Free Bass guitar lessons

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Free Bass guitar lessons
Free Bass guitar lessons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Talkin' Acoustic Basses

+3
Smaz
Drakon7
Garth
7 posters

Go down

Talkin' Acoustic Basses Empty Talkin' Acoustic Basses

Post  Garth Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:29 pm

Alright so I totally want an Acoutic Bass for christmas this year.

So I'm wondering what a fairly decent acoustic would go for. I know it's all about the feel, but some recommendations would be awesome from what you guys have experienced (I know there's a few of you guys with them on here).

And yeah I'm willing to spend a decent amount on this (parents would pitch in too since its christmas) So maybe something like $600-$800 Canadian.

Any advice is appreciated Smile
Garth
Garth

Back to top Go down

Talkin' Acoustic Basses Empty Re: Talkin' Acoustic Basses

Post  Drakon7 Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:50 pm

As much as everyone here knows what Ill say, Ill say it anyways

At my local music shop, there is this WONDERFUL fretless acoustic and its sound is lovely and its amazing.

All I can say is go down to a shop and try a few out! Cause acoustics speak to you more imo
Drakon7
Drakon7

Back to top Go down

Post  Smaz Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:16 am

I can't say I have any recommendations, but trying the bass out before you buy one is essential - I've heard mixed reviews over acoustic basses. I think you'd also be better off with an electro-acoustic, as my acoustic can't really compete with a couple of acoustic guitars (though I wouldn't say it's far off).

I have a Farida acoustic, though they're a UK only brand I believe. It's great, but the higher frets can sound a little lifeless, so be sure to check whichever bass you play sounds good even in the higher registers.
Smaz
Smaz

Back to top Go down

Post  danthewelshy Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:06 am

Well this may be an unpopular view but i'll say it anyway. I have no desire to get an acoustic bass, im seriously lost into where they actually fit in. They can't compete unplugged with acoustic guitars, first thoughts would be that there good for practacing in the house, but in my opinion you lose alot of the playability that your use to from an electric bass thus having to alter technique to be able to play the thing efficiently (at least I found when working in a music store for a week). Also you pay for what you get as with everything in general, but where as with electric bass I think you can pick up some great basses for around £250 with acoustics you are looking double that to get something decent.

Not really what you asked, just im giving you my opinion that i'd much rather use that $600-$800 on a even better electric bass that I would use far more in the long and short term. If you want an acoustic then go for it - but don't cheap out on it.
danthewelshy
danthewelshy

Back to top Go down

Post  Stryfer Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:59 pm

Get a double bass Laughing

I've never tried one, but I did want to buy one eventually. I've heard a song or 2 that Iron Maiden did live, where Harris played an acoustic. It sounds very decent.

I agree with everyone that it's probably too quiet, so whichever you get - make sure it has a pickup and you can plug it in an amp!

Stryfer

Back to top Go down

Post  BlackF89 Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:36 pm

I want an Ibanez electro acoustic
BlackF89
BlackF89

Back to top Go down

Post  Garth Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:39 pm

A double bass... Now there's an idea.

Only the really good ones go for like... $12000 lol.

I'm definitely going to look into seeing if there are any decent ones for around $600, used even.
Garth
Garth

Back to top Go down

Post  Spoon Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:50 pm

well if you dont make up your mind you could go for somthing completly differnt.
Spoon
Spoon

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down