Free Bass guitar lessons

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Free Bass guitar lessons
Free Bass guitar lessons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Considering bass

+5
Dropthelines585
willba
ThreeLetterSyndrom
SuperMaximo93
Rik
9 posters

Go down

Considering bass Empty Considering bass

Post  Rik Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:40 pm

Hi folks .I stumbled across these forums by checking out youtube while trying to decide which instrument I want to learn ( saw one of the awesome lessons ) . After having played the drums for 30 years I am no longer able to do that due to physical constraints, namely back problems . I'm seriously considering the bass ,because it stays "close to home " - after drums - and you're still part of the rythm section while it's different enough to be interesting .

Mind you: while I won't have any issue with the rythmic component - hopefully - I am a complete newbie when it comes to technique and theoretical stuff ( i.e. reading music ) . I'm contemplating options -provided I do decide to start with the bass- when it comes to a beginner's bass and came across some package deal :

http://en.woodbrass.com/IBANEZ+GSR190J-TR+ELECTRIC+BASS+GUITAR+PACK+-+JUMPSTART+SERIES+-+TRANSPARENT+RED+CHRISTMAS

I have read some reviews on this deal and everyone seems to agree the bass itself is cool but the amp sucks . Anyone have any experience with this particular instrument ?

Any advice would be most welcome ( for newbies ) .

Rik

Back to top Go down

Considering bass Empty Re: Considering bass

Post  SuperMaximo93 Sat Dec 26, 2009 4:18 pm

Hi, welcome to the forum, and (hopefully) welcome to bass! Very Happy Feel free to ask questions and take part in discussion

That starter pack would be a very good choice, I have the GSR200, which is only a small step up from the bass in the starter pack and its a great entry level bass, excellent value for money. As for the amp, it doesn't really matter, but if you're going to join a band you'll obviously want to upgrade
SuperMaximo93
SuperMaximo93

Back to top Go down

Post  ThreeLetterSyndrom Sat Dec 26, 2009 4:31 pm

Welcome to the forum! I'd say bass is a good option. Wink

My name is also Rik Razz

ThreeLetterSyndrom
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Considering bass Empty Considering bass

Post  willba Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:41 pm

I have that bass, tis awesome. As for the amp mine still works fine after 6 months(ive got a new amp now though(yesterday)) Its good for a freebie even though people have a terrible opion of it. Smile

Join us!
willba
willba
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Rik Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:26 pm

So, how long before you "hear it " ?

Explanation on what I mean : I can pretty much hear what a drummer is doing by listening to a song ( not necessarily reproduce it in its entirety ,but certainly able to break it down into small components and master parts of it ) or examining a drumlick. So I'm wondering how long it takes before you can do that with the bass ....

Rik

Back to top Go down

Post  Dropthelines585 Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:17 am

It's pretty obvious everyone here is going to tell you to play bass.

including me.

PLAY BASS!
Dropthelines585
Dropthelines585
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Blackdragon Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:26 am

Rik wrote:So, how long before you "hear it " ?

Explanation on what I mean : I can pretty much hear what a drummer is doing by listening to a song ( not necessarily reproduce it in its entirety ,but certainly able to break it down into small components and master parts of it ) or examining a drumlick. So I'm wondering how long it takes before you can do that with the bass ....

I'd say it depends from person to person, and how the bass itself is being played.
I'll hear somethings and pick out the bass in a second, somethings take a while and somethings i couldn't tell you if there was even a bass in it.
I find its easy to hear the great bassists while the ones that play the sub-standard of todays music could be taking a crap on their bass and i wouldn't know any better.
From the view of someone who's only been playing for just over a month, i'd say it'll come once you start getting a feel for the music.

As for playing or not... I like the rythem and i like the sound, if you dont like it then don't play it or you wont have any fun with it. Pretty simple to me and i hope you enjoy it.
Blackdragon
Blackdragon

Back to top Go down

Post  Some freaky guy Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:54 am

Dropthelines585 wrote:It's pretty obvious everyone here is going to tell you to play bass.

including me.

PLAY BASS!

And me.

PLAY BASS!
Some freaky guy
Some freaky guy
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  ThreeLetterSyndrom Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:37 pm

Well, that depends. If you practice, it'll go faster.
Bass's got a whole wider range of notes (not sounds) than a drum, though, so I think it's a bit harder.

ThreeLetterSyndrom
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  BlackF89 Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:45 pm

Unfortunately bass can sometimes be the victim of being put so low in the mix its almost impossible to hear it. Of course a decent bass line makes a song (my opinion) so if a songs good it probably wont be all that hard to pick up on the bass after a few weeks of playing.
BlackF89
BlackF89

Back to top Go down

Post  Rik Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:44 pm

Indeed,also check when you see concerts on TV . They focus on the guitar ( mostly ) and you rarely see drummers or bass players up close . That's why I love the Police concerts .It's hard t focus on just the guitar because there's only 3 guys Smile

Rik

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperMaximo93 Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:08 pm

Yeah, and do you notice that in loads of shows with a artist that has a band of like 6 or more people, the bass player is at the back, and the guitarist is at the front, but 99% of the time you can hear the bass clearly and you can't hear the guitar at all? WHY?! Razz
SuperMaximo93
SuperMaximo93

Back to top Go down

Post  Spoon Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:12 pm

SuperMaximo93 wrote:Yeah, and do you notice that in loads of shows with a artist that has a band of like 6 or more people, the bass player is at the back, and the guitarist is at the front, but 99% of the time you can hear the bass clearly and you can't hear the guitar at all? WHY?! Razz

It's because guitarist's are stereotyped into being the better stange performer and bassists aren't
Spoon
Spoon

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down