Free Bass guitar lessons

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Free Bass guitar lessons
Free Bass guitar lessons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Six String Basses..

+6
willba
BlackF89
mts
Fuzzy
Dropthelines585
Drakon7
10 posters

Go down

Six String Basses.. Empty Six String Basses..

Post  Drakon7 Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:57 pm

Thoughts? Opinions?

I was just trying some out yesterday when I got my new bass out [the line was too long, I wanted to play some $4000 basses before I left Smile]

And they were actually pretty nice to play

I was thinking about getting one in months to come

But my problem is..

Should I go straight to a 6, or go to a 5 first, cause tbh, the 6 was actually ALOT nicer to play then the 5.
Drakon7
Drakon7

Back to top Go down

Six String Basses.. Empty Re: Six String Basses..

Post  Dropthelines585 Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:13 am

Get the six. Then you won't be left wanting in the future. I'd lov3 a sixer about now.
Dropthelines585
Dropthelines585
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Fuzzy Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:03 am

Get the six, if thats what you want Smile

I'm def going for a fiver Wink
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  mts Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:42 am

Buy a guitar lol.

But well seriously its personal thing like everything else. At least go some store and try one out.
mts
mts

Back to top Go down

Post  Drakon7 Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:05 am

lol mts

sex string bass is different tuning to a guitar, plus, its a much better octave Smile

lolol

That, and I like-a mah slappin n poppin.

As I found out in my adventures, its much easier to slap ppop a bass then a guitar Razz
Drakon7
Drakon7

Back to top Go down

Post  BlackF89 Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:54 pm

Drakon7 wrote:lol mts

sex string bass is different tuning to a guitar, plus, its a much better octave Smile

lolol

That, and I like-a mah slappin n poppin.

As I found out in my adventures, its much easier to slap ppop a bass then a guitar Razz

Tell that to Reg Wooten haha
BlackF89
BlackF89

Back to top Go down

Post  willba Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:09 pm

If u got a 6 string, you could increase your learning ability by playing songs using all six strings, and if you then tried to play a four string it would probably seem much easier ^ ^
willba
willba
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  danthewelshy Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:36 pm

in my opinion. I wouldn't unless you have a thorough understanding of a 4 string (knowing note names without thinking and knowing scales well enough to be able to use them in situations at the drop of a hat.)Then when you move on a 6 string you will be thinkiing about using all 6 strings rather than playing safe by just using the EADG with a few additional notes from the B/C strings. Like I said all my opinion Smile

Dan
danthewelshy
danthewelshy

Back to top Go down

Post  willba Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:40 pm

True, although if u think it will benifit your technique and bass playing quality, and you arent gonna be thrown in at the deep end with it, id say its ok
willba
willba
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Dropthelines585 Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:43 pm

Your opinion doesn't matter lol! lol! lol! That could work the other way, too though, dan. What's the difference in learning scales on four strings as opposed to six? the shapes are all the same. You just have to know where to start over. I think the only thing he'll have to get used to is the wider fretboard. I'm sure that takes a toll on muscle memory.
Dropthelines585
Dropthelines585
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Pastichio Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:03 pm

Personally I'd go with a five before I'd get a six, I wouldn't have a use for a six unless it was just for personal indulgence and that's not worth the cost. Are you in a band? If so would your band benefit from a six string bass player? Or if you aren't in a band and you are considering joining/starting a band would that band need a six string bass? I know picking an instrument should be a personal thing and if you wanted to learn mandolin that is your prerogative but if I was you I would consider if having a six string would be worth having for realistic purposes, i.e what is required for a band. But to each their own.
Pastichio
Pastichio
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  BlackF89 Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:10 pm

I'd go with a 5 personally just for the extra low end, but if you're into jazz or the harmonics etc you can do on a 6 string go for it. Whatever makes you feel comfortable dude Smile
BlackF89
BlackF89

Back to top Go down

Post  Dropthelines585 Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:18 pm

BlackF89 wrote:I'd go with a 5 personally just for the extra low end, but if you're into jazz or the harmonics etc you can do on a 6 string go for it. Whatever makes you feel comfortable dude Smile

Listen to Adagio. Frank Hermanny uses a six string to it's full potential. And they're neo-classical prog metal.
Dropthelines585
Dropthelines585
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  BlackF89 Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:33 pm

Dropthelines585 wrote:
BlackF89 wrote:I'd go with a 5 personally just for the extra low end, but if you're into jazz or the harmonics etc you can do on a 6 string go for it. Whatever makes you feel comfortable dude Smile

Listen to Adagio. Frank Hermanny uses a six string to it's full potential. And they're neo-classical prog metal.

He's very bloody good, my favorite 6 string player at the moment though is probably Steven Bailey
BlackF89
BlackF89

Back to top Go down

Post  Dropthelines585 Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:35 pm

He's good. I'd never heard of him before.
Dropthelines585
Dropthelines585
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  BlackF89 Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:58 pm

You should check out bass extremes it's just an hour and a half of him and victor wooten being more awesome than everyone else
BlackF89
BlackF89

Back to top Go down

Post  Drakon7 Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:26 pm

My favourite is Jordan from Scale The Summit.

Amazing stuff.
Drakon7
Drakon7

Back to top Go down

Post  androssie Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:58 pm

did you buy it yet XD?
i would choose 5 strings, because Rob from metallica uses 1 XD
androssie
androssie

Back to top Go down

Post  Rushfan30 Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:46 am

I'd definitely go with one if you like how they play, and you like the idea of having two extra strings. I was worried when I tried one out that I would not like how they felt ( I really wanted to play one but was worried I just wouldn't like it), but I picked one up and enjoyed it! The only issue I had was with slapping and popping. That'd go away in time though. Plus it opens more windows of opportunity like this -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gc9Jk9Lqbwc&feature=channel_page
Rushfan30
Rushfan30

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down