than his level of playing. But what exactly is Flea's level of playing? Last year he started learning music theory, composition and jazz trumpet at the University of Southern California. He plans to release a solo album of largely instrumental songs.It would seem that Flea is a musician that is still improving his own level of playing.

Noted. I look forward to hearing the solo stuff. And I definitely see not cluttering up the song and all. I was more or less speaking of the public's opinion of him. As far as level of playing goes, I suppose "...level of playing last time I heard him" would have been more appropriate.
It would be silly to think that any serious musician would stop getting better. I do respect him more for going back to school to learn more about what he's doing. I wish I would have stayed sometimes. Don't get me wrong, I respect the man and his abilities, but people do tend to blow it out of proportion.
Dropthelines585
Dropthelines585
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Pastichio Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:08 am

Dropthelines585 wrote:
Pastichio wrote:

Noted. I look forward to hearing the solo stuff. And I definitely see not cluttering up the song and all. I was more or less speaking of the public's opinion of him. As far as level of playing goes, I suppose "...level of playing last time I heard him" would have been more appropriate.
It would be silly to think that any serious musician would stop getting better. I do respect him more for going back to school to learn more about what he's doing. I wish I would have stayed sometimes. Don't get me wrong, I respect the man and his abilities, but people do tend to blow it out of proportion.

Yea I totally agree with you there, people do tend to put this God like status on him. It's like Hendrix, put on this pedestal of the greatest guitarist ever when in actual fact he wasn't. I think these titles are not really fair to these musicians because on one hand you have the people hailing them Gods and on the other hand you have people rejecting this claim, and their contribution to music gets lost in this struggle of 'who is the best' blah blah.

A few years ago I used to spend a lot of time on a music forum, not a musicians forum, just people talking about music. But a lot of threads used to pop up with titles like 'Best Bassist Ever' with someones rant about why this bassist was the best etc etc. Threads like this used to piss me off because they were never constructive just people arguing about who was the best. In my opinion there is no best just people opinions. Granted there are certain musicians who have reached a high level of expertise but to hail one as the best is stupid.
Pastichio
Pastichio
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Dropthelines585 Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:27 am

Pastichio wrote:
Dropthelines585 wrote:
Pastichio wrote:

Yea I totally agree with you there, people do tend to put this God like status on him. It's like Hendrix, put on this pedestal of the greatest guitarist ever when in actual fact he wasn't. I think these titles are not really fair to these musicians because on one hand you have the people hailing them Gods and on the other hand you have people rejecting this claim, and their contribution to music gets lost in this struggle of 'who is the best' blah blah.

A few years ago I used to spend a lot of time on a music forum, not a musicians forum, just people talking about music. But a lot of threads used to pop up with titles like 'Best Bassist Ever' with someones rant about why this bassist was the best etc etc. Threads like this used to piss me off because they were never constructive just people arguing about who was the best. In my opinion there is no best just people opinions. Granted there are certain musicians who have reached a high level of expertise but to hail one as the best is stupid.

Agreed. That's the main reason I stopped going to forums. Opinions are like assholes, everybody's got one but no one wants to see anyone else's. It's like the goddamn youtubers that totally flip out on everyone's comments. Can't help but laugh. It's ridiculous how ignorant people can be. I'm glad all you folks aren't stupid.

Ignorant people lack knowledge, but stupid people are unwilling to gain it.
Dropthelines585
Dropthelines585
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Dmanlamius Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:48 am

Yup, tis a good place we've got here!

I'm wondering if that'll change, the more people join.... affraid
Dmanlamius
Dmanlamius

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperMaximo93 Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:07 pm

Dmanlamius wrote:Yup, tis a good place we've got here!

I reckon that as long as everyone here at the moment stay being good natured people the new members will be obliged to follow... Hopefully Razz
SuperMaximo93
SuperMaximo93

Back to top Go down

Post  Cliff em' all Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:25 pm

SuperMaximo93 wrote:
Dmanlamius wrote:Yup, tis a good place we've got here!

I reckon that as long as everyone here at the moment stay being good natured people the new members will be obliged to follow... Hopefully Razz

You.Not.Included Laughing Laughing lol!
Cliff em' all
Cliff em' all
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  maxf13 Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:09 pm

best bassline imo
is bombtrack by rage against the machine
maxf13
maxf13

Back to top Go down

Post  Faceslide Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:39 pm

Hello again from the world beyond! What Im reading alot of in this thread is "Simple but fun" which I think embodies alot of what makes any music good. Technicalities don't help take music to the next level in my opinion, just a different plane, same level.
Faceslide
Faceslide

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down